Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

BBC4 did a great show on Tutankhamen the other day

dispelled the whack on the back of the head murder and falling of a chariot myths once and for all  

well worth a watch 

45 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Currently watching and enjoying, The Beatles: Eight Days a Week...

I think these fresh faced Scouse lads will go far, with their fresh sound. 

No chance.  Seen it all before.  They're just like a cross between Oasis and Take That.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Genie said:

This James Bulger documentary (now Channel 4).

Tried to watch it, couldn’t get through it. I’m normally not too bad with these sort of things but I found hearing the interview tapes fairly distressing.

It really was heart breaking even 25 years on.

The scenes when Thompson and scene led were taken to court were incredible, people would have torn them to pieces if they could get their hands on them.

I never remembered the similar incident in Norway that happen few years after, 2 6 year old boys beat a 5 year old girl to death and left her in a snow covered park dead. Obviously they were much too young to be charged and carried on living in the community. 

On 05/01/2018 at 22:34, dAVe80 said:

Currently watching and enjoying, The Beatles: Eight Days a Week...

I think these fresh faced Scouse lads will go far, with their fresh sound. 

It's not as good but the Netflix documentary how they changed the world is worth a watch, shame they missed out some of the civil rights stuff in America and last year there was a BBC documentary about the recording of sgt pepper from a technical perspective which better demonstrated how far ahead of everyone they were, but still pretty good

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's not as good but the Netflix documentary how they changed the world is worth a watch, shame they missed out some of the civil rights stuff in America and last year there was a BBC documentary about the recording of sgt pepper from a technical perspective which better demonstrated how far ahead of everyone they were, but still pretty good

Not seen the Netflix one, but the BBC one with Howard Goodall was brilliant. One in the eye for anyone who doesn't rate them as song writers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Not seen the Netflix one, but the BBC one with Howard Goodall was brilliant. One in the eye for anyone who doesn't rate them as song writers. 

Think I commented on that show in a thread somewhere 

Goodall seemed impressed but to my untrained view he seemed to be saying McCartney would switch from an E to a B sharp which any trained musician would tell you , you never do .. and the genius was that McCartney did 

i paraphrase it was a bit more complex than that but that seemed to be the gist of it ... 

i say that as a fan so not knocking them just trying to work out if that makes them good musicians or just charlatans :)

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Think I commented on that show in a thread somewhere 

Goodall seemed impressed but to my untrained view he seemed to be saying McCartney would switch from an E to a B sharp which any trained musician would tell you , you never do .. and the genius was that McCartney did 

i paraphrase it was a bit more complex than that but that seemed to be the gist of it ... 

i say that as a fan so not knocking them just trying to work out if that makes them good musicians or just charlatans :)

Charlatans.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not sure if serious. 

Don't want to derail the thread but I've never been a fan. Lennon had some talent as a songwriter but they weren't good instrumentalists. (Did you read the Quincy Jones article Xann's posted in another thread? He didn't have a good word to say about them.)

I think it was all about right place at the right time which is after all pretty much the entire pop industry since the Beatles. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Don't want to derail the thread but I've never been a fan. Lennon had some talent as a songwriter but they weren't good instrumentalists. (Did you read the Quincy Jones article Xann's posted in another thread? He didn't have a good word to say about them.)

Yeah, and he was tfe (Talking For Effect) - he also claimed to be In The Know about the JFK assassination. You, as a pro musician, must realise that there are no 'wrong' ways to play music (Schönberg says 'hi'). Not liking The Beatles is fine, but - in the context of pop music (especially in the 1960s), they were superb - despite, or because of, their limitations as self-taught rockers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I think it was all about right place at the right time which is after all pretty much the entire pop industry since the Beatles. 

Quincy Jones is as mad as a box of frogs , I wouldn't pay any creed to anything he says

• Like 1

Â