World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Who the hell IS sponsoring this Shitshow anyway? If I was CEO of a large corporation I wouldn't want my name anywhere near it. 

Said before FIFA aren't daft, the sponsorship deals, the TV rights deals etc etc are all on long term multi tournament deals, I think its as many as 4 tournaments so if you're a Chinese TV manufacturer who wants the USA audience in 26 you've got to pay for Qatar in 22 too

Rewe sponsor the german national team (used to be Aldi not sure when it changed) same as England have the 5 main ones and then a load of official partners, they don't sponsor the WC in any way

what's happened is rewe have kicked up a fuss and binned off their sponsor deal with DFB and now the DFB have gone to the court of sports arbitration to claim loss of revenue off fifa 

Just now, magnkarl said:

Budweiser, Coke, Accor (received lots of stick in France), McDonalds, Visa etc are sponsors of the tournament, and then lots of local companies sponsor the teams.

Germany is rapidly losing all their national sponsors unless they win this suit and get to wear the band again.

So FIFA get to keep their bribes and filthy sponsors lucre but the national teams lose money. 

Great. 

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You can say what you want about the regimes of some of the countries in this WC. But you have to admit this is class from a fans perspective.

Looks a bit ghey to me. 

Should all be locked up. 

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I like it, hope it’s introduced in club football 

Might slowly put a stop to all the timewasting that goes on.

But then again players are quite dumb and I've noticed a few of them still doing it even though time will be added.

35 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You can say what you want about the regimes of some of the countries in this WC. But you have to admit this is class from a fans perspective.

Hell yeah those fans are going hard! Happy for them.

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Hello all. Australia here.

Just want to say thank you for letting us turn up to the WC.

See you again in 4 years time.... maybe.

Hey! We scored from open play!

And I'd say we'd be in trouble in 4 years time...if it wasn't expanding to 48 teams. We'll probably scape in again.

6 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Hello all. Australia here.

Just want to say thank you for letting us turn up to the WC.

See you again in 4 years time.... maybe.

I just can't believe your selection of players is so poor compared to what you had in late 90s/early 2000s. Back then you had starters for teams near top of prem and Serie A.

Started to decline from 2010 onwards so amazed you haven't done much about it especially with the A league slowly improving.

Played well first half but then the huge gulf in class became very visible second half.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I just can't believe your selection of players is so poor compared to what you had in late 90s/early 2000s. Back then you had starters for teams near top of prem and Serie A.

Started to decline from 2010 onwards so amazed you haven't done much about it especially with the A league slowly improving.

Played well first half but then the huge gulf in class became very visible second half.

A lot has changed in the last 20-30 years in the global landscape. I'm not sure much has changed in Australian football. It still has a massive fight on its hands for funding & media coverage from the established elite in Australian sport whilst other countries have poured time, effort & $ into developing their programs. Our previous peers have gone well past us.

35 minutes ago, Hornso said:

A lot has changed in the last 20-30 years in the global landscape. I'm not sure much has changed in Australian football. It still has a massive fight on its hands for funding & media coverage from the established elite in Australian sport whilst other countries have poured time, effort & $ into developing their programs. Our previous peers have gone well past us.

Aye, we are the lowest ranking team in Asia to qualify for this WC - and we scraped that.

Only 7 years ago we were Asian champions.

• Like 1

Could easily share in the Newcastle thread, but the despotic Saudi state still at it as ordinary Saudis enjoy the World Cup

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/22/saudi-execution-spree-continues-as-fears-rise-for-jordanian-on-death-row

Saudi execution spree continues as fears rise for Jordanian on death row

David Davis asks foreign secretary and Saudi ambassador to intervene in reprieve for Hussein Abo al-Kheir

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hornso said:

That plus the decade long power struggle between the aleague clubs and the ffa for control of the money at the top and the even increasing cost of youth Registration ( several hundred dollars per kid per season) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Icarium said:

That plus the decade long power struggle between the aleague clubs and the ffa for control of the money at the top and the even increasing cost of youth Registration ( several hundred dollars per kid per season) 

You're right of course. As much as the mainstream media and other sports conspire to keep Australian football in its place, we sure like getting in our own way with poor decisions and internal power struggles. 

• Like 1

Â