Our defensive positioning is going to kill us this season

Enda

It's not the end of the world.

Swansea are a good team, will probably be top 10 and they have won more point than us. Likes of Southampton and West Ham have had easier starts than us and they've both got 5 points on the board, Everton had a very good win on Saturday but have still drawn 3/4 games.

We'll be o.k.

We've conceded 6 goals in 4 games and most of these have come from attacks down the flanks. Our version of 4-3-3 is too narrow and puts too much pressure on our FBs, just like last season. This needs addressing if we've any hope of keeping a clean sheet.

KEA needs to be dropped, too lightweight and not a tackle in him (and he's not a makeshift CAM!).

Sylla would help balance things out in my opinion.

This is likely to happen, but no way could KEA have been dropped before the last game. He was playing brilliantly. But I do want Sylla to start, I'm pretty sure when he came in last year we had a massive improvement in form.

I'd love nothing more than to come on here and eat my words on September 1st, but I think we'll be bottom of the table with no points after the first three matches of the season.

Well, after four matches, I wasn't too far off :(

Well you were spot on about our ongoing defensive frailties, but any type of criticism on here and you get accused of being a negative moaning so and so.

One could argue you don't get a negative reputation from one or two negative posts, but by only posting negatives about the team, whenever one posts.

One could argue you don't get a negative reputation from one or two negative posts, but by only posting negatives about the team, whenever one posts.

Sod right off, that's unfair. I don't only complain about the team.

Sometimes I complain about the kit as well.

Sod right off, that's unfair. I don't only complain about the team.

Sometimes I complain about the kit as well.

How are you on the catering at Villa park?

I deliberately used the word 'one' rather than 'you' so it couldn't be misconstrued and nobody would feel like I was targeting them.

Edit: I left a 'you' in. Oops :D

Edited by StefanAVFC

How are you on the catering at Villa park?

It's shocking. The prawn sandwiches are far better in Old Trafford.

I deliberately used the word 'one' rather than 'you' so it couldn't be misconstrued and nobody would feel like I was targeting them.

I appreciate that. I was only messing.

In all seriousness, I don't think you can be called negative/pessimistic if your predictions are accurate.

Jesus the over reactions on here are crazy. One loss and Luna should be dropped, Bennett (?) back in the team, formation is wrong, midfielders aren't up to it, weimann should be dropped, we're going to be a relegation battle, etc. 

We're a mid table team full of 10 midtable players with one outstanding forward. We're setup to counter attack so we'll probably have more success away from home than at home and we're going to have lots of ups and downs over the course of the season with inconsistency being a buzz word for our form. We're the type of team that needs to be judged over 6 game spells, not after one good or bad performance.

KEA needs to be dropped, too lightweight and not a tackle in him (and he's not a makeshift CAM!).

Sylla would help balance things out in my opinion.

This is likely to happen, but no way could KEA have been dropped before the last game. He was playing brilliantly. But I do want Sylla to start, I'm pretty sure when he came in last year we had a massive improvement in form.

Brilliantly is over the top. He had been better than the bollocks he served up last year but reverted to type against Newcastle

Jesus the over reactions on here are crazy. One loss and Luna should be dropped, Bennett (?) back in the team, formation is wrong, midfielders aren't up to it, weimann should be dropped, we're going to be a relegation battle, etc. 

We're a mid table team full of 10 midtable players with one outstanding forward. We're setup to counter attack so we'll probably have more success away from home than at home and we're going to have lots of ups and downs over the course of the season with inconsistency being a buzz word for our form. We're the type of team that needs to be judged over 6 game spells, not after one good or bad performance.

We are a nowhere near being a mid table team.

I think Villa were like 3 or 4 points away last year.

We'll see at the end of the season. We were 3 points away from being a midtable side last season and I think we've improved enough to get a 4-5 point increase this season.

We'll see at the end of the season. We were 3 points away from being a midtable side last season and I think we've improved enough to get a 4-5 point increase this season.

That assumes no-one else has improved!

• 2 weeks later...

One black mark today, two goals conceded from corner kicks, it's just like old times. Disappointing when we had three centre halfs starting.

Still can't get over the first one, Yaya Toure standing on his own on the 6 yard box, we don't half concede some really easy goals sometimes. Particularly as we had worked so hard to keep it 0-0 at half time.

I'm not quite sure type of

Defensive system we played for set pieces was it zonal or man marking? At one stage in today's game I saw all the villa players stand across the 6 yard line, during a corner. They can't concentrate both on the ball and the player which seriously screws us over. Have to question what actually goes on in training 're defending set pieces!

Â