Canadian 'free agent' fan picks Aston Villa as his new team

Zatman

Finally, I make a debut here in Villa Talk... It's been a pretty interesting ride since I got this crazy idea a month or so ago. I might take this moment to thank all the Villa faithful out there who made this campaign a complete whitewash versus every other Premier League team. What started as a campaign to see how team officials could illustrate what made their clubs special, it quickly turned into a campaign engineered by the fans...of Aston Villa. I could have let this thing ride out for a month and nobody would've caught up to the lead built by the Villa backers from Day 1. To SeanO: you are right, there are too many ManU bandwagon jumpers over here, but not all of us are such as you can see. To TrentVilla: "odd" is a fair assessment, but then again, I am wired a little differently than most, and it's served me well in life and business. To CarewsEyebrowDesigner: no, I am not employed by the club. To HeyAnty: uksoccershop.com (there's that word again) offers 24 quid for 2 day shipping to my business address in Buffalo, NY for a boatload of loot. To jimmygreaves: right. because fake fans dive in head first and buy 2 full season seats despite living 4,000 miles away...don't be bitter, jimmy, be better. To DelboyVilla: no need for generalizations...Robin Van der Laan doesn't allow my son to call it "soccer," neither do I...and offside, as you know it, is a stupid rule the way it's set, subject to too many BS wrong calls, and should be tweaked. To HalfTimePost: You should see the stupid shit that gets written on American pro sports' message boards and forums...at least you guys have a great sense of humor about most stuff here. To Wainy316: The NHL is a complete insignificant waste of time...don't bother. To Raver50032: You remind me of people from Dayton, Ohio when you speak that way. Lol. Glad to be aboard!!!

Hmmmm how do we know this is not an impostor?  :detect:

Could you hold up a sign saying Scuba Steve on your twitter? 

:ph34r:

• Like 2

Welcome to the fold, don't forget your sense of humour, you'll need it :) 

Without a doubt it's already one of the finest decisions in your life sir, but OOI how come you're disolusioned following Barca? I dream of seeing us play like Barca do sometimes! 

Without a doubt it's already one of the finest decisions in your life sir, but OOI how come you're disolusioned following Barca? I dream of seeing us play like Barca do sometimes! 

The Barcelona thing has nothing to do with what happens on the pitch, football-wise.  It has everything to do with the fact that every game, every reference, every supporter reverts back to the political situation of Catalonia, and they use these home games as a stump from which to preach their separatist ways.  I have no issue with their views nor their reasons for not wanting to be part of Spain.  What I have an issue with is that their games represent much less sport and much more politics, and when I watch football, I want to see and hear about football...not about why the team on the field is purportedly a pillar for the issues that plague the population around it.  If Spain was a united place, I'd feel much differently about it than I do.  I even saw this years ago when separatist chatter was more minimal.  But now, every game has to somehow feature the Catalan flag in massive fashion, making me wonder who is playing...a club team, or the Catalan (national) regional team?  There is another team in BCN, RCD Espanyol, but they get shit on by the greater public in comparison to FCB.  I had a hunch to simply walk across town and join them originally, but if they ever improve to a top flight team, the same political shit will come out of there, too. Hence, the Premier League was my landing spot.

• Like 1

Last time I went to Toronto, we got the train to Niagara Falls, and on the table next to me was another Villa fan.  Then when we walked over the bridge into New York State, the bloke in the Canadian customs office said he followed Villa as well.  It's a hot bed of latent Villaism I tells yer!

The Barcelona thing has nothing to do with what happens on the pitch, football-wise.  It has everything to do with the fact that every game, every reference, every supporter reverts back to the political situation of Catalonia, and they use these home games as a stump from which to preach their separatist ways.  I have no issue with their views nor their reasons for not wanting to be part of Spain.  What I have an issue with is that their games represent much less sport and much more politics, and when I watch football, I want to see and hear about football...not about why the team on the field is purportedly a pillar for the issues that plague the population around it.  If Spain was a united place, I'd feel much differently about it than I do.  I even saw this years ago when separatist chatter was more minimal.  But now, every game has to somehow feature the Catalan flag in massive fashion, making me wonder who is playing...a club team, or the Catalan (national) regional team?  There is another team in BCN, RCD Espanyol, but they get shit on by the greater public in comparison to FCB.  I had a hunch to simply walk across town and join them originally, but if they ever improve to a top flight team, the same political shit will come out of there, too. Hence, the Premier League was my landing spot.

Thanks for that explanation , VILLAMARV asked the question that puzzled me, as we certainly don't play the brand of football that Barca do, and perhaps your answer shines a light on a less attractive feature of 'the greatest club side in the world' long ignored Well done Sir

Anyway welcome to the fold, strap on your seatbelt this will be a bumpy ride. You have certainly joined us at an interesting point in our long history, I would suggest a quick read of the optimist ans pessimist threads to illustrate just how schizophrenic we villans have become. After last season we are either (1) A doomed bunch of cheap inexperienced kids, led by a man with poor tactical skills and little support from the club owner. Or (2) the brightest and most exciting young side in the premier league led by a genius in the transfer market who is supported by an owner who finally has learnt from early mistakes.

You sound like a positive individual well capable of making your own mind up, so read the comments with the big 'pinch of salt' they need and you will love being a part of the crazy world that is Aston Villa

• Like 1

Welcome AVFCLion2013!

I was interested to see that you cited the club’s name as one of the things that made it attractive to you. I’ve always thought that Aston Villa is a beautiful name, although I’ve never been in a position to compare it objectively with other football club names, because supporting Villa was “in the family” to begin with.

This got me wondering what other club I would support if (hypothetically) I was going to choose a club solely on the basis of how good its name sounded.

The best I can think of is Galatasaray, although I’m not quite sure why. Maybe I just like the sound of all those As... It wouldn’t be a bad choice I suppose. They are nicknamed “Aslanlar” (The Lions) and apparently hold the world record for the loudest ever recorded stadium roar, so that’s a couple of points in their favour.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? What clubs in England / the world have the best-sounding names? Lokomotiv Plovdiv? NAC Breda? Hull City? I’m struggling to think of any that really capture the imagination...

Welcome AVFCLion2013!

I was interested to see that you cited the club’s name as one of the things that made it attractive to you. I’ve always thought that Aston Villa is a beautiful name, although I’ve never been in a position to compare it objectively with other football club names, because supporting Villa was “in the family” to begin with.

This got me wondering what other club I would support if (hypothetically) I was going to choose a club solely on the basis of how good its name sounded.

The best I can think of is Galatasaray, although I’m not quite sure why. Maybe I just like the sound of all those As... It wouldn’t be a bad choice I suppose. They are nicknamed “Aslanlar” (The Lions) and apparently hold the world record for the loudest ever recorded stadium roar, so that’s a couple of points in their favour.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? What clubs in England / the world have the best-sounding names? Lokomotiv Plovdiv? NAC Breda? Hull City? I’m struggling to think of any that really capture the imagination...

Omonia Nicosia

LondonLax: Done. pic posted on twitter. Lol

Ha ha, brilliant.  Now please read this thread: http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/5309-the-villatalkcom-honeytrap-aka-thread-of-the-year-2011/

Holy God. I had not read that before. I just got to the picture of the guy holding "I AM CLEARING IN WOODS" sign and am now dying. Thank you for a very enjoyable afternoon.

Â