Our defensive positioning is going to kill us this season

Enda

I counted at least four times in the second half against Malaga where they had a player in space in the box. A quick pass or even an unfortunate ricochet would have seen them with the ball, in the box, unmarked. Four times!

I really like Tony Moon, but I don't think his positional awareness is much better than Joe Bennett's. He's been left standing against opposition of the quality of Shamrock Rovers and Walsall. I fear Arsenal and Chelsea are going to tear him to shreds.

I'd love nothing more than to come on here and eat my words on September 1st, but I think we'll be bottom of the table with no points after the first three matches of the season. (Miserable old sod, eh?)

It's been a very good transfer window for us, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. Defensively, we're shit. It's going to be a bumpy ride this season again.

• Like 2

I think its something were going to have to grin and bear with Lambert, lets be honest other than half a season with young dunne Collins Warnock as our back 4, we've been awful at basic defending since mellberg left and Maureen retired

Edited by Jimzk5

Have to agree, I think some of it due to tactical naivety by Lambert and others due to the poor positioning by both fullbacks. We did get exposed far too much and it is certainly a worry for the upcoming season amongst the many positives. Especially agree about Luna, his positioning was atrocious in an otherwise good performance.

Absolutely agree, I counted multiple times where they clipped a ball over the top of the defence and there was a Malaga player waiting. Very disappointing second half. Lambert should have changed it up and put Sylla and Westwood in the middle, Sylla especially. No energy in the second half at all. Worrying.

The majority of the players switched off after we went 3 up. Were probably more concerned with not getting injured than anything else. We tore them apart before that so even if we are lacking defensively, we certainly aint lacking offensively and that will do for me for the time being.

I think if you look at the pre-season as a whole, Lowton is still better going forwards than backwards and Luna is definitely better going forwards than defending. Our middle two I guess will probably be Okore and Vlaar who look okay, but don't get a huge amount of protection from midfield. Delph can help cover Luna and I think that will be key, but I think the OP is right, I think we'll concede a lot of goals this year - we just have to make sure we score a lot too.

I think if you look at the pre-season as a whole, Lowton is still better going forwards than backwards and Luna is definitely better going forwards than defending. Our middle two I guess will probably be Okore and Vlaar who look okay, but don't get a huge amount of protection from midfield. Delph can help cover Luna and I think that will be key, but I think the OP is right, I think we'll concede a lot of goals this year - we just have to make sure we score a lot too.

How do we all think Bacuna looks defensively? At right back I mean.

Maybe in the games where we will need to defend we'll see our defensive unit shaping up differently:

home.png
Bacuna
home.png
Okore
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Baker

home.png
Sylla

I can't see us dropping Lowton to play Bacuna as a make shift right back unless forced to. 

I think our poor defense is as much about the way we play as the personnel we have. Probably more so in fact.  

Even with Lowton staying at right back, Baker is a lot more solid defensively at left back and Sylla should provide more protection in his new anchoring role.

I expect that we'll let quite a few in again this season, but I don't think it will be as many as last season.

We seemed to struggle with the ball over the top today.

We did, and it looked to be at least partly due to the lack of a big defender to get his nut on them. Could this be the factor that eventually sees Baker come in to play alongside Okore?

• Like 1

Â