World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Infantino looks like The Hood out of Thunderbirds

I thought I'd seen some mysteron rings crossing the pitch earlier, too. 

'This is the voice of Fifa. We will now tell you all of our nafarious plans in advance so that Captain Gary Linekar will be able to stop us.....'

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I'm only really seeing the results and a smattering of the comments that get posted here about the games.  I'm about as uninvested in it as I can be, but when a match result makes the main news headlines I know its getting a level of positive attention I'd rather it didn't.

Sounds like most viewing figures are below the norm. Not sure it's even close to enough to make FIFA care or think twice about hosting a future world cup in a similarly inappropriate location. 

viewing figures are probably not helped by 3 of the biggest teams kicking off in the afternoon. Not sure what time the Argentina kicked off for people over there 

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

viewing figures are probably not helped by 3 of the biggest teams kicking off in the afternoon. Not sure what time the Argentina kicked off for people over there 

7am. I was surprised they are only 3 hours behind us, I thought it would be 5 or 6. 

How many people here are actually boycotting the world cup and how many people just can't get interested in it?

Someone today asked me if I was enjoying it and when I told them that I hadn't watched a single second of it they came out with all of the "oh you are just jumping on the bandwagon, you not watching won't change anything" they didn't understand when I told them that I'm not boycotting it, there just hasn't been a single match on yet that I wanted to watch, when I was younger I would have made a point of watching every single game, Ecuador vs Somalia, I'd be watching it, that was a long time ago though, I barely watch any football outside of the villa these days, once the group stages are out of the way then yeah, I'll watch a few games but I can't be bothered sinking an entire 2 weeks of my life into it just because its "the world cup"

Not boycotting, just not bothered at the moment, I think the first time that there is a game on that I might watch is on Saturday and I can't even remember who is playing now. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

FIFA are now investigating homophobic chanting from Ecuador fans in the game vs Qatar

You cant make it up 😂

Not surprising, homophobia is rife around the world. Look at any Twitter thread about this issue. Truly diverse representation.

Carmen was assaulted – forced to flee prison and caning

Don't think for a moment that you are safe in Qatar just because you are well educated and on a job assignment.

That's what economist Carmen says, who came to Doha to work for Fifa.

The young woman was assaulted at home - but had to flee the country herself to avoid being imprisoned and whipped.

- I try to put everything behind me and don't talk to anyone. I have worked hard to have a career and want to continue working without carrying the burden of everything that has happened on my shoulders. I am more than the abuse, she says.

But then Carmen changes her mind, against the promise of anonymity. She realizes that her story is needed to poke holes in something that has become a truth about Qatar - that the country does not dare to enforce its adultery laws on people of high status.

She has heard the words repeated by pundits and pundits: the purpose of hosting the FIFA World Cup is to show their best side. Thus, it would be a PR own goal to punish a football tourist - or even worse, a person who works with the championship - on what the West considers to be dubious grounds.

But that's not true.

Carmen is living proof of that.

Sportbladet has already written about how Qatar's adultery laws risk turning perpetrators into victims: as a rule, investigations into rape are closed, but a police report can still be counted as consent that one has had extramarital sex, which is punishable by up to seven years in prison - and 100 whiplash if you are a devout Muslim. We have also told you that poor guest workers from Asia are hit the hardest.

But Carmen has studied at Harvard, is eloquent and has a large following. That doesn't make her case any more or less outrageous than anything else, but it does undermine the idea that high-status people should be spared from the country's justice system.

As an old midfielder, she landed her dream job last year when Fifa took her into a committee responsible for the World Cup arrangement in Qatar. For a few months, she lived her dream in Doha. She was well paid and had jobs to match her extensive education. She contributed to making the World Cup better, indeed to the whole country's promised improvement of guest workers' conditions.

One night an acquaintance broke into her house. He punched and pushed until she stopped defending herself and ended up on the floor. Carmen doesn't want to go into details about what happened next, but when the man left the apartment, she was bruised on her arm, shoulder and back.

Afraid of being disbelieved, she photographed the injuries, arranged for a medical certificate and went to the police. Nevertheless, the case was soon dropped for lack of evidence: the cameras were pointed in the wrong direction and did not capture the intrusion.

But Carmen's misery wasn't over, because the man claimed the two were in a relationship, making them both potential criminals. If the Muslim woman was convicted, caning could await.

According to her, the police demanded a "virginity test", an unscientific examination of her genitals, which she rejected by showing documents from her previous divorce. She was interrogated in Arabic, told to wear a hijab during the process and forced to hand over her mobile phone to ensure that she had not had inappropriate contact with men – especially the intruder.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/a/4o3bMe/fotbolls-vm-i-qatar-carmen-overfolls-riskerade-sjalv-fangelse

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/23/now-qatar-has-banned-fans-from-playing-football-outside-stadiums-17815768/

Doesn't seem to have been reported by any decent links but apparently they're now banning football at the World Cup. 

It's okay, you just need to know where to look to find the football, health care, alcohol and places where women aren't whipped for being raped.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

How many people here are actually boycotting the world cup and how many people just can't get interested in it?

Someone today asked me if I was enjoying it and when I told them that I hadn't watched a single second of it they came out with all of the "oh you are just jumping on the bandwagon, you not watching won't change anything" they didn't understand when I told them that I'm not boycotting it, there just hasn't been a single match on yet that I wanted to watch, when I was younger I would have made a point of watching every single game, Ecuador vs Somalia, I'd be watching it, that was a long time ago though, I barely watch any football outside of the villa these days, once the group stages are out of the way then yeah, I'll watch a few games but I can't be bothered sinking an entire 2 weeks of my life into it just because its "the world cup"

Not boycotting, just not bothered at the moment, I think the first time that there is a game on that I might watch is on Saturday and I can't even remember who is playing now. 

That is me. Intended to boycott and it has been easy because Im just not interested. Yet. Maybe changes when we reach the quarter-finals.

Â