Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

33 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The Beeb describing Chris Sutton as "ex-Chelsea striker". When he's covering a game that doesn't have anything to do with Chelsea. He spent 1 season there.

And was utter garbage! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes can add this to the clearings in the woods who walk into you because they are glued to their phones. Kind of wish for a giant electromagnetic pulse attack that destroys all of these devices. 

I've always wondered about this.  I can avoid people walking into me when looking forward.  However if I take my eye off the pavement for one second I walk into someone.  Does that mean generally I'm the only one looking? 

29 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I've always wondered about this.  I can avoid people walking into me when looking forward.  However if I take my eye off the pavement for one second I walk into someone.  Does that mean generally I'm the only one looking? 

I remember once on a busy high street some prat in a suit literally came out of nowhere, face down engrossed in his tablet, had no real time to react other than to tense up at bit, he collided with me and came off for the worse, I could hear the tablet hit the ground as I continued to walk on, was pretty satisfying. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

My immediate reaction is to apologise when someone walks into me.

Two English people bump into each other. 

A: "Sorry!" (I apologise)

B: "Sorry?" (I didn't hear what you said)

A: "Sorry" (I'm repeating the apology)

B: "Sorry!" (I apologise for making you repeat yourself)

etc. 

• Like 4

On 2017-5-14 at 00:07, V01 said:

Another thing pissing me off, the staff parking charge is going up to £30 per month in June. 

Thats pretty cheap for a month's worth of parking.  Must be subsidised.

Where i work (in Solihull), the cheapest car park around is £70 per month.

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Two English people bump into each other. 

A: "Sorry!" (I apologise)

B: "Sorry?" (I didn't hear what you said)

A: "Sorry" (I'm repeating the apology)

B: "Sorry!" (I apologise for making you repeat yourself)

etc. 

I would rather this than the usual foreign approach which seems to be resistance to queuing for anything or even displaying anything approaching manners in terms of holding doors or acknowledging a good deed, no doubt we go too far with our politeness at times but its better than the alternative.

• Like 3

The fact that 10% of the NHS budget goes into treating type 2 diabetes pisses me off. That's more than smoking and alcohol. Sugar is fast becoming what is ruining our health system (apart from politicians) and no one seems to want to do anything about it. I don't have anything against fat people, but I do think the percentage of fat people in our country is beyond belief at the moment. Yesterday I had to stand on a train from Southampton to London because a fat guy literally took up two whole seats with his fatrolls. He didn't even flinch or apoligise when an old lady asked if he could move over, me and another bloke had an argument with him to get up so this old lady could sit and it took him 10 minutes to get up. On his way up he let rip like a disgusting pig.

Is self inflicted fatness the new epitome of egoism?

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The fact that 10% of the NHS budget goes into treating type 2 diabetes pisses me off. That's more than smoking and alcohol. Sugar is fast becoming what is ruining our health system (apart from politicians) and no one seems to want to do anything about it. I don't have anything against fat people, but I do think the percentage of fat people in our country is beyond belief at the moment. Yesterday I had to stand on a train from Southampton to London because a fat guy literally took up two whole seats with his fatrolls. He didn't even flinch or apoligise when an old lady asked if he could move over, me and another bloke had an argument with him to get up so this old lady could sit and it took him 10 minutes to get up. On his way up he let rip like a disgusting pig.

I read all of that in David Mitchell's voice.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

No.

Next question.

I'd be interested in finding out what you think is then. From where I stand being so overweight that the rest of the taxpayers have to pay for me to get my teeth pulled out, my foot amputated, my very own mobility scooter, free cab rides to town etc. is up there with jumping in front of a train to make a huge statement about how sorry someone's life is. 

A friend of mine runs a bariatric lift and pump factory, he's making so much money on the NHS having to have elephant size equipment and lifts that he's almost got no words for it. If I was a nurse and was expected to try and lift people who weigh more than 3 normal sized people I'd quit on the day. 10 years ago no kids had type 2 diabetes, now a days it's not uncommon at all.

Edited by magnkarl

27 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It is not an egotism thing it is a societal thing.

J G Ballard wrote a great story called The Subliminal Man about a future dystopian society where everything is geared to increasing consumption.

His characters are forced to work ever-increasing hours to get enough money to consume more and refusing to consume is considered antisocial.

With every household now needing two wages to keep up with the Jones's and younger generations expected to work into their seventies, the increase in hours has occurred.

Marks and Spencer's trading figures are now worthy of being the main story on the news, with reports which hint strongly that maybe we are not consuming enough.

Healthcare is geared to supply medication so that people can carry on over-consuming, in the form of drugs to treat diabetes, beta-blockers and diuretics for people with high blood-pressure and statins for people with too much cholesterol.

This is all to avoid the economic consequences of them consuming less.

Governments have deliberately created the sort of society where people are so demoralised that their need for large amounts of comfort food is guaranteed.

• Like 1

Â