Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

No, I mean the Victorian era!

God forbid the children express themselves :o

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Nah. Do what you like when you leave school, but you know the rules when you (i.e. parents) sign up. It's a school not a **** ing fashion parade. 

you don’t really sign up to school, it’s compulsory...

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

No, I mean the Victorian era!

God forbid the children express themselves :o

you don’t really sign up to school, it’s compulsory...

Exactly. But all schools have their own rules on uniforms, etc. Much like the military, in a way. Suck it up.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Nah. Do what you like when you leave school, but you know the rules when you (i.e. parents) sign up. It's a school not a **** ing fashion parade. 

Have you seen what they've been threatened for suspension for?

I mean if anything is going to engender a lifelong respect for authority and good citizenship, it's certainly not going to be some bell-end with a dictator complex getting in a lather about a pretty tame hair style and threatening to completely OTT "punishment".....

strewth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember getting in trouble in year 7 for dying my hair blonde with semi-permanent hair dye, I had a few lessons in isolation.

I thought it was stupid then and I still do (the punishment...not the hair...although the hair looked stupid too). Did it really matter if my hair was different for a few weeks, who cares? I asked my head of year if it would been alright if the blonde kid in my class dyed his hair brown. I don't think I got an answer.

I hated secondary school, I still get wound up by stuff that happened, getting told off or detention for something ridiculous or something I hadn't done. It made me totally uninterested, I couldn't wait to leave.

I've got about 15 stories. I think I need to write them all down and burn them to get some kind of closure :D

9 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I remember getting in trouble in year 7 for dying my hair blonde with semi-permanent hair dye, I had a few lessons in isolation.

I thought it was stupid then and I still do (the punishment...not the hair...although the hair looked stupid too). Did it really matter if my hair was different for a few weeks, who cares? I asked my head of year if it would been alright if the blonde kid in my class dyed his hair brown. I don't think I got an answer.

I hated secondary school, I still get wound up by stuff that happened, getting told off or detention for something ridiculous or something I hadn't done. It made me totally uninterested, I couldn't wait to leave.

I've got about 15 stories. I think I need to write them all down and burn them to get some kind of closure :D

The one thing that definitely peed me off is when you dared to question a teachers authority, completely justified in some cases, and the reward was to miss your lunch break or a nice half an hour detention after school.

There's times when it was just outright abuse of power, my word goes and that's it. You would hope that almost 20 years on things have gotten slightly more progressive. I feel like I may have just caught the tail end of the stuffy old teacher who had no time for their pupils, I bet there are loads of cool teachers now.

4 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

The one thing that definitely peed me off is when you dared to question a teachers authority, completely justified in some cases, and the reward was to miss your lunch break or a nice half an hour detention after school.

There's times when it was just outright abuse of power, my word goes and that's it. You would hope that almost 20 years on things have gotten slightly more progressive. I feel like I may have just caught the tail end of the stuffy old teacher who had no time for their pupils, I bet there are loads of cool teachers now.

Nope. No leeway to be cool. It's all box-ticking. 

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Yes! I remember getting a rollicking one break time for writing my name in the condensation on a window. The teacher acted like I’d put the window through.

”Would you do that at home!?”.  “Yeah” I replied. Not trying to being cheeky or answer back, just being honest. 30 minute detention.

I still draw cocks in condensation to this day, so your punishment did nothing Mr Turner! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Being a smart-aleck 6th former, my insubordination was rather more informed. 

Our A-level geography teacher was telling us about Luneberg Heath in Germany, "Where the Germans made their unconditional surrender, in 1944". 

Mooney: "1945"

Teacher: "Who said that?"

Mooney: "Me. You said '1944'. I assume you meant '1945'?" 

Teacher: "The Second World War in Europe ended in 1944. I think I'm more knowledgable than YOU about that".

Mooney: "Nope. 1945. May 8th, to be precise. But don't take my word for it - ask any of the history teachers. Or anyone, really". 

Teacher: "I won't discuss this anymore. Get back to your note taking". 

To his credit, in the next lesson, he apologised, rather sheepishly. My mates were pissing themselves. 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

50% of my teachers hated me the other half got on with me. Guess which half treated me with respect.

I once turned up to a detention after school with an ice cream from the van outside school, prompting everyone else in detention to claim it wasn't fair and all buggered off to get one themselves. The teacher was such a tit, he never gave me detention again, especially after he fell foul of my mother at Parents Evening. He started to tell my mother... something along the lines of "teaching doesn't work like that..."

She was a teacher herself, one who could have represented GB in board rubber throwing at the olympics

He wasn't the old one to fall foul of the parent trap

My maths teacher, the head of Maths no less, a lazy twunt if ever there was one once said to my father, I don't think you understand the maths we're teaching the children at 'O'- Level these days...

My Dad at the time was Assistant City Engineer of Birmingham Council - he exploded, my Dad never exploded, my mother did all the time, not my Dad though

The headmaster at my kids' first primary school once said to the mother of an autistic kid "Autism doesn't exist - it's a total myth". The mother was a senior doctor, and a world authority on autism. 

• Haha 1

I went to the same school as paddywhack and in his defence.. paddywhack is a **** whiny bitch.  

If I were a teacher, I'd have given him shit too.  

I was fine.  Had 2 detentions (1 for not doing maths homework, so I did it, then was allowed to leave and 1 for R.E.. can't remember what that was about).  I was excluded from the school for 4 days once when a website of pictures of my arse went school viral and someone was nasty on it's message board about a girl who had to have counselling (a sensitive soul). 

School was alright.  But then again I was never a good critical thinker and have always gone with the flow.  Whatever makes life easier is my motto.   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Have you seen what they've been threatened for suspension for?

I mean if anything is going to engender a lifelong respect for authority and good citizenship, it's certainly not going to be some bell-end with a dictator complex getting in a lather about a pretty tame hair style and threatening to completely OTT "punishment".....

strewth.

I'm with @mjmooney on this one

It's bad enough that teachers authority doesn't seem to be respected in schools anymore , a dress code incorporating reasonable hair isn't too much to ask for as a step towards getting some form of discipline in schools , I'm not suggesting we beat kids with the slipper but a uniform discipline without some parent going off on twitter or involving the local media isn't too much to ask

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It's bad enough that teachers authority doesn't seem to be respected in schools anymore , a dress code incorporating reasonable hair isn't too much to ask for as a step towards getting some form of discipline in schools , I'm not suggesting we beat kids with the slipper but a uniform discipline without some parent going off on twitter or involving the local media isn't too much to ask

I agree with this. Uniform and rules are very important.

Did you people learn nothing from the Simpsons? 

latest?cb=20130411201716

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I hate this 'cultural appropriation' argument. It's one step away from telling people who they can marry and fall in love with.

Well, that is the case in some religions. 

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

People who stop dead on a busy street (i.e. to look at their phones), just **** off.

Worse than Hitler. 

I like to plough into them from behind (ooooh matron) and then act very apologetic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

People trying to open a shut cubicle door. Then trying a 2nd, and 3rd time.

"**** off you word removed, i'm having a shit" usually works from experience. 

49 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Same question, Tony - have you seen the kids' haircuts? Basically short at the sides and a bit longer on top. 

2fd3d0225a8e266bba71fa7636e6bede.jpg

Is that really cause for suspension?

It's mental.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I hate this 'cultural appropriation' argument. It's one step away from telling people who they can marry and fall in love with.

Stuff like this is why I can no longer associate with the 'modern' left, there is an enormous fascistic impulse running through a lot of what is considered leftist politics these days.

Â