Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Keith Richards: The Origin of the Species (BBC). None of the usual "debauched Stones" predictability, but an excellent account of growing up in the drab (but optimistic) postwar years. Loads of great footage from period ads, public information films, etc. Really good stuff. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Keith Richards: The Origin of the Species (BBC). None of the usual "debauched Stones" predictability, but an excellent account of growing up in the drab (but optimistic) postwar years. Loads of great footage from period ads, public information films, etc. Really good stuff. 

Most excellent use of the song 'Painter Man' by The Creation as part of the soundtrack.

It was on in the background and I had to stop what I was doing and wallow in that track, one of my all time faves. The sort that stands the test of time and has been in my 'ultimate' mixtape for about 30 years. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Just watched Classic Albums: Pet Sounds on BBC4. It was excellent, obviously. Very likely available on iPlayer. 

I watched too, very enjoyable but nothing in there I didn't already know.

except...I now know what a tack piano is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

saw trailers for 2 documentaries coming up on netflix

13th - something that's interested me since I saw Stephen fry go off on one about it on QI, the 13th amendment in America abolished slavery but that excludes prisoners, the states then locks up a ridiculous number of people, mainly black males, these prisoners are modern day slaves in effect, they graft for pennies and produce a decent chunk of the states manufacturing

sky ladder - not sure if people have seen the Chinese sky ladder fire work but it follows the bloke who did it, looks like a fire work artist who's responsible for London New Year's Eve style huge firework shows

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

yep, really good indeed, essential viewing in a way

Very much agree. Quite a few things learned for me. 

When James revisited, it will always amaze me about how beautiful the Irish countryside is. It never grows old. A shame that in some areas, wind farms are now commonplace. 

• 3 weeks later...

13th on netflix, its about the 13th amendment in the US constitution which abolished slavery but also had a clause written in to it that excluded convicts

its a very good documentary, really well put together with plenty of interesting interviewees, good use of music and doesnt overplay some of the shocking stats, starts with a history lesson taking in the civil rights movement, looks at how the prison system in america works then goes on to black lives matter, make no doubt about it this is a black lives matter documentary, its a history of how they've used prisons to curtail black people, be it through a disparity in sentencing between traditional black and white crimes or how history has portrayed the black man as a criminal

thats probably my issue with the film, theres a part in the middle where it looks at how american prisons are a business, they make silly amounts of money, was hoping they'd go on to look at how america have effectively propped up a portion of their economy through modern slavery, but they dont, they end it with a look at where we are today and the shootings and the black lives matter stuff

for me it does a very good job at looking at black people but a slightly disappointing job at looking at prisons and the american economy, still well worth a watch, the 2 minutes they do on donald trump is harrowing, one of the most powerful things ive seen in a documentary for a long time (dont worry they have a go at Hilary and especially bill clinton too)

• Like 1

Just watched "Twinsters" on (US) Netflix. Story of twin girls who were adopted from Korea (one girl went to USA, the other to France.) They only found out the other existed at the age of 25 via social media. Very worth the watch.

Edited by TheAuthority

On 17/10/2016 at 14:43, Xela said:

The Louis Theroux retrospective documentary on Savile is well worth a watch 

What an awful breed of mankind that nonce was . Unmarked grave ? He should of been dug up and incinerated . Johnny Lydon called him out years ago on a radio interview , and as a result got ostracised by the BBC . Even the so called do child protector Esther Ransen turned a blind eye , it makes me sick to my stomach and poor old Louis , the look of someone whose been totally violated .

• Like 1

Â