Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I find the differences in teams being plurals quite interesting.

Only realised it because I bought "Why England Lose and Other Curious Football Phenomena Explained" (a book) and couldn't find the difference between that book and a book called "Soccernomics"

And it's because there is no difference and they changed the title in the US, because "Why England Lose..." doesn't make sense to an American audience. They would say "Why England Loses...", which subsequently wouldn't make sense to us.

Similarly, I assume they would say "If Villa loses this weekend", whereas we'd obviously refer to Villa as a plural.

The only consistency seems to be that they insist on being different. I might tell someone where I am. They tell them where they're at. That's another one that has crept into British English recently too.

I find the differences in teams being plurals quite interesting.

Only realised it because I bought "Why England Lose and Other Curious Football Phenomena Explained" (a book) and couldn't find the difference between that book and a book called "Soccernomics"

And it's because there is no difference and they changed the title in the US, because "Why England Lose..." doesn't make sense to an American audience. They would say "Why England Loses...", which subsequently wouldn't make sense to us.

Similarly, I assume they would say "If Villa loses this weekend", whereas we'd obviously refer to Villa as a plural.

Yeah I don't mind that one so much. I think I remember a discussion on that very subject possibly with Mike & Levi a few years back on here.

american chefs in an american recipe cooking competition in america

also known as the world food championship

Another one we've done to death :lol: Granted, for things like baseball and American football they can probably rightfully claim that the winner probably is the best team on the planet - even if it's still wrong to call it so in a 1-country competition. But cooking food??? Haha. C'mon America. Really? :)

People who complain about the length of albums (and songs!) as if music should be charged (and judged) by the minute.

I've recently bought two albums - Jeff Lynne's "Long Wave" and Neil Young's "Psychedelic Pill". The first is very short (but excellent), the second is very long (but excellent). At HMV prices, the Lynne was eight quid, the Young was twelve.

There are already people on Amazon going on about how Psychedelic Pill has one track (the opener "Driftin' Back") which at 27 minutes is longer than Jeff's entire album. LIke that means anything whatsoever.

Stop bean counting, listen to the music, and see how it makes you feel.

• Like 1

Having blocked ears. I wake up with ringing in my ears but can't actually hear a lot (and this has been happening for the past week). Damn you wax, damn yoooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Time to buy me some earex.

Having blocked ears. I wake up with ringing in my ears but can't actually hear a lot (and this has been happening for the past week). Damn you wax, damn yoooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Time to buy me some earex.

I recommend getting your ears flushed by a nurse, it feels like a brain massage

People who complain about the length of albums (and songs!) as if music should be charged (and judged) by the minute.

I've recently bought two albums - Jeff Lynne's "Long Wave" and Neil Young's "Psychedelic Pill". The first is very short (but excellent), the second is very long (but excellent). At HMV prices, the Lynne was eight quid, the Young was twelve.

There are already people on Amazon going on about how Psychedelic Pill has one track (the opener "Driftin' Back") which at 27 minutes is longer than Jeff's entire album. LIke that means anything whatsoever.

Stop bean counting, listen to the music, and see how it makes you feel.

To be fair, though, when I'm deciding whether an album from a band I have no experience with is worth buying, downloading, whatever, I do take a look at the track lengths. If there's a single song longer then eight minutes or more songs longer than six than shorter than four minutes, then I am very likely to decide that the album and band are worth trying out.

Even within an artist's discography, this rule tends to serve me well, with amazingly few false negatives and false positives.

The BBC's rather condescending view that we have no concept of how big America is, so they have to transpose Hurricane Sandy onto a map of Europe so we can see excatly how big it is.

tbf, given the number of Britons who think they can squeeze New York, Disney, Vegas and Yellowstone into a one-week driving holiday (even a one-week holiday with internal flights is borderline for that itinerary!), I'm not sure that the BBC's condescension is unwarranted.

(not commenting on any specific VT travelers... but VTers are, I suspect, smarter than the average Briton (which might have something to do with supporting Villa!))

Â