Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yanks get Adidas completely wrong in retaliation

A-deed-ass

noun;

someone who's a dickhead about house deeds and wants me to pay for his new fence.

"Malcolm?  He's a-deed-ass - he can **** off if he thinks I'm paying for his shit fence"

Or, in Scotch;

"Malcum?  He's a-deed-ass if I canae get me haands on im'" 

similar; knob-face, cum flap, cock-whisperer, busy body, boomer 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Haha 1

Sarah Everard, the poor woman. And her friends and family. Please tell me that her killer, because of the nature of his crime and that because he's a cop, he will have a very hard time in prison.

Edit: just seen he's already been attacked in jail. He has to be a suicide risk.

Edited by maqroll

12 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

A-deed-ass

noun;

someone who's a dickhead about house deeds and wants me to pay for his new fence.

"Malcolm?  He's a-deed-ass - he can **** off if he thinks I'm paying for his shit fence"

Or, in Scotch;

"Malcum?  He's a-deed-ass if I canae get me haands on im'" 

similar; knob-face, cum flap, cock-whisperer, busy body, boomer 

Unimpressed Nick Offerman GIF - Unimpressed Unsure Notsure ...

12 hours ago, Genie said:

In the UK we still generally go with Nike, as spelt, whereas in America its Nikey.

I KNOW that it’s Nikey and always has been, but I can’t bring myself to say it infront of other incorrect English people. Same with Porsch-er.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a m ole said:

I KNOW that it’s Nikey and always has been, but I can’t bring myself to say it infront of other incorrect English people. Same with Porsch-er.

People who say Porsch-er need punching in the balls tbh

• Like 1

When I was a kid Nike was always pronounced Niyk. Now it's morphed into Niykee.  Where did that come from? Were we always saying it wrong before or is it an Americanisation or just people being dicks? 

Oops. Just seen this is already covered😳

Edited by sidcow

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

When I was a kid Nike was always pronounced Niyk. Now it's morphed into Niykee.  Where did that come from? Were we always saying it wrong before or is it an Americanisation or just people being dicks? 

Nike is the Greek Goddess of Victory and as much as it grates with me, the correct pronunciation of her name is Nikey

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

People who say Porsch-er need punching in the balls tbh

Where do you draw the line? Joe Mercer used to call Johann Cruyff "Joanne Cruff", which made me cringe. By and large, I feel we should try and pronounce non-English words (particularly people's names) correctly. Although there is an issue with how far you go with laying on an accent with a trowel. It does sound pretty daft if you speak with your normal accent, but in the middle of a sentence you come out with an overdone attempt at authenticity. So, from an English speaker

"Fredrick Gilbert" - bad 

"Fredereek Gilbair" - acceptable 

"Frrred-airr-eekh Geel-bairrrh-uh" - bad 

Works the other way, too. I have no problem with a French speaker saying "Tiron Mings" or "Zshack Grealeesh". 

FWIW I usually say Porsh-er, so I'm donning the cricket box. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

We're British, we conquered the world.  We pronounce things how we see fit.  It's their fault they didn't have a proper flag 200 years ago so it's up to us to decide how things are pronounced. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Where do you draw the line? Joe Mercer used to call Johann Cruyff "Joanne Cruff", which made me cringe. By and large, I feel we should try and pronounce non-English words (particularly people's names) correctly. Although there is an issue with how far you go with laying on an accent with a trowel. It does sound pretty daft if you speak with your normal accent, but in the middle of a sentence you come out with an overdone attempt at authenticity. So, from an English speaker

"Fredrick Gilbert" - bad 

"Fredereek Gilbair" - acceptable 

"Frrred-airr-eekh Geel-bairrrh" - bad 

Works the other way, too. I have no problem with a French speaker saying "Tiron Mings" or "Zshack Grealeesh". 

FWIW I usually say Porsh-er, so I'm donning the cricket box. 

I think my hatred of the Porsch-er pronouncers is the impression that I get that most of them are copying Jeremy Clarkson and not some deep seated desire to pronounce things correctly because they all say the -er bit really strangely, totally forced making it sound completely wrong

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oops. Just seen this is already covered😳

It wasn't really, no one asked why and what was the actual correct pronunciation, just US vs UK

This conversation provoked me into trying to find an old Nike advert where they actually say the company name at any point, to see if there was a UK ad campaign where they indeed said “Nike” instead “Nikey”. Not found one yet, I’m slightly surprised to see so many adverts where they don’t verbalise either the company name or the “just do it” slogan. They’ve just left it as a visual.

The Nor/Swe I is the English E. I pronounced like E-vil. E scandinavian is more like Eh for you lot I guess, or how you say E in Eric. And A more like Ah. As in Car. K is less kay and more  Keh. So

IKEA = E(vil) - Keh - Eh - Ah. Or E-Keh-Ah

As you might have guessed I'm not a language teacher 😂

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

Hmm, I wouldn't be so sure.

Mr Couzens, of Deal, in Kent, was taken to hospital for a second time in 48 hours on Friday for treatment to another head injury suffered in custody, before he was discharged and returned to a police station.

He was previously treated in hospital for a separate head wound on Thursday, also sustained in custody when he was alone in his cell.

From the BBC, sounds to me like the word removed is head butting the wall, I’d say suicide risk is unbelievably high.

Very odd situation, something does seem unusual with this story.

32 minutes ago, a m ole said:

From the BBC, sounds to me like the word removed is head butting the wall, I’d say suicide risk is unbelievably high.

Very odd situation, something does seem unusual with this story.

At the very least, the police vetting procedure must have been pretty slack when they employed him. 

Ordered a TV last week from Curry’s, to be delivered on Friday 8-5:30.

6pm came, no TV so I went onto their live chat to enquire... “TV is out of stock and we don’t know when it will be in stock so we’ll have to cancel the order”.

Now that’s annoying as they didn’t bother to tell me until after it was due for delivery and I chased it up.

The thing that pissed me off (but maybe shouldn’t) was that the cancellation email from them said they’d cancelled the order at MY request. Cheeky bastards.

• Like 1

Â