Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Apparently now in certain Birmingham boroughs, if you rent property you have to apply for a selective licence, I guess to stop people renting shit holes. I have 2 properties rented, both apartments that I already pay significant service charges to the managing agent. Ive just found out 1 property definately needs the £700 license, what a con from the council.

How we supposed to pay, do they all think we are millionaire property magnets, cause my properties rent just about covers the mortgages, service charges I have to pay personally. 

What they want you to do is invest your money elsewhere and let someone buy a house to live in. 

Not sure why people bother anyway. From what I gather the stock market long term outperforms the property market (as long as you're long term enough to ride out crashes) and comes with none of the hassle of dealing with tenants and is far more liquid. 

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What they want you to do is invest your money elsewhere and let someone buy a house to live in. 

Not sure why people bother anyway. From what I gather the stock market long term outperforms the property market (as long as you're long term enough to ride out crashes) and comes with none of the hassle of dealing with tenants and is far more liquid. 

I see your point but all over the BBC news website recently is the chronic lack of rental stock as landlords sell their properties as the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore. I'd hate to be renting now. 

I looked into buying a rental property a few years back. Nah, not for me. Rather stay liquid in these times, even if inflation is eating away at me

Edited by Xela

10 minutes ago, choffer said:

Tradies. Robbing bar stewards. 
The job - to replace one corroded down pipe on a bathroom sink.
He was here for five and a half hours (including 90 minutes at selco getting parts even though it’s literally across the road). 

Total bill £740!!!
He even billed me for the 35 minutes he was sat in his van “writing up the invoice”. 

Did you not ask him to quote you first before giving him the job? 

He’s absolutely taken the piss there to the point of being a criminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Eurovision. When I was a lad it was seen as utterly naff full of Terry Wogan dad jokes. Now you can't move from it. BBC Breakfast was from Liverpool today ffs. It has had more coverage than the entire Commonwealth Games last year.

I don’t get it. I am also shocked VT OT seems to love it. The acts are mainly rubbish and the scoring is extremely political and rarely relates to the quality of the song. 

Put it in the bin, nobody will miss it.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t get it. I am also shocked VT OT seems to love it. The acts are mainly rubbish and the scoring is extremely political and rarely relates to the quality of the song. 

You shit on something I love I will send Ronnie Pickering round. 

• Haha 2

It doesn't piss me off because other than the thread on here I never see any mention of it and I haven't seen a minute of it since that year Lordi won, but yeah, I don't get it.

I can understand the BGT and Strictly fans watching this, but I'm vaguely uneasy about its popularity on VT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It doesn't piss me off because other than the thread on here I never see any mention of it and I haven't seen a minute of it since that year Lordi won, but yeah, I don't get it.

I can understand the BGT and Strictly fans watching this, but I'm vaguely uneasy about its popularity on VT.

Tbf it used to be a stealth totty thread … probably still is ? 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Eurovision. When I was a lad it was seen as utterly naff full of Terry Wogan dad jokes. Now you can't move from it. BBC Breakfast was from Liverpool today ffs. It has had more coverage than the entire Commonwealth Games last year.

Agreed. The best bit was Wogan obviously getting pissed as it wore on. 

3 hours ago, choffer said:

He was here for five and a half hours (including 90 minutes at selco getting parts even though it’s literally across the road). 

Total bill £740!!!
He even billed me for the 35 minutes he was sat in his van “writing up the invoice”. 

Outrageous. Funnily enough we had a plumber here last week replacing a kitchen tap, and fixing a couple of loo cisterns. My missus was concerned that I hadn't got a quote first, but he was golden. £83, the lot. I'd use him again. Your bloke, however, I'd be dragging through the mud on local social media. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, choffer said:

Total bill £740!!!

We're not all bad, but he's ripping the piss!

As @Genie mentions, didn't you get a quote first?

In future, try trust-a-trader, Mybuilder etc. And get quotes from multiple tradesmen first.

As @mjmooney states, I would warn others of him across the socials.

£140 an hour and five hours to change a downpipe! He's taking the absolute piss!  Did he arrive in a balaclava? Robbing b*$tard!

59 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We're not all bad, but he's ripping the piss!

As @Genie mentions, didn't you get a quote first?

In future, try trust-a-trader, Mybuilder etc. And get quotes from multiple tradesmen first.

As @mjmooney states, I would warn others of him across the socials.

£140 an hour and five hours to change a downpipe! He's taking the absolute piss!  Did he arrive in a balaclava? Robbing b*$tard!

To be fair, I knew the deal. You pay by the hour and he’d originally said it’d take him a couple of hours. For a whole bunch of reasons it wasn’t the easiest job in the world but by the time he got to three hours I knew I’d been bent over and I needed to lube up. 
There is a London premium to factor in too and I’ve never found a plumber down here that does anything other than charge by the hour. The daft thing is, if he’d not ripped  me off he’d have got repeat custom but I guess there’s so much work down here they don’t need to worry about actually doing a decent job for a fair price. 

9 hours ago, choffer said:

To be fair, I knew the deal. You pay by the hour and he’d originally said it’d take him a couple of hours. For a whole bunch of reasons it wasn’t the easiest job in the world but by the time he got to three hours I knew I’d been bent over and I needed to lube up. 
There is a London premium to factor in too and I’ve never found a plumber down here that does anything other than charge by the hour. The daft thing is, if he’d not ripped  me off he’d have got repeat custom but I guess there’s so much work down here they don’t need to worry about actually doing a decent job for a fair price. 

Sounds like I'm working in the wrong part of the country.

17 hours ago, Genie said:

Come on, man. I've got young kids. It's the closest thing to a party I get all year. Get hammered, watch the girls. Laugh at the crap ones, and these days there's at least two genuinely good songs. It's awesome.

• Like 1

I don't mind the early stages of BGT or X factor when the nutters are on but once it gets serious it can get right in the bin.

Â