Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

The boy was 18 a few months back so he got his first chance to vote today … walked up-to the polling station with him and Mrs H

looked at the list of candidates and one of them is one of my best mates , standing for the Green Party ( he kept it quiet as the greens aren’t really campaigning just sorta testing the water !! )

anyway , pisses me off as I’ve just voted for the Poxy Green Party 

It's a local election. Vote for people that you know / like. Party politics shouldn't matter at the local level, it's a tool used so that a tory government can under fund areas that don't vote the way it wants.

3 hours ago, limpid said:

It's a local election. Vote for people that you know / like. Party politics shouldn't matter at the local level, it's a tool used so that a tory government can under fund areas that don't vote the way it wants.

the independent guy romped it as he's against the development plans proposed for the area , that the Tory council are proposing , so very much a local issue  

My mate got 8% of the vote same as the Lib Dem  ,  from the Whatsapp group it was mainly all our lot and our families that voted for him :) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Two things from tonight’s gig in a very small venue.

firstly - having someone at least 6’5 rock up mid gig and stand in front of me (to be fair it didn’t last long as I told him to politely move)

secondly, several people stood around me during the gig scrolling through Facebook and LiveScore - I mean, ffs watch the bloody gig! 

Gig was epic though so all is forgiven

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

What a thoroughly depressing day from the moment I woke up, just shit. 

You should  have watched the coronation, all that pomp and ceremony was thoroughly uplifting and would have cheered you up no end 

• Haha 3

Chewing Gum.  I **** hate it.  Possibly also one for things you don't get.  There is no reason for it to exist and even less reason for it to be all over the bottom of my shoe. 

Chewing Gum can get in the bin, both metaphorically and physically. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Chewing Gum.  I **** hate it.  Possibly also one for things you don't get.  There is no reason for it to exist and even less reason for it to be all over the bottom of my shoe. 

Very harmful to dogs as well, a common ingredient in chewing gum is xylitol. That causes a toxic reaction in dogs. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

eat-eat-it.gif

• Haha 1

I must admit I do chew a lot of gum. Mainly as i'm always paranoid that my breath might stink after a coffee and/or my lunch! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

I must admit I do chew a lot of gum. Mainly as i'm always paranoid that my breath might stink after a coffee and/or my lunch! 

Making yourselves look like a brain dead cud chewer is a novel and brave approach instead of a tic tac but each to their own. 

chewing-gum.gif

When single and on first dates I'd often use those breath freshener strips that melt in the mouth. Small packet, easy to slip on my mouth (kw) and instant freshness.....worked a treat until one woman asked me if I could "smell the dentist".....turned out she had a morbid fear of them despite her choppers being in great condition. 

I never realised they were so strong they someone 6ft away from me could smell it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

When single and on first dates I'd often use those breath freshener strips that melt in the mouth. Small packet, easy to slip on my mouth (kw) and instant freshness.....worked a treat until one woman asked me if I could "smell the dentist".....turned out she had a morbid fear of them despite her choppers being in great condition. 

I never realised they were so strong they someone 6ft away from me could smell it.

Better that than her smelling your joggers😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently now in certain Birmingham boroughs, if you rent property you have to apply for a selective licence, I guess to stop people renting shit holes. I have 2 properties rented, both apartments that I already pay significant service charges to the managing agent. Ive just found out 1 property definately needs the £700 license, what a con from the council.

How we supposed to pay, do they all think we are millionaire property magnets, cause my properties rent just about covers the mortgages, service charges I have to pay personally. 

Edited by foreveryoung

We've had a similar scheme in Nottingham for years. All sorts of info on when you need to pay, and how you need to pay. Almost no information on "what are you actually doing with all this money you're shaking out of people"?

Several years on, I'm not aware of any evidence that they do anything but take the money and lump it in with their general coffers, with most landlords presumably taking no actions other than bumping rent up a bit to cover the cost.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We've had a similar scheme in Nottingham for years. All sorts of info on when you need to pay, and how you need to pay. Almost no information on "what are you actually doing with all this money you're shaking out of people"?

Several years on, I'm not aware of any evidence that they do anything but take the money and lump it in with their general coffers, with most landlords presumably taking no actions other than bumping rent up a bit to cover the cost.

Yeah they said its going to raise 28 million.

"Selective liecences will improve the rental market and assure tenants of good property order".

I don't know how, cause It don't say they do inspections or visits. They just want £700 upfront before 21st June.

I can understand if it's in a 3 bed house turned into a 8 bed hmo, or a ex council flat, but my properties are purpose built apartments so are already looked after by 1, the rental agent and 2, the service agent, so to me its just a big con.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Yeah they said its going to raise 28 million.

"Selective liecences will improve the rental market and assure tenants of good property order".

I don't know how, cause It don't say they do inspections or visits. They just want £700 upfront before 21st June.

I can understand if it's in a 3 bed house turned into a 8 bed hmo, or a ex council flat, but my properties are purpose built apartments so are already looked after by 1, the rental agent and 2, the service agent, so to me its just a big con.

If they actually did something, and had concrete objectives and outcomes, I'd mind it less. Ultimately the cost isn't horrific, the £700 covers 5 years, though having to stump it all up in one go is a bit shit depending on how much notice you got.

In Nottingham though, if they're doing anything, it's very selective. Nobody I know who rents has had any kind of inspection, and my dad rents a couple of properties out and they've never inspected his either. Very much seems they take the money and piss off.

In principle, regular council inspections of private rentals isn't something I'm against, though I'd rather it was funded by fines for slumlords with substandard accommodation. Housing stock is absolutely shite in this country, and people shouldn't be living in mouldy houses in a state of disrepair because it's the only place they can afford to rent. Not convinced this is a way to fix that though.

• Like 1

I doubt they'll get even 25% of landlords in Birmingham pay it. Most of the the boroughs they have chosen are some of the most run down areas in Brum. An if the landlords can't be arsed to repair the properties, they ain't gonna stump up £700 for a licence. An even if they do, that's either the rent going up, or the properties repair budget gone up the swannie. Not the best idea to raise cash the council have ever come up with.

Â