World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

13 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Should just respect the local culture and religious practices too obviously. Even if they're insane. Honestly far too many regions of the Arabian world aren't fit to hold global events. 

A basic rule of thumb could be "would this country hold a women's world Cup or a gay player world cup" if no, then no mens team should be playing there.

I agree with regards to Women's rights and that's enforceable as that mainly applies to the Arab world, but throwing LGBT rights in there is just impossible and will never work for the majority of the world at this moment. Hopefully that will change in the future.

There's probably more religions / people on the planet who oppose gay marriage / LGBT rights than support it. It's not just the Arab world, its the vast majority of Africa, a lot of South America, India and Russia. China is making progress but still far behind. As crazy we think some of their laws are disallowing it, the majority of the world think it's absolutely insane we actively push and promote it.

This is only an issue for a handful of countries in the world cup. 

11 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I'm boycotting, not that it's very hard. I find all the idiocy surrounding FIFA and Qatar much more entertaining. The few friends I have who've watched games say they've mostly been dull as hell.

I've watched about 75%, it's not been that bad, more than the Qatar bullshit I'd say its more my appetite to watch 4 games a day, its too much so I'm dipping in and out

Would say that there's been good games so far but that's more because of bad football like Germany vs Japan was a great result and shock but more because Germany weren't very good, Wales vs USA was a good game but because of it being 2 poor teams

there's only been 3 very good teams in England, France and Spain and even France looked lazy in the first half, there won't be a great game because of 2 great teams for another 2 weeks

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If you think 4 games a day is too much, wait until the next world  cup. That will have 48 teams and 80 games across half a continent. FIFA had a good thing going and they have ruined it.

Can not wait to watch Kazakhstan play Zambia. 

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

If you think 4 games a day is too much, wait until the next world  cup. That will have 48 teams and 80 games across half a continent. FIFA had a good thing going and they have ruined it.

Yeah, they're doing it as 16 groups of 3 teams so in theory it'll be 4 games from 4 groups per day so England would play Monday and then Thursday, it would actually be quicker than now so they'd be better off reducing the number of games per day to 3 to get a better spacing

More games overall but same number of games for each team

I’ve watched the equivalent of about 3 or 4 games so far.

The SA versus Argentina game was brilliant. The Belgium game last night wasn’t the best but not the worst either.

I watched a bit of Wales. All of the England game.

Edited by Genie

Mexican fans about to be punished by FIFA for homophobic chants during the game earlier in the week. Not sure if FIFA are trolling at this point 😂

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

Any idea what would have happened to any openly gay footballers at this world cup? Would they have been banned from entering Qatar?

Josh Cavallo, the Aussie player that just came out is over there.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Genie said:

Any idea what would have happened to any openly gay footballers at this world cup? Would they have been banned from entering Qatar?

Do you think they have a big database of who is gay and who isn't? 

Plenty of gay celebrities' holiday in Dubai with little or no issues.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Do you think they have a big database of who is gay and who isn't? 

Plenty of gay celebrities' holiday in Dubai with little or no issues.

No, but as they aren’t letting people walk around with stripes on their clothing I thought they might potentially take issue with an openly gay footballer (and his male partner?) being there.

I guess they’re turning a blind eye.

Â