Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

the law on carrier bags only applies to plastic carrier bags, some retailers, high end ones that put it in paper bags are charging and pocketing the money, also not been in primarni, but they use paper bags too, are they charging?

the law on carrier bags only applies to plastic carrier bags, some retailers, high end ones that put it in paper bags are charging and pocketing the money, also not been in primarni, but they use paper bags too, are they charging?

when it first started over here the cashiers were trying to charge for those small bags you would put the fruit or veg into as well 

People who moan about getting charged 5p for a bag.

Also, the cashiers apologising to me for having to charge me 5p.

It's 5p. I couldn't give less of a shit. Give me 100 and I might bat an eyelid.

Despite being annoyed by the government caving into the the tyrannical, nonsensical, and illogical Green obsession with carrier bags, I was quite prepared to pay for the bags, but I was surprised to find that it wasn't the simple act of exchanging 5p for a bag, as I'd hoped.

I don't like the whole proselytising tone of some transactions, where I get a look like I have been caught drowning puppies, and encouraged to minimise my crime by buying a 10p bag rather than a 5p one.

In one shop I asked for two bags but was only 'allowed' one.

No doubt the zealotry will cool as it becomes the habit but until then it will definitely continue to get of my tits. 

The one thing we have to look forward to, is that having introduced the concept to a chorus of "it's only 5p" the price will inevitably be increased.

• Like 2

Went to the doctors on Monday for about the fifth time about migraines I keep getting come on at work (every couple months or so). Get 'em so bad I have to go home and sleep it off. Tried explaining to the doctor it was possibly down to work related stress as I've literally gone through every other possibility it may be triggering them, which she sort of got. Then she asked me about having a sick note which we both agreed could recuperate me a bit, so I got 2 weeks. Trouble is, on the note under reasoning all she has wrote is 'migraine'. So now, because my work is like the **** grapevine it is I'm getting texts of people I hardly ever speak to saying stuff like 'What's happenin with ya head then kid?' to which I didn't reply to last night, so I get another this morning saying 'What's happenin then kid?'. I'm glad you care and that, but this dick 'ed just wants to be the one to tell the people of my work what my problem is. 

Rob-dog barsteward car insurance companies. :angry:

Very much this! My girlfriend had a minor collision a couple of months back. It was debatable as to who was at fault but her insurers advised her to admit liability, which she did just to get things sorted. It turned out that her car was a write-off due to the damage to the door. The insurers eventually paid out, minus her excess. Then, last week, she received an email from her insurers that had been intended for the other party's insurers and was sent to her in error. It stated that her insurers were not accepting the other party's demand for an outlay as they held the other guy involved to be 100% responsible! All this after telling her to accept liability and her excess from payout! Absolute bastards. She's obviously complained but they are being incredibly shit at getting back to her meaning that she's had to call their premium rate phone number on several occasions. Chances are it's their standard practise but we never would've found out if they hadn't dropped a bollock and sent her that email by mistake. Looking at least get her excess back as well as reinstate her no-claims. 1st Central BTW. Avoid. 

Despite being annoyed by the government caving into the the tyrannical, nonsensical, and illogical Green obsession with carrier bags, I was quite prepared to pay for the bags, but I was surprised to find that it wasn't the simple act of exchanging 5p for a bag, as I'd hoped.

I don't like the whole proselytising tone of some transactions, where I get a look like I have been caught drowning puppies, and encouraged to minimise my crime by buying a 10p bag rather than a 5p one.

No doubt the zealotry will cool as it becomes the habit but until then it will definitely continue to get of my tits. 

The one thing we have to look forward to, is that having introduced the concept to a chorus of "it's only 5p" the price will inevitably be increased.

It really isn't a big deal. It'll be habit soon enough, or we'll simply evolve larger hand spans to get 7 items to the car without a bag.

It might not stop the earth simultaneously burning and flooding, but it's surely better to reduce waste regardless of the 'why'.

Carrier bags alone make no difference. Just changing from leaded petrol alone did little for us or the planet, as did the tiny step with aerosol cans, or the change of gas in air con, or lead in paint, quicklime in building materials, sawing mdf without a mask, not separating food waste, stopping feeding dairy cows to dairy cows, getting the dolphins out of tinned tuna, not using rivers as toilets..... But somehow, if we can ignore the billions of people racing to consume and dispose as fast as we do, it must be for the better.

• Like 1

It really isn't a big deal. It'll be habit soon enough, or we'll simply evolve larger hand spans to get 7 items to the car without a bag.

It might not stop the earth simultaneously burning and flooding, but it's surely better to reduce waste regardless of the 'why'.

Carrier bags alone make no difference. Just changing from leaded petrol alone did little for us or the planet, as did the tiny step with aerosol cans, or the change of gas in air con, or lead in paint, quicklime in building materials, sawing mdf without a mask, not separating food waste, stopping feeding dairy cows to dairy cows, getting the dolphins out of tinned tuna, not using rivers as toilets..... But somehow, if we can ignore the billions of people racing to consume and dispose as fast as we do, it must be for the better.

Despite my annoyance it is the failure of my cynicism which leads me astray.

What the carrier bag thing actually achieves is to integrate a gesture of environmental concern into the act of consumerism which is characteristic of cultural capitalism.

Here's Slavoj Zizek explaining exactly how it works:

• Like 1

Seriously though. I was in Morrisons on Monday. The cashier told the guy in front of me he had to pay for his bags.

*big sigh* "oh yeah I forgot about that. Fine, I'll have three... no! I'll manage with two"

He then proceeds to stuff his shopping into two bags, and refuses a third bag when offered by the cashier.

JUST USE THREE! It's 5 pence! You wouldn't pick 5p off the floor if you saw it.

This.

The drama some people have made about it, makes me want to hurt them.

They've been charging 5p in M&S for years anyway.

• Like 2

You don't have to pay it. Just take you own bags in with you! Simples as the annoying meerkat would say! :)

Went to the doctors on Monday for about the fifth time about migraines I keep getting come on at work (every couple months or so). Get 'em so bad I have to go home and sleep it off. Tried explaining to the doctor it was possibly down to work related stress as I've literally gone through every other possibility it may be triggering them, which she sort of got. Then she asked me about having a sick note which we both agreed could recuperate me a bit, so I got 2 weeks. Trouble is, on the note under reasoning all she has wrote is 'migraine'. So now, because my work is like the **** grapevine it is I'm getting texts of people I hardly ever speak to saying stuff like 'What's happenin with ya head then kid?' to which I didn't reply to last night, so I get another this morning saying 'What's happenin then kid?'. I'm glad you care and that, but this dick 'ed just wants to be the one to tell the people of my work what my problem is. 

If your manager has disclosed the reason why you are off to your colleagues then they could be in trouble. Its a personal issue and only certain people should know. 

Also, tell the person texting you to piss off :)

• Like 2

This reel off the t&c's really fast that they do on radio adverts to appease the advertising regulators ... Just say buy our car cause it will make up for your miserable life /inadequencies  ... T&c's that you won't read anyway but will swear blind you weren't aware of when the ambulance chasers smell blood available online or in one of our showrooms

Combining the cars and Morrisons themes...

They've suddenly decided to employ a jobsworth parking company to 'police' their car parks. Last week the missus went down to do a shop and get her hair done in the hairdressers next door. So today we got a letter demanding an £85 fine because she went over the two hour limit.

When I think of the tens of thousands of pounds we've spent in there over the years, I'm less than impressed.

They've suddenly decided to employ a jobsworth parking company to 'police' their car parks. Last week the missus went down to do a shop and get her hair done in the hairdressers next door. So today we got a letter demanding an £85 fine because she went over the two hour limit.

When I think of the tens of thousands of pounds we've spent in there over the years, I'm less than impressed.

How much over?

I'm sure I've been told more than once that you can query the value of it based on them proving justification of the loss of income

• Like 1

Mooney, probably stating the obvious but challenge it via both Morrisons and the parking firm.

Very often they get waived if someone protests, They don't want the risk of pensioners getting scared of shopping there when negative parking stories start appearing in the local free paper.

I'm sure you already knew that.

It's an invoice, not a fine.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

Edited by limpid
  • Like 1

Â