VillaGoMarching

1 hour ago, gharperr said:

So...surely this pochettino fella has started to become serious name thrown in the hat for united/city/chelsea job? Cant be much longer surely? He'll never get given the funds to win the prem with spurs and noway will they be offering him the amount of money other big teams can offer. It will probably go a bit AVB if terry insists on playing if he ever did go to chelsea. But swap terry for stones and it should help a ton

Also easily best cb pairing in the prem atm right? Pretty mad to think Ali just signed a new contract worth 25kp/w i think it was. (obviously he will get a new one at end of year if he keeps producing, but still weird to think about)

*showing i dont only talk about one london club....

Don't know how often you are in the U.K but plenty of the press are already mentioning him with regards to those jobs. I think personally Simeone is nailed on for the Chelsea job. Given Poch is an ex PSG player I'd say he might be an outside tip for that but think they'd all still and how he does with a season in the CL before approaching.

So....still think Spurs shoud finish 5th gharperr? As it's too much hard work if they finish top 4. Personally think they need to just to keep Kane, Lloris and especially Alli.

Yes I agree it's the strongest defensive spine in the league. Lloris is magnificent, I did say Toby Alderweilder was one of the best signings of the season as he was excellent at Southampton last year and seems to have woken Vertonghen up. Only thing I would say is wasn't sure on the full backs but Poch is really clever in rotating, some weeks it's Walker and Rose, others it's Trippier and Ben Davies.

Alli's got to start for England in the summer surely? No surprise on the deal as they were paying Modric 25k the first 18 months he was there. Interesting to see how that compares to what we were paying D*lph when he was there.

Yeah that's an interesting point and raises the question....should England just call up as many of them as possible seeing as they're all part of a winning team who'll make the CL next season and know each other's game?

Alli and Kane are certs, If Walker can stay fit him aswell probably but likes of Rose and Trippier will want a say also. I'll pass on Mason.

28 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't know how often you are in the U.K but plenty of the press are already mentioning him with regards to those jobs. I think personally Simeone is nailed on for the Chelsea job. Given Poch is an ex PSG player I'd say he might be an outside tip for that but think they'd all still and how he does with a season in the CL before approaching.

So....still think Spurs shoud finish 5th gharperr? As it's too much hard work if they finish top 4. Personally think they need to just to keep Kane, Lloris and especially Alli.

ahh ok. i didnt know that

well...i think theyll finish third now. but i dont think they will be able to hold that over the next 2/3 years (or 4th). if poch can manage to do that then, they should be throwing so much money to keep him in because it will be a redic achievemant. I guess united being a bit silly recently helps them a lot to get 4th, but united should be ahead of them and should be able to correct themselves

Also agree likeable under poch. But i also liked them under AVB, just anything but redknapp makes them likeable imo.

Ali and kane have to start for england. Not the most keen on rose and think others should be ahead of him.

Edited by gharperr

They have as good a chance as anybody of winning the title. Any of the top 4 can win it, including Leicester who its hard to believe are now 3 pts clear at the top.

Edited by PaulC

What points total do people think is going to be good enough to win the league. In previous seasons 85-90 points has been enough although it's obviously going to be way lower than that this year.

I'd still be cautious and say something between 77-80 points as teams like Man. City and Arsenal can suddenly click and win 5 games in a row which would dramatically change things.

Reason I'm ruling out Spurs is to get to 80 points they need to win 12 and draw 2 of their last 16 games. That is a tough tough ask for a team who still have to go to Man. City, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Stoke etc. Don't forget in this great run they've still had results like losing at home to Leicester and Newcastle and drawing at West Brom so when you're behind and chasing you have little margin for error. 

That and the europa league starting again as Pochettino fields very strong sides in that competition although he may need to have a rethink.

From what I've said before though Leicester have a cracking chance now. I still think they'll fall short but to reach 80 points they need to win 10 and draw 3 of their last 16. With the threat they have that is very doable particuarly as they've facing a lot of bottom half teams at home in the run in like Norwich, West Brom, Swansea, Newcastle.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What points total do people think is going to be good enough to win the league. In previous seasons 85-90 points has been enough although it's obviously going to be way lower than that this year.

I'd still be cautious and say something between 77-80 points as teams like Man. City and Arsenal can suddenly click and win 5 games in a row which would dramatically change things.

Reason I'm ruling out Spurs is to get to 80 points they need to win 12 and draw 2 of their last 16 games. That is a tough tough ask for a team who still have to go to Man. City, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Stoke etc. Don't forget in this great run they've still had results like losing at home to Leicester and Newcastle and drawing at West Brom so when you're behind and chasing you have little margin for error. 

That and the europa league starting again as Pochettino fields very strong sides in that competition although he may need to have a rethink.

From what I've said before though Leicester have a cracking chance now. I still think they'll fall short but to reach 80 points they need to win 10 and draw 3 of their last 16. With the threat they have that is very doable particuarly as they've facing a lot of bottom half teams at home in the run in like Norwich, West Brom, Swansea, Newcastle.

I think 75/76 pts will win it. Theres only Leicester averaging 2 pts a game at this stage. If they keep that up they win it in my opinion, obviously I don't think they will but think they will finish top 4 now.

Edited by PaulC

11 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

We were favourites to sign Dele Alli. IIRC they gazumped us at the last minute for him. £5m from MK Dons under Paul Lambert.

Thats the point we get bloody westwood while spurs get Alli. they have much better scouting system than us. We signed how many players from the lower leagues, players like bennett and none of them have been a success

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats the point we get bloody westwood while spurs get Alli. they have much better scouting system than us. We signed how many players from the lower leagues, players like bennett and none of them have been a success

I don't think there's anything wrong with the scouting system if we were in for Alli and other players. Scouting them and trying to recruit them is one thing, but getting them to sign when we're tighter than a virgin locked in traffic, and especially when clubs like Spurs are interested is another. For example, when we were in the market for a LB in Lambert's first season, we were heavily linked to Aaron Cresswell and even made contact with Ipswich (I think) but were priced out of a move. We just couldn't afford to spend 8M on a LB when we had to buy like 20 players for 20M :lol: . So instead Lambert had to compromise and go for Joe Bennett and we all know how that worked out. And now people our pointing to Cresswell as an example of good scouting, as if we didn't scout and actively try to recruit him.

For what it's worth I think Westwood was superb value and his signing isn't a slight on our scouting system at all. He was playing in the 3rd tier of English football and for 1M he made the step up to the PL and has been providing us with consistently decent performances, with the odd excellent performances like the one from last week. Surely our scouting set-up should be praised for that? Just because he isn't borderline world class doesn't mean we're shit (we are, but that's not the point :D ).

• Like 2

Well obviously our scouts did spot him because we tried to sign him. Besides it didn't really need an amazing scouting system to spot Alli, he'd scored 12 goals in 25 games for MK Dons and was getting a lot of attention. I think the comparisons with Westwood are unfair too, Alli cost five times as much, played in a much more attacking role and at a higher level than Westwood when we got him from Crewe. It'd be like watching a £30M striker and moaning that Gestede's not as good as that player.

Edited by useless
A better comparison to Tottenham signing Alli, would be us signing Delph.
  • Like 1

Wait no, make that 4th tier of English football (!). The Alli signing is similar to when we signed Delph all those years ago and had to fend of Man City and the likes for his signature. The kid was very highly rated and coveted. It's not like he was a nobody.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Westwood was signed years ago, I don't really know why he's getting compared to Alli. As other have said, Alli cost more and was signed from 2 leagues above Westwood. it's pretty logical that he's a better player.

"They have much better scouting than us", well, they probably do. But you can't use Alli as an example because we also tried to sign him. Surely that shows that in this scenario our scouts did exactly the same thing. 

He chose Spurs, as any player with a brain would at the moment. That's not our scouts fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the Spurs ship is sailing very very straight at the moment.  They have that air about them of a very solid and confident side.  Even down to going to Colchester and brushing them aside with the nonchalance of a top side not breaking sweat.  It's no wonder Pochettino is being linked to even bigger jobs now.  Not just because he's capable but so as to stop Spurs from climbing any further.  They're one of the few sides who could break up the cartel and permanently stay there.

Their problem going forward will be how they maintain competitiveness whilst paying for their new stadium.  There are tougher days on the distant horizon, but right now their only immediate worry is keeping Harry Kane fit, because if they were to lose him they'd lose their one outstanding goal threat.  I can't see Sun, Eriksen or Lamela carrying that burden.

Â