Things that scare you

Eames

My department is being forced to individually give presentations out to the rest of the company so that they can feel more engaged with us... even though we are the department that everyone engages with the most. Our head basically likes to hear himself talk and expects everyone else to enjoy it just the same and has made it part of our objectives for the year, so if we donn't give talks / presentations on something, we might not get our bonus or affect our potential pay rises next year. Best part is, these are expected to be done during lunch time so anyone who wants to can attend, so you're also giving up your free time too.

I absolutely hate speaking to groups of people, just the thought gives me anxiety.

Starting to regret not taking that other job offer back in August. I'd have more home working, I wouldn't have the crushing situation I mentioned in the relationship thread and I wouldn't be getting foreced into doing this crap.

• Like 1

I love sharks but the idea of actually being in the water with one freaks me out.

The first holiday I ever went on with the wife we went for a swim in the ocean and swam out to the shark net. However, I then realised it wasn't a shark net and was just a marker point.

Without saying a word I turned and swam straight out the water as fast as I could leaving the wife at the marker.

Nearly 20 years later she still gives me grief about it.

10 hours ago, El Zen said:

Worse than death according to an old Seinfeld bit.

I have absolutely no problems with it personally. I rather enjoy it. 

Edit: Public speaking, that is. Not death.

You're a teacher, aren't you? Comes with the territory. Public speaking, that is. Not death. Unless you're in the U.S. 

I'm OK with public speaking, too. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, villaajax said:

My department is being forced to individually give presentations out to the rest of the company so that they can feel more engaged with us... even though we are the department that everyone engages with the most. Our head basically likes to hear himself talk and expects everyone else to enjoy it just the same and has made it part of our objectives for the year, so if we donn't give talks / presentations on something, we might not get our bonus or affect our potential pay rises next year. Best part is, these are expected to be done during lunch time so anyone who wants to can attend, so you're also giving up your free time too.

I absolutely hate speaking to groups of people, just the thought gives me anxiety.

Starting to regret not taking that other job offer back in August. I'd have more home working, I wouldn't have the crushing situation I mentioned in the relationship thread and I wouldn't be getting foreced into doing this crap.

Yep I'm the same, **** hate presentations and speaking in front of people

I'm fairly relaxed about talking to strangers at work, holding meetings or taking control of a meeting or even like workshops I can talk in order to steer and manipulate a group in the way I want it all of which might give the impression that I'm good at presentations... But I'm really not, anything in a rigid structure and rules and expectations doesn't work for me

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You're a teacher, aren't you? Comes with the territory. Public speaking, that is. Not death. Unless you're in the U.S. 

I'm OK with public speaking, too. 

Yep, absolutely. I love that job for a reason. The classroom is my stage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I love sharks but the idea of actually being in the water with one freaks me out.

The first holiday I ever went on with the wife we went for a swim in the ocean and swam out to the shark net. However, I then realised it wasn't a shark net and was just a marker point.

Without saying a word I turned and swam straight out the water as fast as I could leaving the wife at the marker.

Nearly 20 years later she still gives me grief about it.

I don’t mind sharks , it’s just ones that play the cello that scare me  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I guess it suits us extrovert egotists. 

Wouldn’t know. I’m an ambivert (leaning introvert) altruist 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Zen said:

Wouldn’t know. I’m an ambivert (leaning introvert) altruist 😉

Well, so am I, I guess. But isn't that just like... a normal person? 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Well, so am I, I guess. But isn't that just like... a normal person? 

I’m a normal person, my mother keeps assuring me. 

• Haha 1

Another one for heights.

Although I even struggle with particularly perilous depictions of height on TV and film. Hands sweaty, feet tingle. 

This post has been prompted by me catching the opening five minutes of Cliffhanger on ITV4.

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

As a new parent it's the baby sharks that scare me the most 

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! NOW IT'S BACK IN MY HEAD AGAIN, DAMN YOU!!! 

• Like 1

petrified of heights but only certain situations. you'd never in a million years get me to do a sky dive or bungee jump, but i'd do any roller coaster, no matter how tall

public speaking though...absolutely petrifying. thank god for covid because all meetings/presentations are now via zoom due to hybrid working so there's no more standing on a stage. for some reason i find it loads easier. had to do a best man speach once and got absolutely hammered just to be able to stand up to speak. i don't remember much of the evening after that.

10 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Another one for heights.

Although I even struggle with particularly perilous depictions of height on TV and film. Hands sweaty, feet tingle. 

This post has been prompted by me catching the opening five minutes of Cliffhanger on ITV4.

Same.  Saw a trailer for "Fall" a while ago - **** me.  No.

• Like 2

Â