Manchester United

BOF

3 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Rashford is having surgery on his shoulder and will be out until October apparently

I read that the other day. It said he’s been struggling with it for 6 months. 

can picture the design team meeting 

"you cant really do much with a man utd home shirt"

"then dont..."

its a v neck collar away from being the exact same as the benfica home shirt, scary to say it but at £65 its relatively cheap and theres only one version that i can see, real madrid by comparison have the standard at £85 and a special at £130, i expect bayern to be the same

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

"then dont..."

its a v neck collar away from being the exact same as the benfica home shirt, scary to say it but at £65 its relatively cheap and theres only one version that i can see, real madrid by comparison have the standard at £85 and a special at £130, i expect bayern to be the same

£85 to be a walking billboard.

What a time to be alive

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

"then dont..."

I noticed Villa have a version of the home shirt for £90. It’s a disgrace.

Standard one is £57.

Thousands and thousands of kids up and down the country in (copy/fake) England shirts this summer as they were £20. 
It’s still not exactly a give away, but I do wonder how many shirts someone like Villa or United would shift if they sold original ones for £20/£25. Millions of them is my guess.

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

I noticed Villa have a version of the home shirt for £90. It’s a disgrace.

Standard one is £57.

Thousands and thousands of kids up and down the country in (copy/fake) England shirts this summer as they were £20. 
It’s still not exactly a give away, but I do wonder how many shirts someone like Villa or United would shift if they sold original ones for £20/£25. Millions of them is my guess.

I remember back when Lotto were making Fiorentina's kit some years back, they actually had 3 tiers of official kit you could buy; the match ones, the regular ones, and then one where the badge, sponsor and other livery was printed directly to the shirt rather than sewn/embossed or whatever.  Looked largely as good as the regular kits, and think they worked out about ~£20 a top.  I've never seen this type of thing elsewhere or ever again, so assuming the trend didn't take-off but seemed like a reasonable idea at the time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Genie said:

🙋‍♂️

Its good quality too, you'd never know 

Said in the main kit thread it's FFP for me, if man utd want Adidas to pay them £65m a year or whatever it is then Adidas are going to increase the price of their shirt, they're going to do this tier thing with a bog standard £10 shirt with a utd badge on it and charge them £65 

My disappointment is that the training gear is now £40+, I don't think there is a single villa top with sponsor and kappa branding for less than that, that's the market that's missing 

The pro kits are the same as what the players wear. There's a market for that. A lot of people value quality and authenticity and would pay the premium for it. 

It's the same in American sports, in the NBA for example you have 3 tiers of jerseys. Replica - the lowest tier, mesh material with screen printed names and numbers (also the shoulders are much wider than the actual jerseys for whatever reason), then there's the Swingman which has single-stitched detailing and regular sized shoulders and the top tier are the Authentics which are pretty much exactly what the players wear (and are $300 a pop!). Don't think it has anything to do with fleecing the fans to be honest but more giving them options. 

For example, at Villa there is a huge gulf in quality between the Stadium and Kombat kits. Knowing this now, I don't think I'll be ever buying the Stadium kit anymore and will wait til the Pro kits go on sale. I got mine 75% off last time and it was cheaper than what the Stadium kits were going for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rino8 said:

£85 to be a walking billboard.

What a time to be alive

Slightly better than a Chinese gambling site. 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

For example, at Villa there is a huge gulf in quality between the Stadium and Kombat kits. Knowing this now, I don't think I'll be ever buying the Stadium kit anymore and will wait til the Pro kits go on sale. I got mine 75% off last time and it was cheaper than what the Stadium kits were going for. 

Are the premium / player shirts super tight fit too? There’s not many fans that could wear one and not be spilling out of it!

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are the premium / player shirts super tight fit too? There’s not many fans that could wear one and not be spilling out of it!

They are, you just have to go 2 sizes up on your normal size to not look silly :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The pro kits are the same as what the players wear. There's a market for that. A lot of people value quality and authenticity and would pay the premium for it. 

It's the same in American sports, in the NBA for example you have 3 tiers of jerseys. Replica - the lowest tier, mesh material with screen printed names and numbers (also the shoulders are much wider than the actual jerseys for whatever reason), then there's the Swingman which has single-stitched detailing and regular sized shoulders and the top tier are the Authentics which are pretty much exactly what the players wear (and are $300 a pop!). Don't think it has anything to do with fleecing the fans to be honest but more giving them options. 

It’s all about fleecing the fans.

It’s marketing 101. If you want to upsell a product create three products and pitch the one you want to sell in the middle. Human psychology is wired to see the middle one as ‘just right’ and ‘value’. Even though it would seem overpriced as a stand alone option.

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

It’s all about fleecing the fans.

It’s marketing 101. If you want to upsell a product create three products and pitch the one you want to sell in the middle. Human psychology is wired to see the middle one as ‘just right’ and ‘value’. Even though it would seem overpriced as a stand alone option.

I was just referring to the price of the authentic kits. The regular kits are probably overpriced, but given the quality difference in the authentic shirts it makes sense. Of course none of the shirts are actually worth what they're marking them up for, but relatively speaking the pro kits don't seem too outrageously priced.

4 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I remember back when Lotto were making Fiorentina's kit some years back, they actually had 3 tiers of official kit you could buy; the match ones, the regular ones, and then one where the badge, sponsor and other livery was printed directly to the shirt rather than sewn/embossed or whatever.  Looked largely as good as the regular kits, and think they worked out about ~£20 a top.  I've never seen this type of thing elsewhere or ever again, so assuming the trend didn't take-off but seemed like a reasonable idea at the time.

I remember these shirts in Spain as a kid, knockoff shirts everywhere.

All the major teams of the era, Juventus, Milan and the two major Spanish teams.

I had a few myself about thirty years ago.

33 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I remember these shirts in Spain as a kid, knockoff shirts everywhere.

They were essentially that, just officially licensed and slightly better quality.

I used to love picking up those knockoff shirts on holiday when I was a kid, I would absolutely hoover them up then rock up for sports sessions in school kitted out like some proto-FKW.  Halcyon days.

Â