Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

At least it's not a case of "celebrity" because he's famous for being on I'm a celebrity, which he was on because he was famous for being on celebrity Big brother, which he was on because he was on celebrity pointless, which he was because he was on celebrity.... 

Then you chase it all the way back and find out he was once 7th on the apprentice 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

I used to get annoyed about the definition of celebrity. 
Then I realised that it didn’t matter, and my definition was wrong anyway.
Back in the olden times of the mid 1980’s you were a celebrity because you knocked around theatre land or you were in films or on the TV. Originally, you had to be in music hall, then that branched out to being an artist or a literary or political commentator. Slowly but surely this extended to people called Fanny that could knock out a decent blancmange, or spinsters that shout sit at errant dogs. Then it accelerated and nuns that had something to say about willies in old paintings had their 5 minutes of fame. But you had to be promoted by tv, film or newpapers.

Now there is massive competition from a greater array of screens, phones give Instagram types 15,000,000 followers. You cannot argue a puffy lipped moron that promotes injecting hummus up your chuff for fluffier chuff lips isn’t a celebrity if they have millions of people hanging on their every enhanced selfie.

They’re no less deserving of celebrity than a bookish old bloke with a cravat and a plummy voice and a food review column in a Sunday.  They’re no less deserving of celebrity than a 60’s pop star that had two hits and a rumour about a mars bar.

They just likely got their via a new route. Love Island is just this year’s way of kids getting famous. Fifty years ago they needed to get in front of the guy that chose the next pop star. Fifty years before that, they needed a promoter that got them on the bottom of the bill at the Palladium. Same shit, new media.

• Like 3

Just now, villa4europe said:

50 years ago once you got on that stage you needed actual talent or the ability to do something... 

Its at an all time low now with the likes of Katie Hopkins, its dangerous 

Nah, the ones you can remember from 50 years ago are the ones that had talent. Hence the reason you can remember them.

Plus of course, there will have been far more talented people that we never got to hear of because they didn't get picked up by the right promoter at the right time.

Best of luck to them today, if they can buy a house for their mum on the proceeds of a fat arse and a decent smart phone.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Don't really watch athletics much, especially field events. Don't really watch the 'lympics either. I just wouldn't come into contact with him

I watch pretty much zero athletics and still have seen/heard Greg on about 5000 TV and radio programmes since 2012.

Just now, Genie said:

Pretty much every type of TV and radio programme that there is.

I don't watch live TV pretty much haven't for over a decade. The only radio station I listen to is 6 Music or possibly very occasionally 5 Live or Radio 4, the last two very selectively, never for sport

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Try saying that five times in a hurry. 

you knew that would happen didn't you

I said fluffy chuff lips five times and I appear to have summoned the fluffy chuff man, who's now sat in the office waiting for windows to reconfigure the spare laptop. I'm struggling to see a new horror franchise in this if I'm honest.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I used to get annoyed about the definition of celebrity. 
Then I realised that it didn’t matter, and my definition was wrong anyway.

What have you got against us?

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

What have you got against us?

Nothing really.

When I look back and regret not having monetised my huge arse and signature eyebrows, when I want to feel good about myself again, it's straight on the BBC i-player and watch the general knowledge section of any old episode of Celebrity Mastermind.

Turns out, I'm spectacularly intelligent!

Edited by chrisp65
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BOF said:

We're in the right thread here.  The spelling of both center & parcs for a Dutch/British company that spells neither centre nor parks in that way.  Fffffuuuuu.

That pisses me off around Europe when I see shopping centres called 'Something Center'.

Also the word 'Wellness'

Watching the United game now, gonna have to turn it off purely because of the constant 1 and 2 word chants from their fans. Its absolutely unbearable. 

Red army

Red army

Red army

For about 5 minutes solid

Edited by Genie

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Watching the United game now, gonna have to turn it off purely because of the constant 1 and 2 word chants from their fans. Its absolutely unbearable. 

Red army

Red army

Red army

For about 5 minutes solid

Think you've missed the point: they're beseeching Putin to send a land force. 

• Haha 1

Â