Canadian 'free agent' fan picks Aston Villa as his new team

Zatman

Welcome to the fold, don't forget your sense of humour, you'll need it :) 

Without a doubt it's already one of the finest decisions in your life sir, but OOI how come you're disolusioned following Barca? I dream of seeing us play like Barca do sometimes! 

The Barcelona thing has nothing to do with what happens on the pitch, football-wise.  It has everything to do with the fact that every game, every reference, every supporter reverts back to the political situation of Catalonia, and they use these home games as a stump from which to preach their separatist ways.  I have no issue with their views nor their reasons for not wanting to be part of Spain.  What I have an issue with is that their games represent much less sport and much more politics, and when I watch football, I want to see and hear about football...not about why the team on the field is purportedly a pillar for the issues that plague the population around it.  If Spain was a united place, I'd feel much differently about it than I do.  I even saw this years ago when separatist chatter was more minimal.  But now, every game has to somehow feature the Catalan flag in massive fashion, making me wonder who is playing...a club team, or the Catalan (national) regional team?  There is another team in BCN, RCD Espanyol, but they get shit on by the greater public in comparison to FCB.  I had a hunch to simply walk across town and join them originally, but if they ever improve to a top flight team, the same political shit will come out of there, too. Hence, the Premier League was my landing spot.

no worries, we only have little plastic flags at villa park these days ;P

Great story and welcome to the fraternity! I remember my first ever trip to Birmingham and Villa Park and both the club and supporters went out of their way to make it a special visit. Certainly, not something I could see any of the glamour clubs replicating.

I recently wrote a blog post about foreign clubs developing a fanbase in Asia. It has a few Villa references. It's a bit on the negative side, so makes a perfect read for the Villa faithful!

• 4 months later...

Well, it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.  I was wondering after the fixture list from hell at the start of the season, some memorable wins (Man City at home being a spectacular example), the mind numbing inconsistencies in the quality of the football with sublime and ridiculous demonstrated in almost equal measure how AVFCLion2013 is feeling about his inaugural season as a Villa fan so far?

• 1 year later...

Welcome to the family, dude! :)

You should be very proud of yourself.  If all were like you, there would be less hate in the world.  Enjoy the ride. 

Edited by trekka

Â