Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

How do you lose a t-shirt? Or is there somewhere you think you might have left it?

I strongly suspect that it was the victim of a girlfriend-lead wardrobe purge.

The inquisition will begin when she gets home from work.

I lost my favourite football shirt recently. Not a replica kit, I mean a shirt that I play football in (it was a villa training top from about 2008)

I don't know where it could have gone. I only ever wear it to play football, don't remove it before I get home after I've played, and it usually goes straight in the wash.

I live on my own (technically I have a lodger but it's about 3 months since he actually spent a night in the house) so there's nowhere it could have gone.

But alas, gone it has.

Just watching a golf tournament where the player who comes last wins £150k

Boy do I feel like my life didn't pan out well

If I was watching golf on telly I'd also be questioning my life's direction. ;)
  • Like 1

The Yanks again, and their continued bastardisation of the English language.

The word 'on' seems to have been removed from their vocabulary, especially when referring to dates.

Such as "Mr XXXXXXX is due in court Thursday", or "such and such wrote Monday".

And a recent Americanisation I've become aware of in sport is that 'defence' is now a verb. You no longer defend something, you defence it.

The cornerback defenced the pass :puke:

The pissing about with the buses in Brum City Centre. I don't catch the bus into the centre all that much but for years I've known exactly where I can get on and get off for the various buses I'm likely to use. I had to try and get home this afternoon and I'm **** if know where anything was. And since my knowledge of street names is wank, I hadn't got a **** clue where anything was. This shouldn't piss me off because I had my phone on me so was seconds away from knowing everything I needed but **** it, I was indignant.

So I went and got a taxi for sake of ease and speed and just getting me the **** home.

Which also pissed me off, because the taxi had a daft sliding door I struggled to close without hurling it with intent to break some bearings, the seat creaked and cracked like it was designed to fold down and someone had bust it, the fare started at £2.20, the bloke took a slightly longer route that I use as my test of 'You're trying it on, buddy' and it ultimately cost me £16.60.

And a recent Americanisation I've become aware of in sport is that 'defence' is now a verb. You no longer defend something, you defence it.

The cornerback defenced the pass :puke:

"Pass defense" (related "passes defensed") has been the NFL's official term for batting the ball away for many years now (though most of the time, to be fair, you see it abbreviated on the stat sheet to "Pass Def"). It's pretty much only in that context that defense gets verbed.

The Yanks again, and their continued bastardisation of the English language.

The word 'on' seems to have been removed from their vocabulary, especially when referring to dates.

Such as "Mr XXXXXXX is due in court Thursday", or "such and such wrote Monday".

Though, in the same vein, I've never understood why articles get dropped, especially before "hospital".

That said, the dropping of on is pretty much exclusive to journalistic contexts; it's likely due to the need to economise on words and letters in print. Style guides incorporate that practice and subsequent generations of journalists have that drilled into them.

Yeah, don't think it ever works.

Anyone ever seen the Only Fools and Arses 'adult movie? I saw a scene from it online a while back, funnier than the real program. 'Del' does his catchphases, then comes the canned laughter, then he and 'Rodders' sort out a couple of slappers. WIN!

Got up this morning, wander downstairs, get to the bottom of the stairs and ****, wet sock. Look up and the ceiling is wet, and dripping.

My expert eye has discovered that the drip originates from the water tank directly above the wet ceiling, but beyond that, **** knows. I've now got to remember to keep my shoes on all day and dodge the drips whenever I go upstairs.

Use of conjunctions (or not) is one of the big differences between British English and American English.

We (the Brits) protest about the war, they protest the war.

We write to someone, they write someone.

On the other hand, we meet someone, they meet with someone.

Just one of those things.

Â