Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I was wondering why the media put these children on a platform? Why not a scientist or professor with 50 years experience and data instead?

The science is out there already though and people still choose to ignore it. Covering school protests adds a human element reminding people that it's their kids' future that will be affected.

It's pretty easy to dispassionately read a scientific paper without giving any thought to the human element, whereas it's harder to ignore your child when they ask why you don't care about their (and their childrens') future.

The whole thing is no doubt opportunistic, but I see no problem with that when the cause is good and the scientific consensus doesn't seem to have done a great job at waking people up.

22 hours ago, Davkaus said:

:snip:Maybe you could have fewer holidays that require long distance jets and occasionally have more local holidays.

I took the boy to the Design Museum in London on Sunday  , they had a section on single use plastic for a flight  , it was quite staggering the waste involved , plastic water bottles , plastic milk cartons , plastic knife and forks  , even single use headphones .... they had various designs on how to improve this .. a water trolley , disposable milk capsules ,  plates made from reusable materials , bring your own headphones  , indeed even bring your own entertainment system and take the fixed ones out of planes  ... thing is none of what they proposed was actually that radical , but I still don't see any airlines adopting it until consumers demand it

from a work perspective we do a lot of testing that involves single use plastic plates , i use maybe close on 100,000 a year of them for my testing  ...  after years of trying , clients have finally consented to using sugar cane ones that are 100% renewable resource and compost back to the Earth... the annual cost increase is a few hundred £  , insignificant in the grand scheme of things , though tbf the objection was more around the appearance and quality of bio plates rather than money 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

from a work perspective we do a lot of testing that involves single use plastic plates , i use maybe close on 100,000 a year of them for my testing  ...  after years of trying , clients have finally consented to using sugar cane ones that are 100% renewable resource and compost back to the Earth... the annual cost increase is a few hundred £  , insignificant in the grand scheme of things , though tbf the objection was more around the appearance and quality of bio plates rather than money

Hippy!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

but I still don't see any airlines adopting it until consumers demand it

Unfortunately I think that is always going to be the case.

Even companies with really comprehensive CSR policies only do it as they know a growing number of young people are engaged with these issues so it could improve income.

My dissertation was actually on the profitability of sustainability (particularly from a real estate perspective) looking at factors that were easy to quantify, as well as those that are more difficult. The reality is any corporation will be willing to reduce energy usage as it's a cost saving, whereas more wide-ranging green policies will be decided based on their target market.

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

indeed even bring your own entertainment system and take the fixed ones out of planes  ... thing is none of what they proposed was actually that radical , but I still don't see any airlines adopting it until consumers demand it

That is extremely radical!   I demand they keep the entertainment system. 

Also, its not 1 use, its probably used for years. 

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

One of the less obvious ways Eavis makes money at Glastonbury is that the traders have to use plates and cups supplied by the site.

With it being such a high profile 'hippy' event a lot of effort goes into keeping the waste to a minimum, and as recyclable or biodegradeable as possible.

They're constantly looking to improve, and I've seen some of the contenders.

My favourite was a process that compressed leaves together to form the plates and cups. It gave the impression you were eating off a forest floor in Autumn :) Alas it didn't pass the strict hygeine criteria.

The best reusable 'green' crocks I've seen were in a Berlin cafe. Looks like earthenware, but they're a natural resin of some sort.

oslo-kaffebar-berlin-oslo-kaffebar-berlin-image_3-.thumb.jpg.9d685034cd0115a6d02967a6fe8c4d41.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That is extremely radical!   I demand they keep the entertainment system. 

Also, its not 1 use, its probably used for years. 

my bad  , I think the entertainment system was more about weight and adding to the carbon footprint  and not that it was single use

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

One of the less obvious ways Eavis makes money at Glastonbury is that the traders have to use plates and cups supplied by the site.

With it being such a high profile 'hippy' event a lot of effort goes into keeping the waste to a minimum, and as recyclable or biodegradeable as possible.

They're constantly looking to improve, and I've seen some of the contenders.

My favourite was a process that compressed leaves together to form the plates and cups. It gave the impression you were eating off a forest floor in Autumn :) Alas it didn't pass the strict hygeine criteria.

The best reusable 'green' crocks I've seen were in a Berlin cafe. Looks like earthenware, but they're a natural resin of some sort.

oslo-kaffebar-berlin-oslo-kaffebar-berlin-image_3-.thumb.jpg.9d685034cd0115a6d02967a6fe8c4d41.jpg

my favourite is in the fatal restaurant in Hungary where the soup is served in bread so you eat the bowl   ..not good for multi use though :)

soup-served-in-a-bread.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

but I still don't see any airlines adopting it until consumers demand it

interesting post :)

We're in danger of going a bit bollitics here, but I think you're absolutely right, airlines won't do it of their own volition. Unfortunately,m I don't think consumers will demand it on a wide scale, either.

I think it's going to take tough action from governments around the world to enforce regulations for the good of all of us that individuals aren't necessarily going to agree with. We can't leave this to the whims of the general public, or we'll continue screwing ourselves.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

my favourite is in the fatal restaurant in Hungary where the soup is served in bread so you eat the bowl   ..not good for multi use though :)

This happens on the festival circuit too. Yorkshire pud 'plates'

A really non trendy, not frequented by white people (hot!), Sri Lankan cafe near home started serving up takeaway meals in banana leaves quite recently.

The curry and rice/string hoppers all in the same parcel.

Â