Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

On that note, I am getting really pissed off with Paypal and the amount of times I'm having to log in to check my recent transactions.  Jeez.  And not even the common decency to refer to me by my own name in the email either !

• Like 2

In fact, that's basically confirmed:

It's a cryptolocker variant, asking for $300 to decrypt the files on each PC. That's not a targeted attack on an organisation, it's the same shit users get on their home PC every day.

The question is how this has got on to multiple machines across several trusts. I'd guess a dodgy link going out through official mailing lists?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Work in the IT department of a large trust, not one affected luckily, utter scum bags.

Why work for them then?

giphy.gif

• Like 4

On 12/05/2017 at 15:59, sharkyvilla said:

I **** hate hackers.  I'd happily bring back the death penalty for them.

Bring back the death penalty for people who misuse the word hacker. I'm a hacker. I don't do bad things to people - I just write code and make computers work.

Any organisation which doesn't do endpoint protection (or use thin clients) on devices accessing or storing PII is negligent and probably criminally negligent. The government presumably has an exemption to GDPR because 4% of the country's turnover would be about the same as the Brexit charge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Daft noob IT question - How often would/should a regular office change there PCs?

I've been working here nearly 10 years and we're all still using the exactly the same PCs. Keyboards, monitors and mouses...mice...mices? They all work fine. Kind of.

Approximation, every 4 - 5 years IMO but it depends on what you use them for,  if Email and Word use only then as long as its supported software (OS + Office + virus protection etc) then it don't matter too much I suppose.  I would get new mice, keyboards and monitors (New ones better for eyes) though as that's a piss take and probably the source of many a new viral pathogen, or do they get cleaned regularly :D   

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Is it the right time to mention that right now, on a desk on the ground floor of this building there are 2 machines running ... wait for it ... Windows 3.11 ?  Not the right time?  I better not mention it so :ph34r:

"The ground floor of this building"

"Ok BOF don't panic and keep calm,  I think you are in 1994 or thereabouts."  

"The why's and how's can wait, let's just try and get you back in one piece mate".  

"Can you see anything that looks like a Flux Capacitor or maybe you have some unfamiliar car keys in your body warmer? "

• Like 2

On 5/11/2017 at 08:50, Ingram85 said:

Yeah driclor literally changed my life. I always wore black shirts in summer to hide the fact I sweated a lot. 

But yeah it **** stings like a right clearing for me as I suffer from excessive sweating quite bad but once I'm asleep its fine. 

One thing I never got with it was that one application would last for days apparently but I have to put it on every other night. /sweaty loser.

I must try this out. I sweat like a bastard in the summer and have the largest collection of black, charcoal and navy blue shirts in the office. Never wear light colours or white as they go see through! Its not my pits though, its my back and my pecs. Underarm is fine. 

I always put it down to carrying a couple of stone more than I should. 

When you have been stuck in for a few days while off work then when you want to go out nobody can be bothered.

Its Friday night ffs, my mates are early 30's but to speak to them you'd think they were 95+ and living in nursing homes. If they ever become single in future I'll make it a point to ignore their pleas.

Edited by Ingram85

14 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

When you have been stuck in for a few days while off work then when you want to go out nobody can be bothered.

Its Friday night ffs, my mates are early 30's but to speak to them you'd think they were 95+ and living in nursing homes. If they ever become single in future I'll make it a point to ignore their pleas.

I'm guilty of being boring tonight. A lad in the office who is new the city just asked if I fancied a few beers. I just don't tonight, even though I have no plans. I'm a miserable old sod! Mind you, i've got 3 nights out next week so i'm not always like this. 

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can't imagine a worse Friday night than being out on the piss in town. :P 

Nah I don't touch town with a bargepole. Few pubs around Romsley/belbroughton, meet up an get take away or nip out for pub grub or curry house or whatever, anything man! Four walls syndrome.

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

With me, there are no false alarms. I get about a minute to find somewhere. A while back I was out for a lunchtime walk with a pal and I got the stabbing pain. I was 5 mins from work and weren't going to make it. A Morrisons nearby so I sort of legged it (had to keep bum cheeks clenched) and into the bogs. Two cubicles. One occupied and the other, a guy was just coming out and I charged past him like 'The Fridge' was 80's NFL and in one movement I managed to shut the door, full my slacks down and evacuate my bowels. I felt sorry for the chap in the cubicle next to me as he must have thought Godzilla with the squits had entered the building. 

The worrying thing was, if both cubicles had have been occupied I don't think I could of held it in. It would have either been the sink, the urinal or the floor. 

I know exactly what you mean fella, my best mate has the same / similar. Went away on a barge with him for two weeks in 2015 and about ten fifteen times a day did Godzilla rock the boat. 

But yeah the false alarm I described is just not on. I sped up this morning and legged it into work and just sat there, like come on, after all that, those turds were playing with me. That pissed me off no end. It's like someone desperately flagging down a taxi and the taxi pulls in across different lanes, two wheels on to kerb , "hi get in" , and "no thanks I think I'll walk". Bastards. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm guilty of being boring tonight. A lad in the office who is new the city just asked if I fancied a few beers. I just don't tonight, even though I have no plans. I'm a miserable old sod! Mind you, i've got 3 nights out next week so i'm not always like this. 

I completely get that, we all need a night in during the week but my mates and brother are always bloody staying in. Its only worse because I've stayed in the last few nights.

11 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

I know exactly what you mean fella, my best mate has the same / similar. Went away on a barge with him for two weeks in 2015 and about ten fifteen times a day did Godzilla rock the boat. 

I'm not that bad, luckily, but the lack of notice is the biggest killer! Makes being out the house for a long time a risky affair.

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm not that bad, luckily, but the lack of notice is the biggest killer! Makes being out the house for a long time a risky affair.

Precisely and with said mate, the Scotland trip we took a few years ago was a tour of many service stations en route. Ah well. 

Me in your circumstance that time I'll have had to have reversed up to the sink and let fly hoping nobody came in. Not your fault bogs were taken, mans gotta go and you're technically in the toilets afterall

• Like 1

Â