Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

7 hours ago, Eidolon said:

Every job these days has an insanely long hiring process, I'm currently waiting to hear back about one where I have had an interview with the job agency I found it through to go through to the actual process, then a phone interview,  then an online assessment, then an in person assessment centre (god knows how they were different) and finally an in person interview...I understand being thorough but I'm stalling another lower paying job I could accept while I wait and I'm considering just going with the bird in the hand.

Then once you do get an offer there is an HR gremlin, who wasn't involved in interviewing you, constantly threatening to withdraw your offer for the smallest inconveniences. As if it would make any sense for them to go through the hiring processes again.

A friend of mine has had one of these types of applications going on for 10 months now and is finally at the contract signing stage. Just to be told her offer may be retracted because they can't contact one of the references, who they were told was on leave for a week.

28 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Then once you do get an offer there is an HR gremlin, who wasn't involved in interviewing you, constantly threatening to withdraw your offer for the smallest inconveniences. As if it would make any sense for them to go through the hiring processes again.

A friend of mine has had one of these types of applications going on for 10 months now and is finally at the contract signing stage. Just to be told her offer may be retracted because they can't contact one of the references, who they were told was on leave for a week.

I work in recruitment and this is the tip of the iceberg, there is so much mental behaviour which goes on. We recently had a client who put a candidate through 17 (yes 17) interviews including a presentation to a panel, and a 3hr dinner meeting. After all that they decided to put the role on hold! 😂

Edited by villaglint
  • Shocked 3

I may have mentioned this before, next to our office is a "social club", I'm being kind, it's an undercover Orange Lodge (no mention of it on the outside but they have a band that march the streets starting and ending there). During COVID they've built a beer garden

Today is a nice day.

They've set up a couple of kids inflatable on the car park

Someone is DJing very loudly from the Beer Garden. Its really gone way past 11, its more like 13. Good job we have double glazing (two lots between me and them)

This is bad enough but hey ho, each to their own...

I just went to the shop over the road.

Qu**n's Greatest Hits was on as the DJ took a break

Just F*** OFF!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The best feeling is having multiple options as a candidate, or just interviewing tentatively but being happy in your current role. These companies really don't seem like they get told "no, I'm not doing that" very often, it's fun when the power dynamic shifts and they realise they're more keen to hire you than you are to work for them.

The place I work now, when they decided they wanted to hire me then wanted to negotiate the salary.

I took two other letter headed offers out of my pocket and explained it wasn’t really a negotiate the salary sort of day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think I've ever worked with a PM that I'm convinced in any way contributed to the successful running of the project. 

No they just butt in every meeting along the lines of 'So let me get this straight. X will do this and then X will do that. Can we have that done by end of play tomorrow'

Then you explain for the 5th time that that X will not do this and X will not do that as it's impossible but you don't grasp what both parties are getting at because you don't work in either pissing dept.

Can you kindly sod off.

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve recently had a manager suggest ‘forgiveness is easier to get than permission’.

We were discussing moving an electricity sub station.

Bet he lost his shoplifting trial as well.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think I've ever worked with a PM that I'm convinced in any way contributed to the successful running of the project. 

Im currently working with a decent one 

But he also has a penchant for bullshitting so aggressively that he more often than not gets his way 

I'm 37, there's a commercial manager who must be near 60 and then a PM who's mid 40s with an engineering background and this is his first PM role who will quite happily ignore our advice to do what he likes, there's literally contractual documents that I have 15 years of experience working with that he has never worked with before... Yet he will happily do them wrong and go to war with me, the other guy, the client, absolutely anyone who disagrees with him

Its weirdly impressive 

And still better than the old head German guy they got in to assist him, his one liner was "I've worked in construction for 40 years around the world and never heard of that before therefore it must be wrong" as chrisp will no doubt know I sat him down and tried to explain the role of temporary works co-ordination in the UK, that conversation ended with me not only being wrong but also not being qualified to tell him what to do because I only work in cost control 😂 I could tell him that on a Friday morning in the UK everyone on site goes for a bacon sandwich and I'd get the comment back about his 40 years of experience, absolute **** idiot, probably the least I've ever respected someone that I work with, recently got sacked after claims of racism and sexism were made against him

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The best feeling is having multiple options as a candidate, or just interviewing tentatively but being happy in your current role. These companies really don't seem like they get told "no, I'm not doing that" very often, it's fun when the power dynamic shifts and they realise they're more keen to hire you than you are to work for them.

It's about time the power shifted back to the employee as opposed to the employer. Been a long time since that happened.... pre recession I guess?

Good time to be a haulage driver now. Firms are offering them huge pay rises to keep them as they can literally walk out and get a job straight away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve recently had a manager suggest ‘forgiveness is easier to get than permission’.

That defence never worked for Peter Sutcliffe. 

• Haha 1

On 24/08/2021 at 20:41, tonyh29 said:

Only connect opt for the aren’t we wacky approach 

thankfully I record it so can skip straight to the questions 

She is painful to watch when she tries that wacky stuff.  Just awful TV. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'd be a nightmare, no amusing anecdote for them to get me to repeat for the cameras.  It'd have to be something like "Well Ben, once I thought I'd posted something on Villatalk but it didn't seem to post properly.  I hit submit like 3 times and ended up posting the same thing 3 times"

I used to go on loads of courses at work... usually the the co-ordinator would start by going around the room, asking people to introduce themselves including an interesting fact about yourself. 

Me:

VaLqVnT.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I'd be a nightmare, no amusing anecdote for them to get me to repeat for the cameras.  It'd have to be something like "Well Ben, once I thought I'd posted something on Villatalk but it didn't seem to post properly.  I hit submit like 3 times and ended up posting the same thing 3 times" 

tenor.gif

We’ll there’s a hide post feature now for when the software **** up, so you don’t even have that anecdote anymore.

• Sad 1

Â