Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 11/3/2016 at 21:58, OutByEaster? said:

The new Adam Curtis film 'HyperNormalisation' is absolutely amazing. I know it's a tough ask, but you should find three hours of your life for it. It's on the BBC iplayer.

I am a big fan of Adam Curtis, especially his Century of the Self.

What I took from the above was that consumerism was invented to draw the population away from the thrall of religion and fascism, and that therefore narrowly restricts political options.

HN was interesting, even if I didn't agree with his conclusions - the story of how Trump became rich was illustrative and the way he went bankrupt was straight out of an airport novel.

On 1/29/2017 at 22:36, OutByEaster? said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08bcc18/storyville-zero-days-nuclear-cyber-sabotage

A really interesting documentary here on the development of cyber weapons to destroy Iranian nuclear reactors by the US and Israel (and to a lesser extent the UK) it's frightening how potent this stuff is.

Alex Gibney. Possibly the best documentary maker on the planet atm. Check everything he's ever done out is my advice :) 

imdb

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Completely tragic in places and you have to wonder where they'd be if they were as media savvy as tony hawk (who doesn't come out too well in the doc). 

No he does not. Hard to say whether it was all true but they definitely weren't embraced by Hawk at any point after which does point to some complicity. 

The saddest part was how little consideration or assistance they were given by the sport and state. A real tragedy.  

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay
  • Like 1

I tried Citizenfour the other day but couldn't get on with it. Found it quite boring just watching a bloke in a hotel room.

Currently watching the 5 part "OJ: Made in America" on the advice of a VTer on here.

Great stuff so far.

On 17/10/2016 at 13:35, villa4europe said:

13th on netflix, its about the 13th amendment in the US constitution which abolished slavery but also had a clause written in to it that excluded convicts

its a very good documentary, really well put together with plenty of interesting interviewees, good use of music and doesnt overplay some of the shocking stats, starts with a history lesson taking in the civil rights movement, looks at how the prison system in america works then goes on to black lives matter, make no doubt about it this is a black lives matter documentary, its a history of how they've used prisons to curtail black people, be it through a disparity in sentencing between traditional black and white crimes or how history has portrayed the black man as a criminal

thats probably my issue with the film, theres a part in the middle where it looks at how american prisons are a business, they make silly amounts of money, was hoping they'd go on to look at how america have effectively propped up a portion of their economy through modern slavery, but they dont, they end it with a look at where we are today and the shootings and the black lives matter stuff

for me it does a very good job at looking at black people but a slightly disappointing job at looking at prisons and the american economy, still well worth a watch, the 2 minutes they do on donald trump is harrowing, one of the most powerful things ive seen in a documentary for a long time (dont worry they have a go at Hilary and especially bill clinton too)

I'd presumed this was a new release but given you've written it up months ago, clearly not.

I sat through it last night and it was a real eye-opener in many ways. I'd pretty much agree with your assessment although I'm not convinced it is a BLM-sponsored effort. I think it focusses a bit too much on that particular movement and had it been made a year before or a year after, they'd have featured much less heavily. 

It makes very plausible arguments for the way in which America is governed for the benefit of the upper classes and shone a light on much that I was previously unaware of. Sure, some of it has to be taken with a pinch of salt but even if you put the BLM stuff to one side, it paints a worrying picture.

• Like 2

MV5BMjA0MzA1ODA5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc3

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3518012/

Watched that the other night and found it very entertaining. I had heard of the name Gore Vidal but I'm not really acquainted with him. I want to read Myra Breckinridge off the back of it though.

Centres around his TV debates with William Buckley during the 1968 primaries which saw ABC redefine the news genre into tit for tat exchanges with little debate, birth of news media and so on. But very watchable and informative (for me at least) and 90 minutes flew by. 

Edited by VILLAMARV

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:12, Stevo985 said:

Finished it yesterday.

Brilliant.

For anyone on the fence about watching this I've just noticed its massive odds on to win the best documentary at the Oscars, deserves it too.

Just finished it as well. Took a week to watch, but fascinating throughout. I was living in America when it all happened, and it brought back so many memories. Have to admit it was very hard to watch at times, and even now I feel for the victims, who got lost in the circus. Time certainly hasn’t healed these wounds.

Thoroughly recommended.

I'm watching an interesting drama documentary on the BBC.

BBC iPlayerProgramme website

The Attack: Terror in the UK

With a mass-casualty terror attack in the UK seen as almost inevitable, this drama documentary dramatises what terrorism experts fear is the most likely scenario for Britain's next major terror attack. Counterterrorism police believe that the greatest threat to our security comes from Marauding Terrorist Firearms Attacks (MTFA), which can result in dozens of fatalities even if armed police respond within minutes. There are more than a thousand high-priority terrorism suspects in the UK, but there are only enough surveillance officers to monitor a fraction of these at any time.

Based on extensive research, The Attack: Terror in the UK tells the story of an Islamic State-inspired terrorist group planning a firearms attack and follows the ongoing police investigation. It focuses on Joseph, a young man who, while in prison for drug and firearms charges, is recruited, converted and radicalised by Islamic extremists - highlighting the fear that links are being forged between jihadists and street gangs with access to automatic weapons.

Edited by trekka

On 1/31/2017 at 01:23, VILLAMARV said:

Alex Gibney. Possibly the best documentary maker on the planet atm. Check everything he's ever done out is my advice :) 

imdb

The Enron flick was absolute genius.

Â