Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

My inability to pronounce 'th'. For years I pronounced it with an f until I eventually learnt the tounge movement and now consciously pronounce it 'th' but it sounds very weird to me and I feel silly when it say it. 

I've been considering speech classes for this and also to help reduce accent for a while to get ready of the Black Country accent. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My inability to pronounce 'th'. For years I pronounced it with an f until I eventually learnt the tounge movement and now consciously pronounce it 'th' but it sounds very weird to me and I feel silly when it say it. 

I've been considering speech classes for this and also to help reduce accent for a while to get ready of the Black Country accent. 

I thought it was just me. I'm the same, I've been pronouncing 'th' and 'f' the same my whole life. I've tried to correct it but I just sound even worse.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How people encourage others to drink when they are trying to quit.

I've had drink problems in the past and have been 4 weeks dry now. Went pub today and on 2 occasions people put the pint glass up to my nose and tried to temp me to drink.  I had to tell one guy about 5 times not to buy me a drink.

Now I know they only having a laugh and don't realise how much drink has affected me the past. But it just shows how engrained drinking is in our lives that there is no consideration of it being a drug anymore.  You're not seen as normal if no drinking. 

People actually couldn't understand that I didn't want a drink. 

I hear you, brother. 

I rarely drink (mostly through choice rather than because of any issues) and it genuinely seems to offend people that you won't accept a pint from them. Even when stating I am driving the response is "well, you can have one then?" seems the standard. 

• Like 1

First time poster to this thread but....

I've been invited to a (long-time best-mate's sister)'s wedding in the summer. The ceremony is on a Monday. It's a 4.5 hour drive away for me, UK Based, and they've booked a barn or something and need a minimum number of people to stay over for 3 nights (Sat, Sun, Mon) to make the numbers work and secure the place. As it's a best mate I can't really say no and genuinely am happy to be invited to her wedding and respect her family, but 2 days leave for me and my partner is causing real issues for various genuine reasons, other weddings we're going to and more selfish ones such as our own holiday plans (this year is a significant birthday for me).

I've told her that my plan is to travel home on the Monday evening (which will be a mission! - and no drinking) but still happily pay for the full 3 nights (£200) which has been met with a long silence so far...which experience has taught me isn't good with her. 

If it was just me I might just about reluctantly be able to swallow the 2 days leave but my partner has much less allowance than me (no flexi time unlike my ability to build flexi time) and if roles were reversed i'd be floored! I feel guilty even asking but shes been a good sport so far. It would be very different if it was my best mate, or her best mate/sister I think.....or am I just being really really miserable, since I've been privileged to go to the last 3-4 weddings I've been to.

Edited by Djemba_Villan

Dunno why people get so arsey about weddings. My daughter's getting married this summer, she's made her invitation list, and is completely 'que sera, sera' about who turns up. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I've been invited to a (long-time best-mate's sister)'s wedding in the summer. The ceremony is on a Monday. It's a 4.5 hour drive away for me, UK Based, and they've booked a barn or something and need a minimum number of people to stay over for 3 nights (Sat, Sun, Mon) to make the numbers work and secure the place. As it's a best mate I can't really say no and genuinely am happy to be invited to her wedding and respect her family, but 2 days leave for me and my partner is causing real issues for various genuine reasons, other weddings we're going to and more selfish ones such as our own holiday plans (this year is a significant birthday for me).

I've told her that my plan is to travel home on the Monday evening (which will be a mission! - and no drinking) but still happily pay for the full 3 nights (£200) which has been met with a long silence so far...which experience has taught me isn't good with her. 

If it was just me I might just about reluctantly be able to swallow the 2 days leave but my partner has much less allowance than me (no flexi time unlike my ability to build flexi time) and if roles were reversed i'd be floored! I feel guilty even asking but shes been a good sport so far. It would be very different if it was my best mate, or her best mate/sister I think.....or am I just being really really miserable, since I've been privileged to go to the last 3-4 weddings I've been to.

Its not your best mates wedding, but his sister.

Do you know her well? I wouldn't even bother going to a wedding that distant on a Monday!

If you really want to go to the wedding, go on Sunday evening, stay in a Travelodge and leave on Monday evening.

Your best mate will be fine about it which is the main thing.  

I hate this “but we’ve got you a room” thing that now seems commonplace at weddings.

I was an usher for my mate and he was trying to get me to make up the numbers for rooms. If the venue wasn’t local I could understand, but the venue was a fifteen minute drive from me and I was able to put up a couple of other wedding guests which helped them out.

Asking guests to spend 3 nights away for a wedding is ridiculous. What are you meant to be doing on the Saturday and Sunday if the wedding isn’t until Monday?

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I hate this “but we’ve got you a room” thing that now seems commonplace at weddings.

I was an usher for my mate and he was trying to get me to make up the numbers for rooms. If the venue wasn’t local I could understand, but the venue was a fifteen minute drive from me and I was able to put up a couple of other wedding guests which helped them out.

Asking guests to spend 3 nights away for a wedding is ridiculous. What are you meant to be doing on the Saturday and Sunday if the wedding isn’t until Monday?

It generally means the venue offered them a deal. If they get xxx number of people staying the night, they knock off £xxx from the wedding bill.

"We've got you a room" means, "I save some money if you stay".

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, choffer said:

It generally means the venue offered them a deal. If they get xxx number of people staying the night, they knock off £xxx from the wedding bill.

"We've got you a room" means, "I save some money if you stay".

Well then it doesn't much matter if he turns up then, surely? If he's prepared to pay, which he seems to be, he can just 'stay at the hotel' but not turn up. Or am I missing something?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

If anybody has their wedding on a Monday (and it's not a bank holiday) they should be pretty honoured if anyone with a job turns up to be perfectly honest with you.

There's a reason Bars/Clubs/Venues are cheapest on Mondays and Tuesdays and it's because no ****** wants to go out on Mondays and Tuesdays.

I suppose, in a way, you should be glad that the money doesn't actually seem the issue here, like ok - you'll pay - but actually we really wanted you here and all that. So that's nice.

And while we should all remember 'it's their special day' and cut some slack for some minor bridezilla moments (who is actually that great under pressure to be fair) - you really aren't responsible for either her responses or her mood.

You can even push all the blame onto your partner's employers here anyway - Oh we'd have loved to have stayed only tuesday is unbelievably very important day etc.

5 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Just say you and your partner can't get the leave. You will attend the wedding but will be driving straight back afterwards. No need for a room. 

If they can't accept that then just don't go. 

Sounds harsh but as i've got older I have less tolerance! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been said multiple times...

People who book meetings for 1pm. Accepted it. Never went to it, went out to lunch instead. When will people learn?! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

People who book meetings for 1pm. Accepted it. Never went to it, went out to lunch instead. When will people learn?! 

Especially on a Friday. 

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

That’s late, I finish at 3:30 (lunch at 11:30 or 12ish)

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

That’s late, I finish at 3:30 (lunch at 11:30 or 12ish)

I don't have a set time, some days I'll work through but i'll generally try and get a bit of fresh air at about 12:45pm

If I'm busy and working on completing on a number of deals I might not get out until about 2:30pm

On a similar note, two things. 

Firstly, people who accept meetings and don’t turn up, then act like it’s totally normal and fine. “Oh I had a clash”

great. Just **** tell me and I’ll rearrange then you absolute word removed flap. 

Secondly, when you decline a meeting, the person arranging it tries to have it anyway and then asks why you didn’t attend. 

words removed. words removed everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Firstly, people who accept meetings and don’t turn up, then act like it’s totally normal and fine. “Oh I had a clash”

great. Just **** tell me and I’ll rearrange then you absolute word removed flap. 

As long as you aren't sending requests for meetings at 1pm! 

Â