Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I put it down to this handy rule-of-thumb: The further away from the coast you go, the stupider people get.

I'm torn on whether to agree. I can see the sea from my house, but I have a desk in Redditch and support Villa.

If I'm not mistaken, the point in Great Britain furthest from the sea is in Derbyshire, just up the road from Tamworth, which would probably imply that Villa have the stupidest fanbase in the Premier League.

On the subject of North American cultural differences, it's also notable to point out that in general Anglophone Canadians have more in common with the Americans across the border than they do with further away Anglophone Canadians (e.g. a Nova Scotian is more like a Mainer or other New Englander than an Ontarian). See Garreau's Nine Nations of North America.

I've been in the office for 45 minutes and two things have already pissed me off.

One guy has said he's banned his kids from watching the SImpsons (they're 9 and 11) as it's too adult.

Secondly, my supervisor doesn't understand sarcasm/banter.

He does a lot of running and someone joked that when he went running last night he must have done trick or treating at the same time.

Him: "no I didn't trick or treat. It would make the run much more tiring if I had to keep stopping"

Me: "So you didn't dress up?"

Him: "No"

Me: "Not even a blonde wig, cigar and a shell suit?"

Him: "I don't have a shell suit"

Me: "Call yourself a proper runner and you don't even have a shell suit?"

Him: "Runners don't wear shell suits. They probably did in the 1980's but not these days"

Me: :mellow:

^^^Sounds like the true definition of 'barrel of laughs'.

One of my old bosses in the NHS would always answer 'is it?' whenever I said 'good morning!' We got to calling him 'Izzet' between ourselves because he'd say it at least 10 times to different people.

When he twigged he walked around the office shouting 'so it's funny, is it?...is it? Is it!?' With not an iota of realisation at what he was doing.

The misuse of the term "lesser spotted" to mean "not seen very often".

A lesser spotted woodpecker is a woodpecker with spots - a smaller one than a large woodpecker with spots. Etcetera.

The misuse of the term "lesser spotted" to mean "not seen very often".

A lesser spotted woodpecker is a woodpecker with spots - a smaller one than a large woodpecker with spots. Etcetera.

:P

Must admit I use that quite often, for people that are not oft seen. I know that I'm not using the 'phrase' in it's correct sense, but I just like it. I also like the fact that any bird/animal this is called 'lesser spotted' is quite often not seen regularly by humans anyway, so in that sense, it works.

Someone that is spotted less often (in public) is indeed lesser spotted.

And an uncommon very rare lesser spotted woodpecker is just a lesser spotted woodpecker that has accumulated some wealth during his lifetime, who hasn't been cooked enough.

And a wild uncommon very rare lesser spotted woodpecker is a lesser spotted woodpecker that has accumulated some wealth during his lifetime and spends it mainly on booze, women, coke and gambling. And he's not been cooked enough.

And a wild uncommon very rare lesser spotted woodpecker is a lesser spotted woodpecker that has accumulated some wealth during his lifetime and spends it mainly on booze, women, coke and gambling. And he's not been cooked enough.

And the Ring-necked wild uncommon very rare lesser spotted woodpecker is a lesser spotted woodpecker that has accumulated some wealth during his lifetime and spends it mainly on booze, women, coke and gambling. He enjoys a regular bout of self asphyxiation, but he's not been cooked enough.

Edit: Oops, bonus K

Ah, yes. Although I think my favourite is the green ring-necked wild uncommon very rare lesser spotted woodpecker, which is a lesser spotted woodpecker that has accumulated some wealth during his lifetime and spends it mainly on booze, women, coke and gambling. He enjoys a regular bout of self asphyxiation and is very environmentally friendly, but has not been cooked enough.

Ah, yes. Although I think my favourite is the green ring-necked wild uncommon very rare lesser spotted woodpecker, which is a lesser spotted woodpecker that has accumulated some wealth during his lifetime and spends it mainly on booze, women, coke and gambling. He enjoys a regular bout of self asphyxiation and is very environmentally friendly, but has not been cooked enough.

Or maybe he's just taken the Michael Hutchence route to self asphyxiation?

Â