Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Sat at the computer this morning, logged in, had a virtual meeting, went to crack on with work, hear noises coming from through the wall from next door that sound like a thousand wire coat hangers being dragged along a rail. This then repeats every few minutes for the next hour. It then morphs into hammer drilling into the wall. Great! That then gets augmented with the occasional hammering and knocking of someone clearly putting a rawlplug in the holes they've drilled.

After 2 hours of this I go for lunch and move to the living room. 10 minutes into lunch, the drilling comes back. In the living room wall. This continues for the rest of my lunch.

Before coming back to my desk, I go to the loo. The second my belt is undone, drilling starts again, but this time in the bathroom wall. **** off.

If the drilling starts again any time soon in any room I happen to be in, I'm going round.

• Haha 1

Went to Lidl today, picked up something sweet, some tomatoes and a couple of beers.

Went to self-service, scanned everything but only 1 of the 2 beers were scanned correctly. Moved the beer to scan it again and it told me off that I removed something from the bagging area. Tried again, and same issue.

Pressed the help button. They just remotely cleared the help. Did the same again. Same clearance.

Moral dilemma. I want to pay for the beer but they aren't letting me. Got to get back for a conf call at work. Called wife, asked what she thought, she said leave. Left.

Feel dirty.

• Like 1

When your mobile phone says you have reception, but you haven't.

And then, because you're offline you go to open your browser to continue reading, and it tries to refresh the page, losing everything.

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Rugby supporters and their constant boring litany about how footballers then are cheats and sissies, diving at the least touch and arguing with referees, and how the big tough rugby players never do it. 

Well, yes - it's probably true. Does that make me want to stop watching football and start watching rugby? No. Because it's shite. 

How dare you. There is nothing more noble than pulling hair, gouging eyes, squeezing testicals then getting massively pissed and singing sexist, racist and homophobic songs before going out and performing acts of boisterous high jinks which definitely DEFINITELY is not wanton vandalism and assault. 

It's the only way for real gentlemen to act. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Anthony said:

When your mobile phone says you have reception, but you haven't.

And then, because you're offline you go to open your browser to continue reading, and it tries to refresh the page, losing everything.

When I collect my daughter from school I wait in the car for her to walk down (she’s in year 6 and doesn’t want her Dad waiting at the gate anymore 😢). The street where I wait has this fake 3G/4G reception apart from 1 spot that actually connects to mobile web.

If I don’t get that 1 spot then it’s the longest wait in history. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Went to Lidl today, picked up something sweet, some tomatoes and a couple of beers.

Went to self-service, scanned everything but only 1 of the 2 beers were scanned correctly. Moved the beer to scan it again and it told me off that I removed something from the bagging area. Tried again, and same issue.

Pressed the help button. They just remotely cleared the help. Did the same again. Same clearance.

Moral dilemma. I want to pay for the beer but they aren't letting me. Got to get back for a conf call at work. Called wife, asked what she thought, she said leave. Left.

Feel dirty.

Says alot about you, phoned the wife, confirms it. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Risso said:

Or just don't go in. If he's not worried about being paid, what's the worst they can do?

You are right. My post was in the context that it feels better to leave a place on good terms and there is colleagues I like that I could have helped with stuff next week. Feels like you're leaving them behind because I have a way out and they don't yet.

Anyway, feel like Monday will be my last day. Skipped meetings this afternoon.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Rugby supporters and their constant boring litany about how footballers are cheats and sissies, diving at the least touch and arguing with referees, and how the big tough rugby players never do it. 

Well, yes - it's probably true. Does that make me want to stop watching football and start watching rugby? No. Because it's shite. 

Always said by some fella who “played rugby at school” but looks like Jeremy Clarkson. Talks a lot about cars, wants his son to be a bully

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’d have popped them in the bag and felt zero guilt.

If their scanner is shit, and their help is non-existent then I’d happily enjoy a beer on them. 

I went to the Supermarket to get some food etc. on Tuesday dinner time. At the checkout the lady said "the card reader's been playing up, you might need to insert your card instead of contactless. Tried contactless, it said on my phone it was authorised, but the till said it was not accepted. So we tried again, this time with a (different) card and into the reader. The reader said "verified" the till spooled out a receipt, the till operator lady said "I think that's worked" and gave me both the receipt for the "transaction failed" and the one for the one that "worked" just in case. When I got home I looked at the one that "worked" and it said "not verified", and there's been no deduction from my bank account(yet). I think I got 50 quid's worth of shopping for now't. I'm leaning towards doing nothing. I guess the Supermarket might get in touch, as the loyalty card will show them my transaction didn't go through.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I went to the Supermarket to get some food etc. on Tuesday dinner time. At the checkout the lady said "the card reader's been playing up, you might need to insert your card instead of contactless. Tried contactless, it said on my phone it was authorised, but the till said it was not accepted. So we tried again, this time with a (different) card and into the reader. The reader said "verified" the till spooled out a receipt, the till operator lady said "I think that's worked" and gave me both the receipt for the "transaction failed" and the one for the one that "worked" just in case. When I got home I looked at the one that "worked" and it said "not verified", and there's been no deduction from my bank account(yet). I think I got 50 quid's worth of shopping for now't. I'm leaning towards doing nothing. I guess the Supermarket might get in touch, as the loyalty card will show them my transaction didn't go through.

Nice little freebie that, I’d just wait and see myself.

A hack my neighbour said he was doing early on in the first lockdown. He twigged that if he ordered something on his home delivery shopping but then tried to hand it back as he didn’t want it anymore they’d say “we can’t have it back but don’t worry we’ll deduct it from the bill, just keep it and dispose of it”.

He “changed his mind” on several orders of beer and wine before they updated their policy to start accepting things back again.

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Lidl is great over here, probably my favourite supermarket

It's great over here to, except there are none near me. Miles better than Aldi which is shit.

There is a rumour that a former gym in the village has been bought by Lidl but as yet no signs of demolition let alone construction.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Always said by some fella who “played rugby at school” but looks like Jeremy Clarkson. Talks a lot about cars, wants his son to be a bully

For me it's a more general 'you always punch up, never punch down' thing. In this instance rugby fans, as fans of the smaller, less popular sport can get a win by pointing out how their sport is 'better' than football.  Football fans, on the other hand, don't feel the need to punch down because they know they follow the better and more popular sport. They're less insecure and don't feel the need to pick on another sport to make themselves feel better. We just nod and smile politely.

• Like 2

Â