Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

14 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I don’t speak for all but as a person from outside of Birmingham, Solihull, Sutton Coldfield, Coleshill etc. All Birmingham to me. 

I can see your point with the first two, but Coleshill is Warwickshire, so sort of separate. Like T'muff.

On 04/04/2021 at 22:18, mjmooney said:

You get the same thing up here. The posher postcodes won't admit they're part of Leeds. 

I can kind of understand their point. Some of the areas like Otley are miles away when you consider how large the city centre is (you can walk across it in an hour). Otley is technically closer to Bradford (although I think they'd prefer Leeds). It's also not part of a sprawling metropolis as about half of the 12 miles will be through countryside. I always felt that you had to be inside or bordering (like Adel) the outer ring road to be Leeds. Technically they are all Leeds though but it's a bit like Manchester and Greater Manchester in my head. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

I can see your point with the first two, but Coleshill is Warwickshire, so sort of separate. Like T'muff.

Thats the point possibly. These wider places, Birmingham. I see Coleshill as the boundary to be honest as years back that was the place I passed on my commute before civilisation. 

I remember arguing with my ex (who’s Irish born, grew up mainly in Bristol from 7 or 8) about Dudley not being part of Birmingham. 

We had another, later row (which actually turned out to be the straw that broke the camel’s back in terms of our relationship) about whether Baggeridge Country Park was in Wolverhampton or not.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

39 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I can kind of understand their point. Some of the areas like Otley are miles away when you consider how large the city centre is (you can walk across it in an hour). Otley is technically closer to Bradford (although I think they'd prefer Leeds).

I live in Rawdon (LS19). I've heard locals claim that they live in 'a village in Airedale'. It actually borders on Bradford. When the council put up a sign saying 'Welcome to Leeds', it was torn down and replaced with one that said 'Welcome to Rawdon'. Meanwhile, a few yards across that Bradford border there are some posh little roads where the residents have painted over 'BD10' on the road signs, and inserted (an entirely incorrect) 'LS19'.  :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I remember arguing with my ex (who’s Irish born, grew up mainly in Bristol from 7 or 8) about Dudley not being part of Birmingham. 

We had another, later row (which actually turned out to be the straw that broke the camel’s back in terms of our relationship) about whether Baggeridge Country Park was in Wolverhampton or not.

My wife and I only have big arguments over trivial things like childrearing philosophies/strategies, but you guys really went deep with the geography thing.😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I always feel like that boundary needs redrawing on account of St Albans and Harpenden.

Being the ill educated oik from darn sarf he appears to have forgotten a little 3 letter word... Gap. It's Watford Gap not Watford

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Being the ill educated oik from darn sarf he appears to have forgotten a little 3 letter word... Gap. It's Watford Gap not Watford

I know what I said :D

8 hours ago, bickster said:

After hearing 'North of Watford Gap' for years I always presumed it was near Watford (just outside London). If I ever went to London it was either on the train or m40 way. I was surprised at where it was when driving past it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There was a girl on my university course who refused to admit she was from Liverpool. She was from Bootle. 

Going back to this and you only had to see the arguments over Everton's new ground over the last  few years and the fans insistence that the ground had to remain in Liverpool. Fans were genuinely upset when it was originally moving to Kirkby, about a mile and a half from the Liverpool border (but to outsiders it's Liverpool), It's currently half a mile from the border and the new site is again half a mile from the border (both inside). The insane thing is, I reckon there's more Everton fans that live in Kirkby and Bootle than live in Liverpool

I think it's very silly, I also think having three councils covering what I consider to be Liverpool is also very silly. The three councils would have been merged years ago if it wasn't for Liverpool Councils debt (from the Hatton era bailout.) The other council areas make no sense whatsoever. Knowsley and Sefton were designed by mentalists to specifically not be Liverpool and no other logical reason.

Parts of Knowsley should be incorporated into Liverpool and other parts into St Helens. South Sefton should be incorporated into Liverpool and North Sefton should be incorporated in West Lancs

• Like 1

I guess a lot of people go off the postal town. Solihull and Oldbury and Halesowen (and I think Bootle too?) are all postal towns and Birmingham is nowhere near the official address. Thing is Brum has expanded so much it's swallowed areas of historic Warwickshire and Worcestershire and Staffordshire so places like that see themselves as separate. With that being said I'm not offended if someone pinpoints me as a Brummie in the same way someone from the Black Country would be. I've always seen myself as "native" to Birmingham as a city 

2 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

With that being said I'm not offended if someone pinpoints me as a Brummie in the same way someone from the Black Country would be

I once had a guy join my team at work (in Bradford) with a noticeable west midlands accent. He introduced himself as being from Birmingham. When I enquired further he admitted to actually being from Wolverhampton. I expressed surprise, but he explained that he'd become resigned to outsiders assuming that west midlands = Birmingham, and had just gone with the flow. 

The Birmingham suburbs thing is kinda fascinating if you come from my bit, the suburb that no-one wanted, Great Barr. Depending on which bit of it you live in, you could be in Birmingham, Sandwell or Walsall. Different parts of it are controlled by different councils

1 minute ago, bickster said:

The Birmingham suburbs thing is kinda fascinating if you come from my bit, the suburb that no-one wanted, Great Barr. Depending on which bit of it you live in, you could be in Birmingham, Sandwell or Walsall. Different parts of it are controlled by different councils

And then much of south Brum seems to be terra incognita once you get beyond Moseley and Kings Heath. I used to get tired of telling people I lived in Yardley Wood, only for them to say "You mean Yardley?" Saying Warstock or Highters Heath didn't do any better, either. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And then much of south Brum seems to be terra incognita once you get beyond Moseley and Kings Heath. I used to get tired of telling people I lived in Yardley Wood, only for them to say "You mean Yardley?" Saying Warstock or Highters Heath didn't do any better, either. 

Councils don't help, they keep redefining the boundaries around here. There's lots of it

A lot of people in older generations outside of Liverpool have heard of Allerton because of the Liverbirds but that boundary has moved considerably and in a really stupid manner. There is a railway station named West Allerton, it's considered to be in Mossley Hill

There's another area people will have heard of called the Old Swan (Big Ron from the Swan!), it is named after a pub which was in the centre of this small area, it's now 5 meters from the boundary with an area the council like to call Stoneycroft, that no-one I have ever encountered will say they are from and this has nothing to do with snobbery and all those things, its because no one recognizes it's legitimacy. And according to the Council Old swan in the other direction has crept right across the main arterial road into Liverpool from the motorway and nicked a bit of Wavertree

But that leads me onto f***ing Tescos. They have a big superstore they call the Allerton Road store, which isn't on Allerton Road, it's on Mather Avenue (A particularly well known road in it's own right), they have another one that they call their Woolton Store its on a road named Allerton Road (a completely different Allerton Road to the one the other store refers to). It causes no end of confusion in our game, so much so I even contacted Tesco about it.

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Great Barr is an intangible thing. It exists, but nobody really can tell where it starts and where it ends, or where it really belongs. 

By way of example....

Great Barr Hall is an 18th-century mansion situated at Pheasey, Walsall, on the border with Great Barr, Birmingham, West Midlands, England.

Wiki for Great Barr Hall

See if you can work that shit out, Pheasey, a subdivision of Great Barr given that the f***ing mansion that gives the area its name is actually classed as being in it! and if you walk across the field from GBH and past the M6, onto the Whitecrest Estate that is Great Barr, Sandwell anyway!

Â