Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Just now, Xela said:

Thing is, they've all been internal calls and my work (and bonus) is based on doing business with customers. I've got loads of customer work to get through tomorrow. I may even have to work moderately hard on a Friday afternoon for once! 

My management are in the thick of performance reviews at the moment so I need to not rock the boat or go AWOL.

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Thursday is conf call day, basically, it’s a full day of it, 8 through to 5 including, laughably, the idea of a ‘working lunch’.

But the company that want the call are the sort of weirdos that have teams calls but don’t switch the video on.

The two sentences above, will be the explanation for my spike in posts to VT today.

My Internet connection at home isn't good enough to support the camera function 

:ph34r:

I've got through some football manager during phone calls, this afternoon I and 100+ other people had a 1 hour training session on the company's new personal development review procedure... Thats FM time 

As a side - PDRs... Blew some minds today, I've had them at 4 different companies now for 15 years, I always considered them pretty standard 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

I may even have to work moderately hard on a Friday afternoon for once! 

That's an outrageous breach of your human rights! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's an outrageous breach of your human rights! 

Its a bitter pill to swallow Mike. It is nothing more than modern slavery! I'll have to see how my morning goes. If i goes well then I may be able to 'space out' in the afternoon. 

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its a bitter pill to swallow Mike. It is nothing more than modern slavery! I'll have to see how my morning goes. If i goes well then I may be able to 'space out' in the afternoon. 

I'm just wondering what my workmates and I would have done, were we still working during this pandemic. I suspect a slight variant on the old method - block out Friday afternoon in the calendar, with spurious 'meetings', then set up a social zoom chat with beers. 

I'm still trying to actively avoid the zoom-type meetings.  I will contribute and I will be involved by voice, it's just that like others, I'm finding the constant need to "meet" people over a camera for hours on end really tiring.  My work calendar is blocked out now pretty much all day with meetings and as one of the senior staff told me, you need to look after yourself.  If you're uncomfortable with constantly looking at your face in the corner of the screen (at least that's how it works with the software we use) then put your foot down.  This isn't "Through the Keyhole" too and we need the ability to separate our home life and work life.  The thing that pisses me off currently is that we're being merged with another department and we've been asked to record a few sentences of "what are you most proud of" video  :bang:

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm just wondering what my workmates and I would have done, were we still working during this pandemic. I suspect a slight variant on the old method - block out Friday afternoon in the calendar, with spurious 'meetings', then set up a social zoom chat with beers. 

Where I work it was zero banter when we were in the office and zero banter when WFH.

• Like 1

We use teams an awful lot but there isn’t any real pressure to put the camera on. My boss does for team meetings but nobody else does.

I find the senior managers and above tend to do it (maybe they’re told to) but nobody else does.

13 minutes ago, trekka said:

"what are you most proud of" video  

My only reaction for that type of shit (got one in a questionnaire last week)

image.png.d1afbd0b1e3b8b6874033cd4d128623f.png

• Haha 1

Just now, Genie said:

We use teams an awful lot but there isn’t any real pressure to put the camera on. My boss does for team meetings but nobody else does.

I find the senior managers and above tend to do it (maybe they’re told to) but nobody else does.

I don't even turn on mine for team meetings but then someone does a screen share (my weekly team meeting is now a quick catch-up followed by a funky quiz complete with videos, music and photos :)). I will turn on my camera with someone if say, I recognise they are struggling at home and might need a friendly face (I hope) they are happy to chat to. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

Where I work it was zero banter when we were in the office and zero banter when WFH.

I had two or three like-minded mates there who liked a beer. One of them was the personnel manager, which was fortuitous. 

• Like 1

I started enjoying work when I realised I could decline meetings if I thought they were pointless or if I wasn't absolutely required. there  are far too many people who seem to set up a meeting just because they have nothing better to do, and I've been on so many calls with 20 attendees that could have been solved by 2 people having a chat and leaving the other 18 out of it. It's ok to have a chat and send other people an update rather than summoning half the virtual office to a tedious meeting.

My next level of dealing with it, if I've been tricked in to a meeting which looked like it was useful but turns out not to be is to just silently leave whenever I've had enough. That one's going to be a bit trickier to pull off when we're back to the office.

8 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Reaction videos. Particularly music ones. I can make an exception for people that do actual musical analysis on what they're listening to as it's more educational, but seeing someone sitting there going "wow this is cool" and getting hundreds of thousands of views, and eventually getting paid to do so, does my nut in. 

See Also: unboxing videos

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I can see why people dislike them, but if I’m waiting for some tech to arrive I do like an unboxing to build the excitement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Depends, the relaxingend the weird guy with the gloves and the katanas and stuff who doesn't say anything who has a hugely successful YouTube channel unboxing is good when he gets the ultra limited edition gaming stuff 

Honestly not a clue how he gets some of it

His assasins creed, ghost of tsushima and last of us ones are good, the last of us one is huge 

Â