Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

12 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Is there a race of people that have had a DNA incident that means 90 % of them don't smell no matter how sweaty they get? This might be something else though so could be wrong :mellow:

I just don't sweat no matter how hot it is.   and don't get any BO either.

I do faint if i get too hot though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

Stage Fright...

Driving to work, becomes clear that I "need to drop the kids off at the pool" but stuck in traffic. Feeling increasing to almost pain and three minute warning,  almost touching cloth, get in to work, leg it to bog and nothing? What's the matter, after all that, stage fright or something? W t f. 

I'm afraid to say the offending poo, struggling to find an exit, will have now spread into your respiratory system and I'm sorry to say you have roughly one hour to live. Oh I see you posed this one hour ago.

RIP Midfielder.

Edited by Paddywhack

26 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm afraid to say the offending poo, struggling to find an exit, will have now spread into your respiratory system and I'm sorry to say you have roughly one hour to live. Oh I see you posed this one hour ago.

RIP Midfielder.

Saved by a 59th minute evacuation. Think, fast shooting through main tunnel out of New Street station, real InterCity 125 express style, three carriages, first class at the rear. 

But, definitely a second train at the platform though but waiting on a driver, service suspended until further notice. 

Must have had a dodgy meal last night

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Looks like there's been a large scale cyber attack (ransomeware) on hospital computer systems across the UK, the people behind this deserve to be disemboweled. 

You'd think a hospital would be set up to deal with viruses.

Too soon ?

• Like 4

With infrastructure as ancient and poorly maintained as the average trust, it's no surprise.

The Guardian's hospital has a photo a doctor sent of one of their PCs. Yup, still on XP.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

still on XP

Gross negligence ? If their Mission statement is something like "Making sure the needs of the patients and staff are at the forefront of X,Y and Z"  then having 1 PC on hospital grounds with XP on is almost a pre-meditated criminal act in terms of protecting the Trust as a whole.

words removed.  

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Gross negligence ? If their Mission statement is something like "Making sure the needs of the patients and staff are at the forefront of X,Y and Z"  then having 1 PC on hospital grounds with XP on is almost a pre-meditated criminal act in terms of protecting the Trust as a whole.

words removed.  

Is it the right time to mention that right now, on a desk on the ground floor of this building there are 2 machines running ... wait for it ... Windows 3.11 ?  Not the right time?  I better not mention it so :ph34r:

• Like 1

There's not necessarily an issue with still having some old, unsupported devices around, if they're properly secured and only used for the required use cases. My old company had a couple of XP devices used to control some engineering equipment, that were made by a company that had since gone bust. Replacing those XP devices meant replacing the multi-million pound equipment that they controlled. They were hooked up directly to those via serial cables, had no network connection, and USB was disabled. It's not ideal, and you still want a roadmap to put that function under support, but it's understandable, and the risk has been managed.

Having such old kit out there, networked, for general use is dangerous and negligent. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Daft noob IT question - How often would/should a regular office change there PCs?

I've been working here nearly 10 years and we're all still using the exactly the same PCs. Keyboards, monitors and mouses...mice...mices? They all work fine. Kind of.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's not necessarily an issue with still having some old, unsupported devices around, if they're properly secured and only used for the required use cases. My old company had a couple of XP devices used to control some engineering equipment, that were made by a company that had since gone bust. Replacing those XP devices meant replacing the multi-million pound equipment that they controlled. They were hooked up directly to those via serial cables, had no network connection, and USB was disabled. It's not ideal, and you still want a roadmap to put that function under support, but it's understandable, and the risk has been managed.

Having such old kit out there, networked, for general use is dangerous and negligent. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Yep, exactly.  In our case it's an application so old but so comfy that the operators love it and continue to use it to this day.  It does require a bit of jiggery pokery in this day and age but I find it kinda cool that it's still able to do the biz :thumb:

17 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Daft noob IT question - How often would/should a regular office change there PCs?

I just emailed Bill Gates this question, and the answer is: "Ideally, daily". 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

3 or 4 years under my current regime here but we're mostly thin clients so it's not a major consideration for me. 

• Like 1

I think it's incredibly unlikely that anyone was specifically targeting the NHS.

My money is on badly managed permissions, and some clearing in the woods opening up URGENT_TAX_REBATE.PDF.EXE from their personal email.

• Like 1

Â