Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

15 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Another phrase related one. And one that is increasingly used on here.

Starting off sentences with “I mean”. 

I mean, you can do that if you want to. I mean, it’s not quite as bad as when it’s spoken, but to me it’s odd written down.

So, OK, the thing about it is, I mean, like, not every word relates to the purpose of the sentence and some are giving the brain thinky time. Probably don't need that as much in a written post, but I guess it just reads more naturally. I have been known to do it.  The phrase-related one that annoys me and I'm also guilty of is dropping the pronoun from the beginning of the sentence, where I started the above with 'Probably' instead of 'You probably' like wot real English would do.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2021 at 17:19, mottaloo said:

My missus does this but only to the first magpie she sees. "Good morning Mr Magpie, how's your mother ?". Sees a second one of the day - separately - and does nothing.

Then again, she IS from Burntwood 

Can you ask how the Magpie’s mother is for me?* Haven’t been back “home” for a while now.

*I have never heard such a phrase before

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

So, OK, the thing about it is, I mean, like, not every word relates to the purpose of the sentence and some are giving the brain thinky time. Probably don't need that as much in a written post, but I guess it just reads more naturally. I have been known to do it.  The phrase-related one that annoys me and I'm also guilty of is dropping the pronoun from the beginning of the sentence, where I started the above with 'Probably' instead of 'You probably' like wot real English would do.

Yeah I understand that. It has a certain placeholder quality to it.

When people type it out, I also have the sense that it’s a way of giving off a more casual air to their post. I’m fine with that, keeping things informal. 

It’s just the way it’s written down that grates. I’m not articulate enough to explain why it bugs me. I think it’s something to do with the “flow” of the sentence, almost like it’s not easy on the eye.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah I understand that. It has a certain placeholder quality to it.

When people type it out, I also have the sense that it’s a way of giving off a more casual air to their post. I’m fine with that, keeping things informal. 

It’s just the way it’s written down that grates. I’m not articulate enough to explain why it bugs me. I think it’s something to do with the “flow” of the sentence, almost like it’s not easy on the eye.

Ah OK, I get that. It adds its own punctuation to the flow of the reading. It almost adds a staccato to it :thumb:

21 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Some of you have bizarre arrangements with your significant others. Defined you load ,I'll empty , type "arrangements " would do my head in

Ours is far less regimented and really about who has the most time  on their hands at a given time  ....

When I read that it kind of sounds like you have a maid.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

The phrase-related one that annoys me and I'm also guilty of is dropping the pronoun from the beginning of the sentence, where I started the above with 'Probably' instead of 'You probably' like wot real English would do.

Can't stand that. 

46 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Disappointed doesn’t come close. On a Teams call and someone is waffling can you hear me. I respond with yes I can hear you Clem Fandango. **** silence. Nothing. Wasted in this job. 

I'm with your teams colleagues on this one

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Disappointed doesn’t come close. On a Teams call and someone is waffling can you hear me. I respond with yes I can hear you Clem Fandango. **** silence. Nothing. Wasted in this job. 

It’s them not you mate, at least now you know where the racists and brexit voters and paedo’s are in your work circle.

• Haha 2

When a relative phones (normally my eldest daughter) and then waits for me to make the conversation as if it was me that phoned her. Its like dragging blood from a stone

Similar for my lad when I had another grandchild I text him   I text "great news mate, I bet your dead chuffed and is Becky ok, lovely news that Mia has a little sister" and he replies 

Ye

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Haha 3

Â