Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Now it tends to be a 15/20 unavoidable ad, followed by a 5 seconds skippable ad, then the video, then another 5 second ad and then another one towards the end of the video (a 10 min video).

I watch more YouTube than I do TV. A lot more. And it's not quite as bad as you paint in my experience.  Maybe it depends on the channels we watch and the levels of monetising that have been done to them, but for me the 15/20 second unavoidable ad i.e. can't even be skipped, is still comparitively rare compared to the other variations over the course of an evening. For me, it's mostly a single 6-second ad, or a 19/20/120s that's skippable after 6, more rarely you might get a consecutive pair of 6 second ads that aren't skippable and most rare is the 19/20 that's unskippable, but you can re-load the page or go back/forward and rarely get the unskippable one 2nd time around. The absolute rarest and most infuriating of all is the unskippable 19/20 ad IN THE MIDDLE of a video. That cheeky bar steward really boils my piss.

It's human nature to notice the annoying ones more than the others so they're the ones that stay with you to recall later in internet forums :P

11 hours ago, bickster said:

Have electric scooters arrived yet?

You ain’t seen nothin’ yet 

Currently, you cannot legally use a privately-owned electric scooter on a public highway in the UK. You can do so on private land which is not accessible to the public and with permission from the landowner. This however does not limit your right to buy, sell, or keep an e-scooter.

With this law, you cannot ride an e-scooter on public roads, pavements, or cycle lanes. Breaching this rule can attract a penalty of £300 or six penalty strikes on your driver’s licence. Likewise, your scooter can be impounded as well.

Link

Escooters are allowed on roads if they're rental scooters used as part of government trials (which is mentioned in the article you linked!), which are being undertaken in several cities, @mjmooney. They're a menace and a nuisance.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Thanks 1

After complaints in Liverpool, they changed the way they work, now you have to return the scooter to a designated scooter parking area or you get a parking fine. I think if you reach a certain thresholds of fines (they increase each time) you are then banned from using them.

Usage appears to have fallen off a cliff (there may also be a correlation with students going home for the summer)

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

After complaints in Liverpool, they changed the way they work, now you have to return the scooter to a designated scooter parking area or you get a parking fine. I think if you reach a certain thresholds of fines (they increase each time) you are then banned from using them.

Usage appears to have fallen off a cliff (there may also be a correlation with students going home for the summer)

This sounds sensible. Oslo was in a state of escooter anarchy. It was both very unsafe and esthetically disastrous. People would typically drive them home after a night out drinking, and generally just leave them wherever. Restrictions are coming/have been placed, but it’s still a bit of a pest. 

Edited by El Zen

It's the speed limits on them that annoys me and makes them incredibly dangerous on the roads. Generally they're limited to 15mph, which is slow, but not absolutely horrendous. Within the city limits in Nottingham, however, they're limited to 4mph. And have to be riden on roads. So you have people on electric vehicles on the road, in rush hour, moving more slowly than I walk. It's stupid and far more dangerous than them going at their normal speed. Not surprisingly, most people seem to just take their chances and stay on the pavements instead, which is illegal, but far more practical and safe.

Edited by Davkaus

33 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Escooters are allowed on roads if they're rental scooters used as part of government trials (which is mentioned in the article you linked!), which are being undertaken in several cities, @mjmooney. They're a menace and a nuisance.

I know. But I'm 100% sure there are loads of private ones in use, not part of trials. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's the speed limits on them that annoys me and makes them incredibly dangerous on the roads. Generally they're limited to 15mph, which is slow, but not absolutely horrendous. Within the city limits in Nottingham, however, they're limited to 4mph. And have to be riden on roads. So you have people on electric vehicles on the road, in rush hour, moving more slowly than I walk. It's stupid and far more dangerous than them going at their normal speed. Not surprisingly, most people seem to just take their chances and stay on the pavements instead, which is illegal, but far more practical and safe.

There's no way the ones in Liverpool are limited to 4mph and they can be ridden on the pavements here

39 minutes ago, El Zen said:

This sounds sensible. Oslo was in a state of escooter anarchy. It was both very unsafe and esthetically disastrous. People would typically drive them home after a night out drinking, and generally just leave them wherever. Restrictions are coming/have been placed, but it’s still a bit of a pest. 

Merseyside Police has actually prosecuted people for drink driving on them (You have to have at least a provisional driving licence to hire them)

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

There's no way the ones in Liverpool are limited to 4mph and they can be ridden on the pavements here

In terms of the speed limits, there are different rules in each council area, which only serves to confuse things more. They're illegal on pavements nationwide though, AFAIK, but it's hardly enforced.

I just don't think the UK roads are suited for e-scooters.

I used them when I was in California a couple of years ago and they were amazing. But it's because the roads in Santa Monica are huge, with dedicated bike lanes on all of them. They're like dual carriageways really with one lane for cars and the others for bikes/scooters

You can see them here

bikes.jpg

When the roads are like this they work perfectly.

But with UK roads I can't ever see it working

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Merseyside Police has actually prosecuted people for drink driving on them (You have to have at least a provisional driving licence to hire them)

Again, sensible.

No licence required in Oslo, and police haven’t had the manpower (understandably) to enforce no drink driving. There are 25 000 individual commercial escooters in Oslo, operated by probaby at least half a dozen different agents. Just completely out of control. 

23 minutes ago, bickster said:
1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'd say it's hard enough to stay upright and balanced on a scooter that's only going 4mph. A quick google tells me they're only limited to 4mph in pedestrianised areas, so areas with no (functioning) roads.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

A quick google tells me they're only limited to 4mph in pedestrianised areas, so areas with no (functioning) roads.

Mostly, but not exclusively, again, different rules in each council area, it includes at least a couple of main commuter routes through Nottingham and it's equal parts scary and hilarious watching someone wobble down the road at 4mph.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Mostly, but not exclusively, again, different rules in each council area, it includes at least a couple of main commuter routes through Nottingham and it's equal parts scary and hilarious watching someone wobble down the road at 4mph.

Well any counsillor who is party to making people use any vehicle at 4mph on a public road is literally an idiot who should be fired.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Well any counsillor who is party to making people use any vehicle at 4mph on a public road is literally an idiot who should be fired.

Councillors (in the UK) can't be fired, only voted out.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

Councillors (in the UK) can't be fired, only voted out.

Oh well, that won't be happening then *looks at your PM*.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Â