Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Did Stella ever get replaced? You really can't beat a bottle of Stella on Christmas day, which ironically is what you'll be doing later when you get a bit aggressive.

For some reason Stella does not agree with my insides and sends the stomach into meltdown just the same as Koppaberg does.

I remember years ago Stella launched a nice beer in silver cans which IIRC was called Stella 4% Triple filtered beer.

Finally able to enjoy a 'Stella' brand.. then the idiots go and discontinue it.    🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

You really can't beat a bottle of Stella on Christmas day, which ironically is what you'll be doing later when you get a bit aggressive.

I did read that Stella lowered the alcohol content years ago as they have spent years trying to shrug the "Wife Beater" tag that it had associated to it.

20 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I quite like the Cruzcampo :(  Had a lovely pint of it in Seville on a glorious day so there's a good chance there's a bit of the proustian positive association with the drink whenever I've had it. Or maybe it's one of those beers that's nice locally but shite when it travels

I was in Seville a couple of weeks back and had one with lunch 

I'm not a great lover of the taste  of beer so its usually a case of chuck it down before  it gets too warm and move onto the next one , but the one I had out there  was enjoyable , not to the point I became one of those polishers that held it up to the light and spoke about its full hop extract and pleasant notes ..but I sipped it and really enjoyed it  ..

They  served it really really chilled so maybe that is the secret  , they have mastered the art of keeping beer ice cold when its 34 degrees 

53 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Did Stella ever get replaced? You really can't beat a bottle of Stella on Christmas day, which ironically is what you'll be doing later when you get a bit aggressive.

yeah i think so, its not as prominent is pubs anymore is it? im the wrong person to say

when i did my post i did almost edit it to say when was the last time anyone saw kronenberg on tap? when i was 18 that was the beer of choice for those who'd already realised fosters was piss water, thats really died off

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I was in Seville a couple of weeks back and had one with lunch 

I'm not a great lover of the taste  of beer so its usually a case of chuck it down before  it gets too warm and move onto the next one , but the one I had out there  was enjoyable , not to the point I became one of those polishers that held it up to the light and spoke about its full hop extract and pleasant notes ..but I sipped it and really enjoyed it  ..

They  served it really really chilled so maybe that is the secret  , they have mastered the art of keeping beer ice cold when its 34 degrees 

Yes.

A thing I first noticed when I was in the Algarve (about 20 years ago or so) was they stored all their pint glasses in freezers. At the time I thought it was impressive and the beer remained lovely and cold until the last drop.

Touching on what you're saying (and thinking out loud)  maybe also complemented by them possibly storing the kegs in the cellar at a very low temperature too?

I am not a beer buff at all, so it goes without saying I like Madri, I have a couple of bottles in the fridge. My main pub drink is Camden Hells or Shipyard. I never drink beer all night though so it basically a pint then on to something else.

23 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

they stored all their pint glasses in freezers. At the time I thought it was impressive and the beer remained lovely and cold until the last drop.

Years ago, I was working in Florida, in the summer. It was very hot. The bars all did the glasses (and bottles) in the freezer/fridge full of ice thing. I was very thirsty (because it was hot) and after a couple of weeks of the necessary thirst quenching, I completely, or 95% at least lost my voice. At that time none of the American beers tasted of anything at any temperature, but they did the job. I think the one I liked the best was Busch, in a light bluey sort of tin.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Chilling lager down to the point you can’t taste the lager is a real product endorsement.

She'll be alright, it's the Australian way mate. No worries etc.

• Like 1

As @tonyh29 is honest enough to admit, ice-cold lager is for people who don't really like beer (apart from its intoxicating effects). 

I do like beer, so I prefer ale, draught if possible, otherwise bottles. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As @tonyh29 is honest enough to admit, ice-cold lager is for people who don't really like beer (apart from its intoxicating effects). 

I do like beer, so I prefer ale, draught if possible, otherwise bottles. 

its true :blush: 

it's telling that when we did the Bermondsey beer mile the other year , my favourite from the whole mile was ...  cider   (it was called elephant something and tasted like Christmas and everyone else hated it  )

one of the companies we visited had been funded via kickstarter and my mate one was of the people who funded them .... which meant we had to drink the beer with his name on the can .. it was warm , dark and flat and i  thought about faking my own death to get out of drinking it !! 

• Like 2

For me, cold lager is the best match for certain foods (Pacifico Claro, Tecate or Dos Equis for Mexican, Tsingtao for Chinese, Singha for Thai, Kingfisher or Taj Mahal for Indian though any decent lager can be interchanged for any of those).

If I'm drinking beer for the sake of having beer rather than as a beverage with one of the above types of food, I'll have an ale of some sort.

For other types of food I generally prefer wine with the meal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

THis is just the latest "premium lager" that'll be the cool thing to drink until it gets popular.

Used to be Peroni, then that got popular, then it was Moretti, that got popular. Now it's Madri

I drink them so I can't really complain :) 

Yeah anything Spanish or Italian sounding and it'll sell in bucket loads. 

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah anything Spanish or Italian sounding and it'll sell in bucket loads. 

Tried a "new" one when I was over last time, Italian beer in a blue bottle, poretti?

Piss water

Its gone from the 3 for £5 stuff where it was mythos or quilmes or asahi to stuff that feels like it's not actually foreign it's brewed in the UK and got a tacky name

And after all that growth in fancy foreign beers why is it still so hard to get a modelo?

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Tried a "new" one when I was over last time, Italian beer in a blue bottle, poretti?

Piss water

There was a new one in the pub I went to when I was away. Italian sounding, but no doubt brewed in Burton. It could have been Birra Roma, or Via Roma? 

There may be ales that I could tolerate, maybe my palate will change as I get older.

So it’s lager for me. Preferably I go for something other than the usual offerings. If I’m in a Joules pub, it’s a pint of Green Monkey. It’s a fairly lively lager which is normally what I’m drawn to.

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

There was a new one in the pub I went to when I was away. Italian sounding, but no doubt brewed in Burton. It could have been Birra Roma, or Via Roma? 

Birra Roma, Peroni with a hint of orange from Rome

• Thanks 1

Â