Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

HSBC must be close to finished though by now?

Was finished and fully operational back end of last year. Just everything around it is rubble! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Fizzy pop.

Would rather drink bleach.

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

FTFY. 

Don't know if you'd categorize it as fizzy pop, but have you tasted a good ginger beer?  I generally don't like fizzy pop, either, but love a good ginger brew.   Added bonus:   find some vodka and lime and you've got a Moscow Mule.

8 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Don't know if you'd categorize it as fizzy pop, but have you tasted a good ginger beer?  I generally don't like fizzy pop, either, but love a good ginger brew.   Added bonus:   find some vodka and lime and you've got a Moscow Mule.

Fair point. I will enjoy a ginger beer once a year or so. And, if I'm honest, I can even enjoy the odd cola (don't give a shit about the brand), again, maybe one a year. But I am apalled that people (jncluding my offspring) drink this stuff weekly, or even daily. 

Fizzy pop is like crack to me, my one proper addiction, got myself off it a couple of times but always end up back on it, the recent strawberry and raspberry flavours this time, linked with food too, there are certain foods that for me make me want to drink coke, always want one after a fry up for example 

I've scaled back my fizzy pop intake. Used to have one every day, after lunch at work. Usually a Coke Zero. 

Now, its once in a blue moon I have one. Perhaps 1 every month or two. 

A lot of the obesity and health issues in the US stem from people drinking it like we used to drink water and milk.   As a kid, a Coke was a treat.  We'd drink it with dinner if we went out (which was also a lot less common back then), never with meals at home.  Nowadays people drink it with lunch and dinner and whenever they're thirsty.   I don't see how they can do it.  It's too sweet for me.   I drink iced tea or sparkling water.   If I want something sweet, it's juice.

• Like 1

Have to echo above sentiments, hadn’t been to the city centre for around 5 years and went up on Wednesday. What a **** hole.

The smell of cannabis was literally everywhere, as were angry drunks, wannabe gangster yoots congregating everywhere, the amount of homeless is depressing and the lack of soul/atmosphere was quite stark. It all just felt a little bit off. Not unsafe or anything, just a bit weird. Inside Grand Central is good though, light years ahead of what was there before at least. The walk past the new library to the museum is crap though with all the faceless glass building construction going up. I kind of miss the old library walkthrough.

Anyway, won’t be going back for another few years.

When you say 'the old library', I assume you mean what I think of as 'the new library' (the current one being the 'new, new library'). The old library was a rather impressive redbrick Victorian edifice. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

When you say 'the old library', I assume you mean what I think of as 'the new library' (the current one being the 'new, new library'). The old library was a rather impressive redbrick Victorian edifice. 

Not sure, I’m on about what they’ve just knocked down, don’t get me wrong, it was an oppressive concrete block with the Maccies and dingy shops inside plus the Wetherspoon BUT it had a function and a few shops to look in inside, now it’s just faceless glass buildings going up either side that don’t seem to have any purpose once done. 

Edited by Ingram85

Come back of holiday in Weymouth to a speeding ticket AND a parking ticket from the trip.

speeding ticket, yeah fair enough, it was a mobile camera at a point where it goes from 60 to 30, (doing 39 so obviously got me before I’d slowed to 30) but that’s sneaky. 

Parking ticket, I paid and displayed and luckily have the ticket for the car still so gonna contest that.

cant be having £200 in fines this week.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Oh here is one. People walking around with sunglasses indoors. 

I had mine on indoors 2 weeks ago as they were prescription ones. My wife reminded me that I was a clearing in the woods. 

Just now, Seat68 said:

I had mine on indoors 2 weeks ago as they were prescription ones. My wife reminded me that I was a clearing in the woods. 

Same.

I was on the verge of asking the staff in a Starbucks why it was so dark and moody in there when thankfully, I just remembered I had my prescription sunnies on.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The old library (old old) was a wonderful building looking at the photographs. Knocking it down and replacing it with Madin's brutalist mess must have been one of the worst decisions ever made by Birmingham City council, and they have made a few!

As for the new new one, I love it. Go there quite a bit at lunchtime. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Not sure, I’m on about what they’ve just knocked down, don’t get me wrong, it was an oppressive concrete block with the Maccies and dingy shops inside plus the Wetherspoon BUT it had a function and a few shops to look in inside, now it’s just faceless glass buildings going up either side that don’t seem to have any purpose once done. 

Personally I think your completely insane if you think the walk through the middle of the 1960's inverted ziggurat library was better then what is currently being constructed. 

Open air wide walk through with high quality paving surrounded by world class office buildings with high end restaurants at street level. 

Compared to what went before which was a complete and utter failure in town planning this will be a bit of a game changer for Birmingham I think.

I'm getting depressed just thinking about that cramped dingy walk through. 

Edited by sidcow

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm getting depressed just thinking about that cramped dingy walk through. 

It did used to have a Hooters there though.

• Haha 1

Â