Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd say so.

But I'm sorry to hear about your mom, that's awful. 

A really good friend of mine lost his mum in January this year from an aortic aneurysm.  Went to bed fine and dandy, never woke up.  Husband didn't hear or feel a thing. 

Absolutely terrible. 

Much appreciated, but I've had near enough 2 decades to get used to it.

We didn't lose my mum, but she has been in a care home ever since. She only survived as she happened to be in the hospital at the time having a follow up for a brain tumour.

I'm sure you can understand why on a personal level being told prayer will help is a bit frustrating! Admittedly this is different than a stranger offering a comment to acknowledge someone else's suffering, but I've never really been one for polite small talk either!

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Much appreciated, but I've had near enough 2 decades to get used to it.

We didn't lose my mum, but she has been in a care home ever since. She only survived as she happened to be in the hospital at the time having a follow up for a brain tumour.

I'm sure you can understand why on a personal level being told prayer will help is a bit frustrating! Admittedly this is different than a stranger offering a comment to acknowledge someone else's suffering, but I've never really been one for polite small talk either!

I understand completely, it's patronising what you're uncle has said, like your prayers may make your mum better.. it's nonsense. 

We're mechanical and if something goes wrong somewhere, as it can, the affects can be minimal, or mega, short term or life long.  Closing your eyes and talking to God can't change it.  Science could, potentially though - albeit too late for your mum I imagine :( 

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I understand completely, it's patronising what you're uncle has said, like your prayers may make your mum better.. it's nonsense. 

We're mechanical and if something goes wrong somewhere, as it can, the affects can be minimal, or mega, short term or life long.  Closing your eyes and talking to God can't change it.  Science could, potentially though - albeit too late for your mum I imagine :( 

As long as science gets to a point in my lifetime that I can pay to be cryogenically frozen and wake up when it's the proper future (flying cars, transit tubes, sentient robots etc) then I reckon I can forgive it!

When you consider that there are animals that regrow limbs (as a pretty standard example) and way weirder and more wonderful things are being found in newly discoverd species (particularly deep sea) it makes you realise if we can understand and harness some of these processes there are going to be some incredible advances in our lifetimes.

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I'm going to dig myself a hole and jump in head first by saying this..

But some of the dogmatic thinking in recent posts is almost worship in it's own form.

Do you need a dogma to be dogmatic?

I've never understood religion, but am very careful to not be disparaging of others who are religious. This is in no way because I'm one of those people who think maybe there is something out there, it's just a matter of respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I'm going to dig myself a hole and jump in head first by saying this..

But some of the dogmatic thinking in recent posts is almost worship in it's own form.

No it isn't, it's nothing remotely like worship (which is one of the most bizarre and loathesome concepts ever invented). 

• Like 2

That BBC Bitesize ad, where the kid doing his homework asks his parents: "Why do we have day and night?" - and they look completely baffled and shrug. What parent couldn't answer that? 

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That BBC Bitesize ad, where the kid doing his homework asks his parents: "Why do we have day and night?" - and they look completely baffled and shrug. What parent couldn't answer that? 

Not seen that ad. 

I suppose if they answered “Well, because the Earth turns of course”, the kid could then say “Ok...why does it turn?”. Then have the confused look between mum and dad.

I think it’s probably more believable that the parents might not immediately have an answer to that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Not seen that ad. 

I suppose if they answered “Well, because the Earth turns of course”, the kid could then say “Ok...why does it turn?”. Then have the confused look between mum and dad.

I think it’s probably more believable that the parents might not immediately have an answer to that one.

That would have been a better ad. When one of my kids was about four or so she asked me "Where does water come from?" I wondered whether an explanation of the rainfall/evaporation cycle was a bit too much, but had a go anyway. She certainly listened carefully, and I think took in at least the basic idea. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That would have been a better ad. When one of my kids was about four or so she asked me "Where does water come from?" I wondered whether an explanation of the rainfall/evaporation cycle was a bit too much, but had a go anyway. She certainly listened carefully, and I think took in at least the basic idea. 

They take it in and they remember the most random of things you’ve told them.

Turns out a decade after that very question, my nipper took the answer on board as an absolute fact. That the clouds rain on the hills, it trickles down streams and river and out to sea and evaporates in to clouds that rain again on those hills and mountains again.

Apparently, I’m now told, that answer confused her for years as she knew from her own experience that it rains on the beach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

”Am I the half that's half and half or am I the half that's whole” (McCulloch)

I'd be doing you and me a disservice by claiming to know the reference and/or the source, Bicks. :blush:

Edited by snowychap

Â