Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Also known as salespeople

Used carwow for my last one and was really happy with how that all worked 

Basically from what I good gather you put in the car and spec that you want and they pass it on the dealers who then vie for your business, so all the awkwardness of trying to squeeze out discount from them is done by them not you 

Edited by villa4europe

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Used carwow for my last one and was really happy with how that all worked 

Basically from what I good gather you put in the car and spec that you want and they pass it on the dealers who then vie for your business, so all the awkwardness of trying to squeeze out discount from them is done by them not you 

I. Used that when I bought my VW Polo 2 years ago. 

Then just as I was about to sign the deal I saw an advert from Vertu Motors advertising the exact same car for cheaper.  Showed the guy the offer on my phone and he just matched it. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The rest he had views on: French cars - unreliable. Italian cars - rusty. German cars - for posh people. Japanese cars - boring. 

Yeah, and the stereotypes are different in different countries. I remember in the late 80s, Japanese cars had a reputation here for being tinny and shoddy. When we visited family in the US, my American brother-in-law told me that over there, Japanese cars were perceived as the best built and most reliable on the market. 

Best car I have ever had was a brand new Peugeot 108 from 2015. Absolutely nothing went wrong with it at all but quite a few people were warning me about French cars and new cars. It’s all a lottery. 

19 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Best car I have ever had was a brand new Peugeot 108 from 2015. Absolutely nothing went wrong with it at all but quite a few people were warning me about French cars and new cars. It’s all a lottery. 

Ah, the good old Czech factory pumping out 108s, Aygos and C1s (all practically the same car - they share the same chassis, engine, transmission etc).  The engine is Toyota sourced mind :).

Edited by trekka

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

The irony with cars is that there is a very strong perception that the expensive German brands are quality and reliable, yet they always perform badly in the JD Power Survey. Another case of clever branding overruling reality. 

There’s more to those surveys than meets the eye. You see the big German brands, JLR, Tesla etc are bringing new technology to the market. They also cost a lot of money and therefore have customers with high expectations and therefore raise more issues. For example an occasional squeak from the seat or that the infotainment system might lag at times or some of the driver aid features like lane keep assist are not how they’d like them to work. Other cars that don’t even offer these feature will do better.

This can cloud the ratings where you seen more traditionally low spec cars performing “better”. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I had a mark 3 Cavalier (G reg). Absolutely loved it. I was 20 when i had it, so having a 2 litre 'luxury' car was ace. It was a CD model, so quite highly specced, and in a nice aubergine colour. The velour seats were the comfiest I have ever sat in! Car seats nowadays are rock hard and uncomfortable.

Don't think I've ever heard someone describe a colour as aubergine before, let alone then say 'nice'. But it was your car and you liked it so that's all that matters. 

My Dad had Cavaliers when I was young and they were very nice cars. 

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s more to those surveys than meets the eye. You see the big German brands, JLR, Tesla etc are bringing new technology to the market. They also cost a lot of money and therefore have customers with high expectations and therefore raise more issues. For example an occasional squeak from the seat or that the infotainment system might lag at times or some of the driver aid features like lane keep assist are not how they’d like them to work. Other cars that don’t even offer these feature will do better.

This can cloud the ratings where you seen more traditionally low spec cars performing “better”. 

I had a Merc C Class Estate, I expected it to be perfect and it was indeed pretty close to perfect.

Rarely, on sunny days, there was sometimes a squeak from the dashboard, like a panel expanding and rubbing against something else. It went back in the garage to have that seen to and sorted out.

I’m driving a Skoda at the moment, using the indicators causes the radio to switch to radio 3 and there’s always a 50/50 chance I’ll get a warning light about washer fluid levels. I’ve never bothered doing anything about either of those issues. I wouldn’t have accepted them from Mercedes.

I suspect similar attitudes are reflected in the JD Power surveys. 

• Like 1

Whilst on the car topic, I went to look at Kia's today, really like the Xceed. My current contract ends in March next year. 

Really, really want an XC40 so going to take some deciding. 

1 hour ago, trekka said:

Ah, the good old Czech factory pumping out 108s, Aygos and C1s (all practically the same car - they share the same chassis, engine, transmission etc).  The engine is Toyota sourced mind :).

Ahhh, never knew lol. I knew they shared the chassis and whatnot but never realised they were all built at the same factory. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Being sent an email from Norton anti virus telling me that my PC is infected with a virus and that I should click the link to resolve it

the email was sent to me from yourmum@xxx.com

i mean come on at least make some effort 

It's not as stupid as you think, it's the way scammers find their mark. Too dumb to notice this? Right, you are my new target!

Seriously. some of them do it on purpose, they are only interested in the imbeciles

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Don't think I've ever heard someone describe a colour as aubergine before, let alone then say 'nice'. But it was your car and you liked it so that's all that matters. 

My Dad had Cavaliers when I was young and they were very nice cars. 

I *think* it was the official colour. 

I tried to find a picture of one online and this is what I found. Mine was an older one but pretty sure that is the same shade. 

cZdjzpe.jpg

40 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Ahhh, never knew lol. I knew they shared the chassis and whatnot but never realised they were all built at the same factory. 

I always remember going for my first test drive in the Aygo.  When I asked the Toyota man what was the difference between that and the Peugeot etc, his reply was "just remember that the engine is Toyota". 

(plus it had an extra 2 year warranty :D). 

Edited by trekka

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Despite all these surveys and differing expectations, Toyota and Lexus are pretty much guaranteed to be number 1! 

The question is - are they really so much more reliable? Or is it perception? 

I'd say the former simply because most taxis I see tend to be Toyota. 

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

I *think* it was the official colour. 

I tried to find a picture of one online and this is what I found. Mine was an older one but pretty sure that is the same shade. 

cZdjzpe.jpg

I had one like that. Same colour. It was as you & Mike say comfortable, and also reliable, fast and all the good things. it went like the absolute clappers - it was a 2 litre job and had been lowered a tad and maybe had some sort of engine tweak, I dunno. It was ace. I only got rid of it because I needed the garage space to do up an old Beetle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Despite all these surveys and differing expectations, Toyota and Lexus are pretty much guaranteed to be number 1! 

The question is - are they really so much more reliable? Or is it perception? 

I'd say the former simply because most taxis I see tend to be Toyota. 

The thing is, cars rarely break down anymore in the old fashioned sense. You don’t bust the engine or gear box like the old days, because there are sensors that suspect something might be wrong before it goes wrong. Previously you’d blow the head gasket and be stuck at the side of the motorway. Now a sensor sees the issue and tells you to get to the garage pronto. It still gets recorded as a fault though.

This is another thing with the expensive cars, lots of sensors. A lot of the faults are sensor faults. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

A lot of the faults are sensor faults. 

Actually, that reminds me - the cavalier had an ECU sensor that failed. Cost about 200 quid to get it changed. I'd agreed to see the car to a mate, so I wanted to make sure it was right for him. Now't wrong with the actual car, just the ruddy sensor.

• Like 1

Â