Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

24 minutes ago, Folski said:

Poor quality toilet roll in bathrooms.

Meaning to post this every time I go to the bathroom in work and then forgetting.

If you work in the same place every day then take your own stash, surely?

Yeah OK everyone knows when you're off for a shit (or a Tommy), but it's better than a sand papered ring. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Folski said:

Poor quality toilet roll in bathrooms.

Meaning to post this every time I go to the bathroom in work and then forgetting.

People who flush hard-earned dosh down the toilet.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

When I was at school (state grammar school, 1960s) it was both better and worse. No national curriculum, no academies, no OFSTED, no formal lesson plans - teachers basically winged it. This gave the good teachers the freedom to go off-piste and really make learning enjoyable. Some of them were truly inspirational. The downside was that the crap ones could cruise through a full career treating the kids with contempt and getting away with it. All the school cared about was coaching the naturally gifted kids and getting them into universities. The slower ones could go hang. Educational policies since then have attempted to address these problems, but seem to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. It's weeded out the time-serving bullies, but equally, those inspirational mavericks from my day wouldn't last five minutes. I don't know what the solution is, TBH. 

Interesting topic, remind me to discuss it with you sometime old man :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

When I was at school (state grammar school, 1960s) it was both better and worse. No national curriculum, no academies, no OFSTED, no formal lesson plans - teachers basically winged it. This gave the good teachers the freedom to go off-piste and really make learning enjoyable. Some of them were truly inspirational. The downside was that the crap ones could cruise through a full career treating the kids with contempt and getting away with it. All the school cared about was coaching the naturally gifted kids and getting them into universities. The slower ones could go hang. Educational policies since then have attempted to address these problems, but seem to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. It's weeded out the time-serving bullies, but equally, those inspirational mavericks from my day wouldn't last five minutes. I don't know what the solution is, TBH. 

I agree with this. They've essentially squeezed everything into the middle. The one's who shouldn't be anywhere near teaching get weeded out pretty quickly but so do the ones whose passion is teaching and not paperwork.

You have to be able to do both nowadays whilst also performing for performance management observations and the occasional visit from Ofsted.

That being said, as long as the school has been shown to be doing well they do you the decency of giving you 12 hours notice.

Some schools they just turn up in the car park the day of......

40 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I agree with this. They've essentially squeezed everything into the middle. The one's who shouldn't be anywhere near teaching get weeded out pretty quickly but so do the ones whose passion is teaching and not paperwork.

You have to be able to do both nowadays whilst also performing for performance management observations and the occasional visit from Ofsted.

That being said, as long as the school has been shown to be doing well they do you the decency of giving you 12 hours notice.

Some schools they just turn up in the car park the day of......

How realistic is the threat that you could be sacked for a below par Ofsted assessment?

Do you know many teachers who have lost their jobs due to a below par Ofsted assessments?

3 minutes ago, JB said:

Cyclists being allowed on dual carriageways. Insane. 

And most of the words removed don't even wear helmets or hi vis gear.

Even if they did, it's still ridiculously dangerous. Fair enough, they can risk their own lives but cars having to potentially suddenly slow down from 70mph (probably faster) or take other measures to avoid them is asking for trouble. Not to mention the absolute carnage they cause at junctions. The one I've just seen on the way home had the balls to give drivers a load of abuse as well!

People who leave a pub toilet cubicle in an absolute state (and I'm not talking number onesies here).  Look, I get that most of us will at some point in our lives have a close call or an emergency (hopefully much later on :P) but even if you do, try and have the basic **** decency to clean it up as best you can.  I walked into a place yesterday and ... tried to put myself in the mindset of someone who would do what I saw, think 'yep' and then just walk away from it.  Bloody feral ill-rared incontinent savage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

People who leave a pub toilet cubicle in an absolute state (and I'm not talking number onesies here).  Look, I get that most of us will at some point in our lives have a close call or an emergency (hopefully much later on :P) but even if you do, try and have the basic **** decency to clean it up as best you can.  I walked into a place yesterday and ... tried to put myself in the mindset of someone who would do what I saw, think 'yep' and then just walk away from it.  Bloody feral ill-rared incontinent savage.

The worst part is the risk of someone catching you walking out of there and assuming you're the culprit.

I made a bit of a mess in a toilet at a beach years ago, but it was the most urgent of emergencies and I was wearing a backpack at the time, which makes it very difficult to sit on the loo so had to basically stand up at a slight angle.  Got a bit of shit on my flip flop but most of it in the toilet.  I do think some people do it on purpose though, the savage bastards.

The toilets at my old office were disgusting. Incidents included nuggets of shit on the cubicle wall, a toilet clogged by an unnatural spherical turd, which looked like a burnt pineapple, surrounded by diarrhoea water and smelling like week old death, a toilet with an enormous snake like turd left in it looking distinctly like it was trying to escape, shit on the seat, a seat broken perfectly in half (it looked like someone had sawn through it), blood on the cubicle walls, dried snot smeared up the walls by the urinals that cleaners chipped off with wallpaper strippers every few months...

Yesterday I went to the cinema and had a dreadful experience, from entering to exit from chaos in the foyer to the screening having a group of lads in groups in the cinema climbing over the seats to see each other and share around food and drinks, including in other screens, constantly chattering and shouting in broken English. But I think it took the biscuit when, to return to the theme, the same lads were in the toilets afterwards and were stood at the urinals, but pissing on the floor. I was gobsmacked. After wasting my money with them ruining the film I just unleashed a tirade of swearing.

**** other people.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The toilets at my old office were disgusting. Incidents included nuggets of shit on the cubicle wall, a toilet clogged by an unnatural spherical turd, which looked like a burnt pineapple, surrounded by diarrhoea water and smelling like week old death, a toilet with an enormous snake like turd left in it looking distinctly like it was trying to escape, shit on the seat, a seat broken perfectly in half (it looked like someone had sawn through it), blood on the cubicle walls, dried snot smeared up the walls by the urinals that cleaners chipped off with wallpaper strippers every few months...

Yesterday I went to the cinema and had a dreadful experience, from entering to exit from chaos in the foyer to the screening having a group of lads in groups in the cinema climbing over the seats to see each other and share around food and drinks, including in other screens, constantly chattering and shouting in broken English. But I think it took the biscuit when, to return to the theme, the same lads were in the toilets afterwards and were stood at the urinals, but pissing on the floor. I was gobsmacked. After wasting my money with them ruining the film I just unleashed a tirade of swearing.

**** other people.

I now go to the cinema only to movies that start between the hours of midnight and 1AM on a Sunday morning. It's so much better, I usually have the whole screen to myself, none of these words removed ruining it for me. 

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

nuggets of shit on the cubicle wall, a toilet clogged by an unnatural spherical turd, which looked like a burnt pineapple, surrounded by diarrhoea water and smelling like week old death, a toilet with an enormous snake like turd left in it looking distinctly like it was trying to escape, shit on the seat, a seat broken perfectly in half (it looked like someone had sawn through it), blood on the cubicle walls, dried snot smeared up the walls by the urinals that cleaners chipped off with wallpaper strippers every few months...

Reads like the discography of a thrash metal band.

"Everyone agreed that 'Surrounded by diarrhoea water and smelling like week old death' was their seminal album and the highlight of their career, but 'Blood on the cubicle walls' was an impressive comeback."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I now go to the cinema only to movies that start between the hours of midnight and 1AM on a Sunday morning. It's so much better, I usually have the whole screen to myself, none of these words removed ruining it for me. 

This post reminded me of when the Star Wars thread desended into about 4 pages of arguing about eating in cinemas.

Â