Jed Steer

samjp26

24 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Again, this is so frustrating.

Steer is absolutely fine at this level. All the millions we wasted on Nyland and Kalinic that should have been spent elsewhere.

I'm just happy for him. He has an international goalkeeper on the bench, so he has the impetus to keep it up. He didn't have to do much today to be fair.

It is the Championship. We are a Championship team. He has done it at Championship level and had good reviews.

I think he will leave on a free in the summer as he won't want to be no.2 and we won't have a 7m goalkeeper on the bench.

It is a shame really. Just never got the breaks or luck at the right time. Could have all been different.

I figured him starting last week was due to maybe following some kind of concussion protocol with Kalinic, though that made little sense with Kalinic still being on the bench. 

The spot is now Steer's to lose it seems. I felt he was unlucky with the Stoke goal last week as it was so close to him, came through a body and a silky finish. Very little time to react and he actually got a stronger hand on it than others would.

Today he had nothing to do so hard to comment, I'd have kept a clean sheet too. Happy for him to continue, seems a solid championship keeper. Competition is a good thing. 7m or not, if he's better than Kalinic he will stay next season. We've spent a lot more than that on players who were car wrecks and nowhere near the first team.

18 minutes ago, Avcol said:

The spot is now Steer's to lose it seems.

And it's so frustrating to me.

Imagine if we spent all those millions on a right or left back instead. Or a better def midfielder than Whelan

Steer is good enough at this level, always has been.

Edited by villalad21

I remember when we played hull in the Monday night game first weekend of the season. The 1-3 scoreline was a bit deceptive . Steer was excellent. Stopped lots of goal bound shots that night. Then gets dropped for a fella who couldn't catch a cold.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I remember when we played hull in the Monday night game first weekend of the season. The 1-3 scoreline was a bit deceptive . Steer was excellent. Stopped lots of goal bound shots that night. Then gets dropped for a fella who couldn't catch a cold.

He's been treated poorly by the football club for a long time.

For me based on his performances he would be my number 1 if both Nyland and Kalinic was fit.

He is one of a few who are out of contract at the end of the season, that I would offer a contract to. Especially as it's rumoured that Nyland wants to leave. If we're still a Championship side next season, I'd also try and shift Kalinic, and promote Sarkic to be Steers backup.

As sad as it is he looks better and more reliable than both Nyland and Kalinic which we spent millions on.

I don't know if i'm alone in this but whenever Kalinic or Nyland plays i always feel like i have my heart in my throat every time the opposition put's in a cross or on set pieces. when Steer plays i feel much more calm.

Edited by villalad21

On 05/03/2019 at 12:10, eddiemunster said:

He is one of a few who are out of contract at the end of the season, that I would offer a contract to. Especially as it's rumoured that Nyland wants to leave. If we're still a Championship side next season, I'd also try and shift Kalinic, and promote Sarkic to be Steers backup.

Not a chance they will move Kalinic n when he only signed in January.

Â