Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

As @chrisp65 says, the whole issue shows quite impressive levels of scammery from the builders/developers, to the freeholders/landlords, to the waking watch companies and managing agents. They're all getting rich off the back of the innocent leaseholder suffering. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

from the builders/developers, to the freeholders/landlords, to the waking watch companies and managing agents

Usually the money trail all leads to the same people, just different companies

• Like 1

I was leaving the house to go to the shops, when my mother-in-law pulled up at the end of my drive, blocking my car in.

After we said hello, I said “I was just popping out to the shops actually..” and gestured towards her car.

She said she would only be two minutes as she was just dropping off Easter eggs for my boy.

It’s now 20 minutes later and she’s in our garden playing with him. How much more key rattling can I do before asking her to move her car again?

Something I've picked up on quite a few times and I've just heard again on a programme about Easter Eggs. 

Literally every time TV land talks about Cadbury’s its described as "Bournville near Birmingham". Everytime. 

I don't understand why this is. Bournville is IN Birmingham, it's a suburb of Birmingham. Not only that there are at least 2 or 3 more suburbs of Birmingham you would need to travel clean through in order to get to anywhere that could be described as being "near" Birmingham. 

Why is this? 

It's never Wembley near London or Rusholme near Manchester. 

It's almost like they can't bear it that such a UK institution is from Birmingham. 

Drives me nuts. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Something I've picked up on quite a few times and I've just heard again on a programme about Easter Eggs. 

Literally every time TV land talks about Cadbury’s its described as "Bournville near Birmingham". Everytime. 

I don't understand why this is. Bournville is IN Birmingham, it's a suburb of Birmingham. Not only that there are at least 2 or 3 more suburbs of Birmingham you would need to travel clean through in order to get to anywhere that could be described as being "near" Birmingham. 

Why is this? 

It's never Wembley near London or Rusholme near Manchester. 

It's almost like they can't bear it that such a UK institution is from Birmingham. 

Drives me nuts. 

Isn't it just a bit of an anacronism? Bournville when it was built was part of Worcestershire and not Birmngham itself

They often describe Sutton Coldfield as being near Birmingham too and I guess most of the older folk prefer that as they really didn't like being merged in in 1973

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Isn't it just a bit of an anacronism? Bournville when it was built was part of Worcestershire and not Birmngham itself

They often describe Sutton Coldfield as being near Birmingham too and I guess most of the older folk prefer that as they really didn't like being merged in in 1973

You get the same thing up here. The posher postcodes won't admit they're part of Leeds. 

• Like 1

Sutton does 'feel' different to Birmingham though. I grew up in Erdington and your address was Erdington, Birmingham. With Sutton, no-one classes it as Birmingham, its just in there by default really due to some border changes in the 70s. It is generally classed as a separate town with its own town centre and distinct suburbs. Over 100k people in Sutton, which is pretty big really.

Builders in next door. Toxic masculinity and lad culture.

My brother works in a garage too and he never really grew out of it either.

4 lads with the same sense of humour we had at 18. Except they are 40. Ripping the piss out of each other endlessly and trying desperately to prove to each they aren't gay.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

4 lads with the same sense of humour we had at 18. Except they are 40. Ripping the piss out of each other endlessly and trying desperately to prove to each they aren't gay.

I laughed at your last sentence but that situation would annoy me too.

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Just from reading that I know they take sugar in their tea 

• Like 2

On 04/04/2021 at 22:18, Xela said:

Sutton does 'feel' different to Birmingham though. I grew up in Erdington and your address was Erdington, Birmingham. With Sutton, no-one classes it as Birmingham, its just in there by default really due to some border changes in the 70s. It is generally classed as a separate town with its own town centre and distinct suburbs. Over 100k people in Sutton, which is pretty big really.

I assume time will eventually overcome the reluctance, some may say snobbery, of accepting the border change. Northfield has a larger population than Sutton Coldfield but was incorporated in to Birmingham 55 years earlier, in 1919. Like Northfield, eventually they’ll be no living person who remembers Sutton Coldfield wasn’t originally a suburb of Birmingham.

Edited by brommy
Spelling and punctuation correction.

38 minutes ago, brommy said:

I assume time will eventually overcome the reluctance, some may say snobbery, of accepting the border change. Northfield has a larger population than Sutton Coldfield but was incorporated in to Birmingham 55 years earlier, in 1919. Like Northfield, eventually they’ll be no living person who remembers Sutton Coldfield wasn’t originally a suburb of Birmingham.

I'm from Solihull which I consider basically an annex of Birmingham but if I'm ever talking to a Brummie I'd always make the distinction of saying I'm from Sullyull rather than Brum.

I guess I've always felt like Greater Birmingham isn't seen as a thing in the same way as Greater Manchester or Greater London.

49 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

I'm from Solihull which I consider basically an annex of Birmingham but if I'm ever talking to a Brummie I'd always make the distinction of saying I'm from Sullyull rather than Brum.

I guess I've always felt like Greater Birmingham isn't seen as a thing in the same way as Greater Manchester or Greater London.

Solihull is a large district, the second biggest (after Birmingham) in the county of West Midlands and bigger even than Wolverhampton and Coventry combined. Solihull has more than twice the population of Sutton Coldfield and is around 9 times the size so I assume it’s better suited than Sutton Coldfield to be administered separately from Birmingham. Sorry VTers, this definitely belongs in the Boring thread!

3 hours ago, brommy said:

Solihull is a large district, the second biggest (after Birmingham) in the county of West Midlands and bigger even than Wolverhampton and Coventry combined. Solihull has more than twice the population of Sutton Coldfield and is around 9 times the size so I assume it’s better suited than Sutton Coldfield to be administered separately from Birmingham. Sorry VTers, this definitely belongs in the Boring thread!

Solihull in the boring thread? Nooooah!

• Haha 2

Â