Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

11 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yes mate all coming down . The one did come down last year as you say.  Think they are building 1500 houses among some other things. Did  a bit of work there when I was 17. Be a shame to see it disappear from the skyline .

They're coming down all over. The ones over Telford way (Ironbridge I think) came down 12 months ago. Building thousands of new homes there. 

I usually moan about not doing anything on a Saturday

Well today I had a tyre blowout. In the dark. On an unlit country road. In rural Shropshire. At minus 1 degrees. With freezing fog. Which was nice. 

I'll stick to boring afternoons in the warm please. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Superstitious people. 

Mike’s post in the Christmas thread reminded me that I can’t stand people being overly superstitious. Taking decorations down before or after the twelfth night has no bearing on your future luck. 

My missus can be quite bad with it, don’t put new shoes on a table, it’s bad luck! No it isn’t. How could it be? How does putting an inanimate object onto another, mean that bad things will happen to you. Don’t open an umbrella indoors, it’s bad luck. Again no it’s not. Even if you poke somebodies eye out, it’s not bad luck, it’s carelessness. 

There’s so many superstitions etched into millions of people’s thinking, most are completely ridiculous if they actually thought about them. Good luck and bad luck is just a label for things when people can’t be bothered to look for the real reason things happen. Superstition stems from ignorance of science, and there’s no reason in 2021 for people to believe this crap. (Much like the magic man in the sky). 

The only one that makes any sense is don’t walk under a ladder, not because it brings bad luck. It’s just sensible health and safety. 

Mmmmm.... sounds like you have it bad. Seems a bit heavy that you cannot stand people being over superstitious. Live and let be I say, as long as they are not doing anyone any harm . Science does not and won’t ever  be able to explain everything. There are scientists that believe in god believe it or not, and in some cases being a scientist is what triggered their beliefs. 

As for decorations we usually put them up first weekend of December , but we decided to put them up middle of November Xmas just gone to cheer the street up a bit in lockdown. They get taken down New Year’s Eve, or New Year’s Day. 

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

...There’s so many superstitions etched into millions of people’s thinking, most are completely ridiculous ..., and there’s no reason in 2021 for people to believe this crap.

Fingers crossed it’ll fade out, touch wood*

*not pfk.

• Haha 1

I remember reading something with Richard Dawkins, I think it was an interview in the radio times, so a fairly light hearted piece. 

He was asked if he had any superstitions or something similarly quirky. He said that he does this thing when he goes through a door - one of those self closing doors you get in office corridors - as soon as he’s through it, he has a target he aims to reach, the number of steps taken maybe or getting level with a fire extinguisher up ahead...whatever, before the door closes behind him. 

I can’t remember the reason he gave for doing that, just some quirk of being human, giving the brain an obstacle to keep it entertained probably. But I remember clearly his answer because I’ve done exactly that before now. I don’t consider myself superstitious, and obviously I know that superstitions are hokum.

However the best summary for me on superstitions and luck generally is that quote attributed to Niels Bohr when asked why he had a horse shoe hanging up (paraphrased) “Of course I know it doesn’t bring you luck. But it’s meant to bring you luck whether you believe it or not.”

Edited by Mark Albrighton

I think superstition runs deep in the human psyche. We live in a hostile universe over which we have very little control, and we crave the idea of being able to influence our fate by ritualistic behaviour. Plus, we love patterns, even if they are meaningless - witness the Ice Rink thread - and we are undeniably creatures of habit. We all joke about our OCD quirks - but for most of us it's not true OCD (which can be a life-crippling mental illness), but just 'the way we like things to be'. I always put my right sock on before my left, but I don't think anything bad would happen if I didn't. I mutter "Please God, let Villa beat Man U" - but I don't believe he actually exists, let alone takes an interest in Premier League football. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Mmmmm.... sounds like you have it bad. Seems a bit heavy that you cannot stand people being over superstitious. Live and let be I say, as long as they are not doing anyone any harm . Science does not and won’t ever  be able to explain everything. There are scientists that believe in god believe it or not, and in some cases being a scientist is what triggered their beliefs. 

As for decorations we usually put them up first weekend of December , but we decided to put them up middle of November Xmas just gone to cheer the street up a bit in lockdown. They get taken down New Year’s Eve, or New Year’s Day. 

Yeah you’re probably right, I should chill and go easy on them. Whatever gives people comfort is good as long as they’re not harming anyone. 

To be fair this thread is called ‘things that piss you off that shouldn’t’, so it’s bang on the money for that. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

I always have a cup of coffee before I do the left over washing up from the night before.

Routines are good, they keep us feeling comfortable with our environment. Even I have them, like I always get dressed before I go outside... mostly. 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Yeah you’re probably right, I should chill and go easy on them. Whatever gives people comfort is good as long as they’re not harming anyone. 

To be fair this thread is called ‘things that piss you off that shouldn’t’, so it’s bang on the money for that. 

God Bless You 

• Haha 2

Has anyone watched John Butler on YouTube ? Probably not I know, but I stumbled upon him by mistake. I listen to ASMR to relax me, weird I know, but it works. Anyway he’s became a bit of an online figure for ASMR people to listen and relax to.  His take on God is pretty interesting, and is big into meditating and being present in the here and now. 

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The fairly new (and I assume American based) phenomenon of ‘Mac and Cheese’.

It’s Macaroni Cheese,  no need whatsoever for an ‘and’.  You don’t say Spaghetti and Bolognese do you.

"Can I get a mac and cheese"

@mjmooney would love that. 

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It’s Macaroni Cheese,  no need whatsoever for an ‘and’.  You don’t say Spaghetti and Bolognese do you.

Spag 'n bol 😉

14 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

If its any consolation the americans remove the superflous and from vodka and coke. 

• Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

What about the spag bollers ?

Â