Nicklas Helenius

bickster

His attitude was supposed to be one of his strengths, wasn't it? He was praised for being hard working and willing to improve on his weaknesses.

Edited by packoman
  • Like 1

It's all very well taking punts on players like Helenius, Bowery, Luna, Tonev and all, but even though they didn't cost the earth, it's what little money we had being utterly wasted.  I doubt we'll get back what we paid for any of them.

Looks like he want to move on in danish media, and there is no longer anybody in Villa keeping him here - no plans with him. I don't understand how we got here, from being signed for next season, to be leaving after the first. I know that he has been missing some communication from Lambert, as to why he went out of the team before christmas, where he was regularely on the bench. Quite odd, as i got the impression that Lambert had been good at laying out a plan and talking to Helenius upon signing him. I am a bit dissapointet, because i still feel that he could be good in the Villa-shirt. He newer really got a good chance, despite many injuries. There has never been any problems with him in training in Aalborg - we don't breed that kind of players. So that also sounds strange to me, if that is the reports.

Cornelius ended up costing 7M£ in pure transfer difference, even if you send bach Helenius for free, the cost have been at around 1-1,5M£. I hope that can be sold or loaned to a dutch/belgian club, and maybe get going again.

• Like 1

So, can we take it that the excuse of "he was brought for the future and said himself that he didn't expect to play much this season" is a load of old chuff?

It's all very well taking punts on players like Helenius, Bowery, Luna, Tonev and all, but even though they didn't cost the earth, it's what little money we had being utterly wasted.  I doubt we'll get back what we paid for any of them.

No-one, not even lord God almighty could shop in the 1-2 million pound bracket for 20 year olds and grab a gem every time, a third of the time would be a great return, even for Him/Her. That 1 in 3 that works pays for the rest in resale.

He joined at the wrong time, in fact most of the new signings did. The victims of circumstance and a manager unwilling to take a chance on anything different and in general sticking with the same old same old even when it plain wasn't nearly effective enough.

• Like 1

Just as a mildly amusing observation, Helenius (who cost, what, less than £1.5m?) has scored as many (or more goals) in England this season than...

•Ricky van Wolfswinkel who cost ~£8.5m

•Iago Aspas who cost ~£8m

•Andreas Cornelius who cost ~£7.5m

•Arounda Koné who cost ~£6m

...all of whom got more game time as well.  It's simplifying a comparison somewhat, but it did elicit a titter.  Hell, even with the amount Cardiff got from selling Cornelius back, their total outlay was still more than double ours.  I hope he does get given a proper chance at some point rather than getting sold off, but if he does leave at least we didn't spunk away a heap of cash for nothing à la Balaban.

image0013575169685904f41cb.gif

I'm worth every penny Gareth, and you know it!

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 2

So, can we take it that the excuse of "he was brought for the future and said himself that he didn't expect to play much this season" is a load of old chuff?

I'm not sure why we should, both he and Lambert literally said as much when he signed. Those quotes were actually part of his initial interviews on the OS.

There combined transer fees and wages still couldn't buy a decent CAM. Says it all.

Â