Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I can admire her cause and her passion , but she's being manipulated and patronised by people like the UN giving the floor to a hysterical teenager  , i understand she has Aspergers  but someone with her condition should not be manipulated the way she is , the long term harm for her welfare doens't look good , she'll be a suicide statistic before she's 20

the only thing she got right in her speech was when she said " I should be back at school on the other side of the ocean " . .. Amen to that

That's the kind of flippant commenting the people moaning about her use tbh. 

What she stands for it right, we are and have been damaging the planet for a long time now.  The Earth does go through hot and cold periods, but no where near the current rate it is heating up. 

She is right, people are dying, will die and have died because of humankind's actions. 

I think she's been made the face of the movement because of her actions, she gained attention and she doesn't seem to mind having it, so that's ok.  I do hope when the wave of movement has moved on, that she keeps herself well. 

I think the issue is, is that what humankind has achieved is quite brilliant, and we move forwards, not backwards.  It's a fairly recent issue, is the evidence of climate change.  We're getting more and more data about it now, and every time we see new data, the situation is worse - on top of increasing amounts of industrialisation from developing countries.  

It's kind of chicken and egg now.. Who decides where progression stops?  And it all boils down to economy, another thing she said that is true.  She's lucky to have rich parents, I'll give her that, but what she is saying isn't wrong.  And it's hard to hear because we all do things we know are bad for the environment, like driving, using data (data centres use incredible amounts of energy), having a bath instead of a shower.. to eating burgers from places we know use intensive farming.. It's our lives now, and it would be shit if burgers were off the menu.

The great thing she is doing is raising awareness, the awareness will the turn into pressure on the policy makers because millions of young (and older) people agree.  

I said earlier that we're damaging the planet.. white lie, we're not damaging the planet, the planet doesn't give a shit.  What we're doing is damaging ourselves, rising sea levels will flood societies, more extreme weather conditions will create more storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, monsoons, willy willies (for our Ozzie brethren) and we'll just kill each other.  

Edit.  I will say though, I'm not a huge fan of her way of speaking, it's very direct and inflammatory, but if it gets the right actions, then fair enough. 

I do love the "well why doesn't she help by giving her phone up?" arguments on twitter by gun nuts in the states :lol:  

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

That's the kind of flippant commenting the people moaning about her use tbh. 

I can't speak for the internet  and definitely not for twitter but I have been very close to with someone with Aspergers for 15 years , so I was speaking from a point of experience   , suffice to say listening to her speak today my first instinct was for her general well being  , the suicide comment wasn't made with flippancy it was made by someone with first-hand knowledge of children  with Aspergers ...she  shouldn't be being used for political purposes like this , look at the anger in her face and her emotions  , ask yourself is it healthy  to place a child in this position , yet alone one with a volatile emotional condition

of course then instinct kicked in and then i went into flippant mode  with the hysterical child back at school mode but hey , its what i do

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

im not criticising her, she doesn't bother me in the slightest, let her do her thing, as long as she targets big businesses and governments then that's fine, as long as she doesn't start complaining about me washing out bean tins...

unfortunately climate control is a long way down my list of problems and stresses and that is where whilst I agree climate change doesn't give a shit how much money you have but how much money you have is likely to influence whether you give a shit about climate control

I think climate control protestors, vegans, animal rights protestors etc face the stigma that they're not working class / real world problems, would she be campaigning in the UN if she had a cash in hand job to help her parents pay the electric bill this week? nope, she's there because her parents are rich

If only that were true.

And therein lies the problem right - we're coerced into believing that it's not a real problem when pretty much any and all scientific fact point to the polar opposite.

Seen the film Interstellar? Without wanting to trivialise the discussion that's the way we're heading if science is to be believed (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be unless you put your faith in less verified sources of 'truth')

I've not got time to worry about impending doom, my boss is a dick, and I don't know what to have for dinner. Got some marriage problems, who cares if half the country will be underwater. :) 

As far as I can tell "real world" problems = insignificant problems. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:
  • They are not fit for their intended purpose, most of you still gets wet
  • They make people walk slower when everybody else wants to hurry
  • they restrict the vision of the user
  • people who use them are totally unaware of the danger they cause in their wake
  • The need for everyone else to wear safety goggles when in the presence of the umbrella'd
  • wind never accompanies rain
  • Its H20 not H2SO4

In addition to all that my particular gripe this morning was the gits who get on the tube in the morning with rain cascading off their recently closed h2o protection devices, all over me. 

• Like 1

Before most of us realise it’s a genuine problem it will be too late. Not enough people care, and the ones that do are having their efforts of changing things completely thrown back in their face. It needs a collective effort, and until that happens there is not much hope. It’s one of those things where people say, well when it’s really goes tits up i’ll be long gone. What about your kids, and their kids etc etc . 

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've not got time to worry about impending doom, my boss is a dick, and I don't know what to have for dinner. Got some marriage problems, who cares if half the country will be underwater. :) 

As far as I can tell "real world" problems = insignificant problems. 

With brexit all the planes will cease flying to the Uk and we'll have done our bit for climate change , so those of us that survive the famine won't have to worry about waking up and finding Flipper eating their cat

Just now, Seat68 said:

Does she want me to give up my car and foreign holidays, what about Veganism. I don't think I am ready for all of that just yet. 

She wants to burn your motorhome. 

• Haha 1

I like the message that Greta is giving, she is right, we all need to do better with the environment and the more heads of state she can reach the better. 

I just hope the adults responsible for her are looking out for her best interests and not their own. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

With brexit all the planes will cease flying to the Uk and we'll have done our bit for climate change , so those of us that survive the famine won't have to worry about waking up and finding Flipper eating their cat

Tony, I have found someone who does flippancy and sarcasm better than you...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Does she want me to give up my car and foreign holidays, what about Veganism. I don't think I am ready for all of that just yet. 

Maybe you could have a more energy efficient car next time you swap. Think about hybrid or electric perhaps? Maybe you could have fewer holidays that require long distance jets and occasionally have more local holidays. Perhaps you could eat less beef, which is by far the worst for carbon emissions and go for more chicken/fish, or even have a couple of veggie nights a week. 

It's not all or nothing. You don't have to build a zero emissions shack in the woods out of reclaimed pine, grow your own food and start knitting your own clothes out of hemp. At the same time, us all doing nothing and pretending that our current level of disposable consumerism is sustainable is probably a pretty bad idea.

Feeling like you can't become a fully fledged tree-hugger doesn't mean you should do nothing. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Why should I be made to feel guilty when I burn a dozen lorry tyres in my garden or throw a broken fridge into a canal? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â