Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

I am desperately trying to get through Earthlings at the moment as many people say it's superb. I'm not really through any considerable part but so far it's reinforcing my carnivore instincts.
Hopefully it improves but if people actually think that's what the farming industry is like (or was like, it's 10 years old now) then they need to get the f out of the debate.

I'm really struggling to find docu's that aren't one sided, and yes, I know, Earthlings is the opposite of one of those.
For example that Russian World Cup doc on hooliganism was so annoying, I literally spent my time screaming at the screen 'What about normal fans!!!!'

Oh I also watched that new grime docu on BBC and I felt it was pretty boring. It felt as though 60's pirate radio was forgotten entirely.

It was made in America which has far more lenient animal welfare laws, and obviously shows the worst that they found. They obviously set out their own narrative, so you need to try and filter any bias out as with any other documentary; you never know what you're not being shown. Having said that, it's probably closer to the truth than the dancing, smiling cows and chickens on all of the egg/dairy/meat advertising, frollicking in the fields without a care in the world.

Apologies for Daily Heil, but it's only a few months since these were taken. the article's massive and the pictures aren't very pleasant, so I'll just include the summary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3861404/Her-head-torn-Disturbing-video-chickens-held-horrific-conditions-Costco-cage-free-barn.html

Injured, covered in feces and pecking each other to death: Shocking footage shot inside a Costco egg farm sheds light on 'humane' cage-free conditions

• WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
  • An animal rights group released video of hens living in horrific conditions
  • Group claims footage was shot this month at a cage-free farm in California that produces eggs for sale at Costco
  • Advocacy group Direct Action Everywhere identified the location as Pleasant Valley Farms in Farmington
  • Although the hens are not in cages, video shows them crowded together
  • Hens are covered in feces and blood, and others struggling to breathe
  • Chickens are seen attacking and eating one other in the upsetting footage

I'm sure things are great in British farms though. Oh.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/29/undercover-footage-reveals-horrific-cow-abuse-at-uk-dairy-farm-6349343/

Workers at a dairy farm have been secretly filmed punching tiny calves and kicking cows in the face. 

Undercover cameras were set up at Pyrland Farm following a tip-off from a local resident that animals were being systematically abused there.

And in just one day earlier this month multiple ‘attacks’ were caught on film at the farm in Taunton, Somerset.

In one incident, workers were filmed repeatedly kicking young calves to make them stand up.

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Two kids from Arbroath, convince the music industry that they're from California and contemporaries of D12. 

The-Great-Hip-Hop-Hoax_zpsrgj0qpnk.jpg

Yeah, it's a good watch. Made by the same woman, who made the film about Sound It Out record shop.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Made by the same woman, who made the film about Sound It Out record shop.

I've added that to the list but I've got Orion to watch next. The one about the bloke who sounded like Elvis, sang like Elvis, was on Elvis' record label two years after Elvis died and performed behind a mask. I've heard good things.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, choffer said:

I've added that to the list but I've got Orion to watch next. The one about the bloke who sounded like Elvis, sang like Elvis, was on Elvis' record label two years after Elvis died and performed behind a mask. I've heard good things.

Yeah, I think it's called Orion. Well worth a watch.

I've mentioned it once or twice before, but I work with the brother of Tom, who runs Sound It Out. My mate Chris can also been seen in the film, setting up decks, when he DJ'd at the shop on Record Store Day. The film has done the shop wonders. People have been from all over the world to visit, and Tom's expanded the shop since the film came out.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure it's been mentioned in here before (apologies if I've missed it) but Accidental Courtesy on Netflix is stunning. 

Musician Darryl Davis, who has played with Little Richard and Chuck Berry meets and befriends klansmen as a way to change their viewpoint. Fantastic human being. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a great documentary. Highly recommended. Shows how skewed the deaths in world war 2 were for the allies compared to Soviet and Germany. Very unbiased and simple, yet powerful. Poland, Russia, Germany and China all suffered horrendous losses compared to most other countries. It also shows how despicable some of the allied actions were towards the end of the war with blanket bombing and purposely targeting big towns with incendiary raids. My grandfather was in the RAF as a bomber pilot and would never open up about what happened in the later years of the war. You could see he suffered horrendously when someone spoke of Hamburg or Dresden with him. In his memoirs I later read that he wanted to bring his plane down so he didn't have to bomb Hamburg for a second night in a row where the women and children who died got to about 40.000 in a few short days.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The OJ Simpson 'Made in America' docu-series is on BBC4 at the minute, think it's 4/5 tonight and I missed the first one, but assume they will be on catch up/iPlayer 

well worth a watch :thumb:

I really enjoyed "The Day the Dinosaurs Died", largely helped by the presence of the lovely Prof Alice Roberts:

BBC Two website

The Day The Dinosaurs Died investigates the greatest vanishing act in the history of our planet - the sudden disappearance of the dinosaurs 66 million years ago.

Experts suspect that the dinosaurs were wiped out after a city-sized asteroid smashed into the Gulf of Mexico causing a huge crater. But until now, they haven't had any proof. In a world first, evolutionary biologist Ben Garrod joins a multi-million pound drilling expedition into the exact spot the asteroid hit to get hard evidence of the link. The team overcomes huge obstacles as it attempts to drill 1,500 metres beneath sea level to pull up rock from the Chicxulub crater.

Meanwhile, paleopathologist Professor Alice Roberts travels the globe meeting top scientists and gaining exclusive access to a mass fossil graveyard in New Jersey - believed to date from the same time the asteroid hit. Alice also treks by horseback across the remote plains of Patagonia, to see if the effects of the asteroid impact could have wiped out dinosaurs across the world - almost immediately.

Alice and Ben's investigations reveal startling new evidence of a link between the asteroid and the death of the dinosaurs, presenting a vivid picture of the most dramatic 24 hours in our planet's history. They illustrate what happened in the seconds and hours after the impact, revealing that had the huge asteroid struck the Earth a moment earlier, or later, the destruction might not have been total for the dinosaurs. And if they still roamed the world, we humans may never have come to rule the planet.

5 hours ago, PauloBarnesi said:

Not one to watch, one to listen to. Jeremy Bowen on the middle east

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08q4cls

Whatever is happening now there, and across the world, we have to take some of the blame for starting it after WWI

Describing Sykes-Picot as "winning the peace" when it was nothing more than empire 101 and the appearance of "collateral damage" is disappointing, the beeb clearly knows who pays the bills. Well worth a listen though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I caught this by accident over the weekend. It's a sort of play/documentary and it's very interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08zj2wq/performance-live-why-its-kicking-off-everywhere

A sort of potted history of how being angry with power structures got us from the Arab Spring to Trump - it's a short(ish) straightforward telling of recent history and it's very good.

• Like 1

Â