Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

9 hours ago, snowychap said:

I'd be doing you and me a disservice by claiming to know the reference and/or the source, Bicks. :blush:

I didn't recognise the lyric, but I know what Bicks likes and I know that the Bunnymen frontman (frontbunny?) was called Ian McCulloch. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I didn't recognise the lyric, but I know what Bicks likes and I know that the Bunnymen frontman (frontbunny?) was called Ian McCulloch. 

I really wanted him to be quoting Jimmy McCulloch from Wings :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

The fact that when I'm jogging past someone's drive it always seems to be the 0.0001% of the day that a car is pulling off it.

I hope they have the courtesy to reverse enough to let you pass. I always do that if I'm the driver. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I hope they have the courtesy to reverse enough to let you pass. I always do that if I'm the driver. 

Ah but you know runners etiquette.  I'd do the same, but many don't.

Technically the car is crossing the pavement anyway so the pedestrian should have right of way.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2019 at 15:02, A'Villan said:

Fair enough.

You might be right, I think I see where you are coming from at least.

Sentimental gestures are not going to bring these people back, they're not going to wash away the pain, and sometimes they aren't even genuine.

So I think I do see your point.

However sometimes it's nice to know you're not all alone in this world, and sometimes a thoughtful gesture can go along way.

Sometimes even the notion that there's a man in the sky that you can speak to and ask for help is comforting for some people.

I agree with this, quite strongly. The thing that is offensive about 'thoughts and prayers' is its use as a disingenuous phrase uttered in the context of the aftermath of gun violence instead of taking any action whatsoever to reduce the problem. Not the concept of somebody thinking of you and hoping you're okay. 

• Like 1

I'm away for work, and checked out terrestrial TV for the first time in years while I was bored in the hotel.

Nothing but cheap to produce reality TV shit on the first 10 channels, then you hit the 20-30 year old repeats.

Then I saw an advert that pretty much ruined the film I was going to go and watch. TV is shite.

• Like 2

On 10/09/2019 at 18:17, Chindie said:

Second heat of 'celebrity' MasterChef.

The posh drunk from Googlebox, Josie Long, a reality TV doctor who I've never ever seen or heard of before, a 'professional quizzer' who I've never seen or heard of, and an 'actor, radio presenter and poet' bloke who, again, I've never seen before or heard of.

Josie Long and Googlebox fella are legitimately famous I guess, if both properly ZZZ list, but the rest... Crikey. I assume MasterChef doesn't pay well if this is the best they can dig up. More famous faces are prepared to eat insects and kangaroo cock on TV than cook.

Third heat of 'celebrity' MasterChef.

Dillian Whyte, Greg Rutherford, Martha Reeves, a Radio 1 DJ and a French actress who I've never heard of. 

We're in danger of actually have a round of actually famous people. I mean niche famous, but famous.

Also Greg Rutherford. Is there a less likeable British sports personality? I didn't like him when he was actually competing, but now when he's angling for a media career, **** hell.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Third heat of 'celebrity' MasterChef.

Dillian Whyte, Greg Rutherford, Martha Reeves, a Radio 1 DJ and a French actress who I've never heard of. 

We're in danger of actually have a round of actually famous people. I mean niche famous, but famous.

Also Greg Rutherford. Is there a less likeable British sports personality? I didn't like him when he was actually competing, but now when he's angling for a media career, **** hell.

Is it not the cookery competition that is more important than who the celebrities actually are?  Maybe Tom Cruise was lined up but they discovered he can't actually boil an egg.  Greg Rutherford does seem a bit artificial whenever I've seen him on things before.

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Is it not the cookery competition that is more important than who the celebrities actually are?  Maybe Tom Cruise was lined up but they discovered he can't actually boil an egg.  Greg Rutherford does seem a bit artificial whenever I've seen him on things before.

Oh I'm not really bothered who's on it, I just found it amusing/bewildering how far they stretch 'celebrity'. I'd watch regardless of who the contestants are, I just like the show, but you'd think they'd be able to get a few minor household names for the celeb edition.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Who, Who, yep, No Chance and possibly.

Boxer, former Olympic long jumper and current clearing in the woods, Martha Reeves, some guy called Ricky and 'Elizabeth Bourgnine', who is so accomplished as a cook she didn't know how to assemble lasagna.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Boxer, former Olympic long jumper and current clearing in the woods, Martha Reeves, some guy called Ricky and 'Elizabeth Bourgnine', who is so accomplished as a cook she didn't know how to assemble lasagna.

Last one was a who as well then

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You've never heard of Greg Rutherford? 

I hand over my crown. 

Don't really watch athletics much, especially field events. Don't really watch the 'lympics either. I just wouldn't come into contact with him

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Don't really watch athletics much, especially field events. Don't really watch the 'lympics either. I just wouldn't come into contact with him

When Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah won their golds in 2012, Rutherford won another one at the same time (they all won within an hour of each other). So he picked up a fair bit of exposure, obviously through his own ability and achievement, but also in part from doing it at the same time as two more well known athletes.

This is the most I’ve seen his name in seven years.

Â