Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I was born in the 70s so most my childhood was in the 80s and I can’t stand the ‘chart’ music from that era (along with the fashion) but do believe there is some gold amongst the muck!

much prefer the 90s along with the 60s, 70s. 

• Like 1

80’s music is whatever you want it to be. Yes there was a lot of shite over produced big haired Americana, but that’s awful whatever the date.

If you like Dexys and Blondie, Beastie Boys, House and Techno, it was a fine time. From sweaty clubs listening to stomping soul to jumping up n down in a field it was perfectly good fun.

Top of the Pops may well have been shit, but that’s your fault if that’s where you’re at.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

80’s music is whatever you want it to be. Yes there was a lot of shite over produced big haired Americana, but that’s awful whatever the date.

If you like Dexys and Blondie, Beastie Boys, House and Techno, it was a fine time. From sweaty clubs listening to stomping soul to jumping up n down in a field it was perfectly good fun.

Top of the Pops may well have been shit, but that’s your fault if that’s where you’re at.

I have a lot of good and bad memories of the 80s. The bad outnumber the good. I prefer to focus on now not like friends who seem obsessed about going to see the a quarter of Johnny Hates Jazz in a field in Cheshire. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I have a lot of good and bad memories of the 80s. The bad outnumber the good. I prefer to focus on now not like friends who seem obsessed about going to see the a quarter of Johnny Hates Jazz in a field in Cheshire. 

Yes, that about sums it up.

As much as I enjoyed chunks of it (if you can’t enjoy your teens and twenties there’s no hope), I have no interest in going to see ‘From the Jam’ or two blokes from Run DMC etc..

By the same token, I’ve found an old Dexys CD today and there really are some excellent tracks in amongst the stinkers. Plus some excellent New Order stuff has had a spin today. All on a little portable CD player too, to get that authentic shitty 80’s radio sound.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

I was thinking a few years ago, that if someone from 1995 walked down the street or into a pub in 2015, no one would blink or be able to identify them.  That's a 20 year gap. 

There is so much that I like about this idea.

What if it was someone who was a regular at the pub from 1995 to 2005? Amazing.

I think the biggest tell would be their choice of bar snack.  Or the copy of Loaded magazine under their armpit, and the Kappa poppers they would be wearing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

There is so much that I like about this idea.

What if it was someone who was a regular at the pub from 1995 to 2005? Amazing.

I think the biggest tell would be their choice of bar snack.  Or the copy of Loaded magazine under their armpit, and the Kappa poppers they would be wearing. 

Let's not forget that before the 80's they would be forced to leave said pub by 10.30 and wouldn't be walking in there in the middle of the day at all.  Seems so archaic now (and did at the time) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Let's not forget that before the 80's they would be forced to leave said pub by 10.30 and wouldn't be walking in there in the middle of the day at all.  Seems so archaic now (and did at the time) 

I've just realised that if they were a regular, they might end up having a pint with themselves. 

I love a time travel paradox, especially in a pub.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I've just realised that if they were a regular, they might end up having a pint with themselves. 

I love a time travel paradox, especially in a pub.

Just to keep this on topic, time travel paradoxes really piss me off. 

Started looking at 2019 albums retrospectively. 

Even given the slightly wonky 'smarter' search engine skew, there's a lot of 90s sounding tunes being made.

Finding things I like, but they're not really new. That Dominik Eulberg track I put up a couple of weeks back is almost vintage Royksopp.

Reckon a bit too much of the wonderful modern audio tech we enjoy these days is employed to mimic music past.

Washing and tumble drying a duvet, only for it to turn out that it's "suitable for washing and tumble drying" in the same way a hatchback is "suitable to be driven in to the sea".

it may as well advise you to save yourself the effort and just put it straight in to the bin. Bastards. 

• Haha 3

Â