Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

"Can I get a mac and cheese"

@mjmooney would love that. 

No you cannot get it but feel welcome to order macaroni cheese from the menu and I’ll bring it for you, Otherwise please leave my restaurant or I will remove your eyeballs with skewers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

The fairly new (and I assume American based) phenomenon of ‘Mac and Cheese’.

It’s Macaroni Cheese,  no need whatsoever for an ‘and’.  You don’t say Spaghetti and Bolognese do you.

I'm with you on this, but it actually makes more sense. Macaroni and cheese is what it is. Macaroni cheese would be cheese made out of macaroni, which is just odd.  I expect it'd be that cheese with the holes in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I'm with you on this, but it actually makes more sense. Macaroni and cheese is what it is. Macaroni cheese would be cheese made out of macaroni, which is just odd.  I expect it'd be that cheese with the holes in it.

Mac and Cheese n gravy

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

On 10/01/2021 at 11:04, mjmooney said:

I think superstition runs deep in the human psyche. We live in a hostile universe over which we have very little control, and we crave the idea of being able to influence our fate by ritualistic behaviour. Plus, we love patterns, even if they are meaningless - witness the Ice Rink thread - and we are undeniably creatures of habit. We all joke about our OCD quirks - but for most of us it's not true OCD (which can be a life-crippling mental illness), but just 'the way we like things to be'. I always put my right sock on before my left, but I don't think anything bad would happen if I didn't. I mutter "Please God, let Villa beat Man U" - but I don't believe he actually exists, let alone takes an interest in Premier League football. 

I would also add to this that there are different types of superstition. I don't believe in any of the walking under ladder stuff or breaking a mirror off a black cat, but I do think the other type of superstition is more akin to a form of psychology. So for example the sportsperson who doesn't think they'll do as well in a game if they're not wearing their lucky pants or didn't drive the same way to the ground.  Now the pants and the route themselves have nothing to do with the outcome, but the belief in it can genuinely change that person's outlook, which can then affect their performance.  So it's a weird form of sports psychology. A self-fulfilling prophecy type thing. Believing you will do better can often make you do better because you'll simply try hard when you think (or know(sic)) that you will succeed.  Similarly, going out with the wrong mindset can find a way to lose if you believe there was no point anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BOF said:

I would also add to this that there are different types of superstition. I don't believe in any of the walking under ladder stuff or breaking a mirror off a black cat, but I do think the other type of superstition is more akin to a form of psychology. So for example the sportsperson who doesn't think they'll do as well in a game if they're not wearing their lucky pants or didn't drive the same way to the ground.  Now the pants and the route themselves have nothing to do with the outcome, but the belief in it can genuinely change that person's outlook, which can then affect their performance.  So it's a weird form of sports psychology. A self-fulfilling prophecy type thing. Believing you will do better can often make you do better because you'll simply try hard when you think (or know(sic)) that you will succeed.  Similarly, going out with the wrong mindset can find a way to lose if you believe there was no point anyway.

Magpies for me, got to salute the Magpie, Good Morning Mr Magpie how's the wife and children. Once drove 40 miles or so to see a second one , freaked me out. People who rudely have the TV or stereo sound on an odd number as well, have to check whenever I enter a room before settling 

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Magpies for me, got to salute the Magpie, Good Morning Mr Magpie how's the wife and children. Once drove 40 miles or so to see a second one , freaked me out. People who rudely have the TV or stereo sound on an odd number as well, have to check whenever I enter a room before settling 

And don't start me on the Mrs insisting that the central heating is set at 19 degrees, it's either 18 or 20.

Edited by Sid4ever
Forget the wife
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Mac n Cheese n gravy

It's lovely, it goes together surprising well. They do mac and cheese at Toby Carverys now. 

I know how this will be received on here.

"First our fish and chips, now they're fiddling with our roast dinners!"

driving chris farley GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

And don't start me on the Mrs insisting that the central heating is set at 19 degrees, it's either 18 or 20.

19 in just plain wrong but you have now added another thing to my checklist 😬 🤣

Edited by Follyfoot

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

It's lovely, it goes together surprising well. They do mac and cheese at Toby Carverys now. 

I know how this will be received on here.

"First our fish and chips, now they're fiddling with our roast dinners!"

driving chris farley GIF

Is it as a starter or do they bang it out with the actual roast, Cali flour and cheese, although a bit exotic is OK I think 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Mac and Cheese n gravy

At the works canteen I've had that - albeit Mac and Cheese with peas and chips, with gravy on the chips.

Too much stodge, but I was Hank.

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Is it as a starter or do they bang it out with the actual roast, Cali flour and cheese, although a bit exotic is OK I think 

With your main, next to your meat and veg. Mmm, it's making me hungry.

toby-carvery.jpg

On 09/01/2021 at 11:09, Seat68 said:

There used to be a fantastic country music pub near Rugeley power station on the way to Armitage. Loved the place, Spode Cottage. Closed down so local gigs dried up. 

Private residence now so I am told 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

yep im the same with magpies "hello captain" or the rhyme "1 for sorrow, 2 for joy"

not too fussy about the stereo number just not 13, if you put your car stereo on 13 then you will crash, its simple science

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

People who rudely have the TV or stereo sound on an odd number as well, have to check whenever I enter a room before settling 

Yep. This is the one that I categorise under 'very mild OCD' rather than superstition. Mrs M just changes the volume without even caring whether it ends on odd or even. Like you, I have to intervene. 

Â