Nicklas Helenius

bickster

He joined at the wrong time, in fact most of the new signings did. The victims of circumstance and a manager unwilling to take a chance on anything different and in general sticking with the same old same old even when it plain wasn't nearly effective enough.

More likely he joined with the wrong amount of footballing skill and is just rank awful. Cardiff binned his more highly rated compatriot pretty swiftly.

You can't really believe he is a quality prospect who rips it up in training but the stubborn and incompetent manager just doesn't realise and sticks with a 'jobs for the boys' strategy (or 'jobs for the real men' for Holt). 

We all wanted him to be a hidden gem when we signed him, in reality he isn't even a cubic zirconia. 

He joined at the wrong time, in fact most of the new signings did. The victims of circumstance and a manager unwilling to take a chance on anything different and in general sticking with the same old same old even when it plain wasn't nearly effective enough.

More likely he joined with the wrong amount of footballing skill and is just rank awful. Cardiff binned his more highly rated compatriot pretty swiftly.

You can't really believe he is a quality prospect who rips it up in training but the stubborn and incompetent manager just doesn't realise and sticks with a 'jobs for the boys' strategy (or 'jobs for the real men' for Holt)

We all wanted him to be a hidden gem when we signed him, in reality he isn't even a cubic zirconia. 

That is exactly what I believe 

Are you now anti-Lambert SJP???

Well, I said all along that I'd wait till the end of the season to give a proper opinion. Am I 'anti-Lambert'? No. Do I believe he is he right man to take the club forward? No.

Made some poor decisions and although we've had injuries etc, I think we need somebody new. That said, I can't see any real progress happening until a takeover is complete.

I think we've come about as close to finding out whether Lambert's good enough as we have to finding out whether Helenius is.

We have fairly clear evidence that both of them are shite. Lambert is self evident, Bowery getting a start while Helenius can't get on the bench ahead of some academy players, is also pretty clear cut.

Lambert signed him, he has a vested interest in proving his managerial skills by demonstrating the value of his transfers, especially considering how shite most of his signings have been. Why would he deliberately hold him back when he is fighting for his job for any other reason than he is absolutely rank? 

Premier League signings under 4 million pounds (most of Lambert's signings) are very often shite. Some of Lambert's have been good, and his more expensive ones have been very good. We don't know for sure what Lambert could do if he were allowed to sign players for more money than that, but the signings of Benteke, Vlaar and Kozak have all been good, and they're the only ones we paid proper Premier League transfer fees for.

It's interesting how you've criticised PL for signing a supposedly shite player in Helenius AND criticised him for not playing him.

We all want to see academy players get a shot, but really the manager (whoever he is) probably has a better idea whether they're ready or not than we do. Suggesting that we'd have done better if we played them is unscientific to say the least.

I'm as baffled about why Helenius hasn't featured as anyone else, but Lambert will have his reasons. Criticising them without knowing what they are is also a bit unscientific don't you think? 

• Like 1

It's interesting how you've criticised PL for signing a supposedly shite player in Helenius AND criticised him for not playing him.

We all want to see academy players get a shot, but really the manager (whoever he is) probably has a better idea whether they're ready or not than we do. Suggesting that we'd have done better if we played them is unscientific to say the least.

I'm as baffled about why Helenius hasn't featured as anyone else, but Lambert will have his reasons. Criticising them without knowing what they are is also a bit unscientific don't you think? 

If that was aimed at me I certainly didn't criticise Lambert for not playing him. I assumed that the only logical reason for not playing him was that he was shite, especially given the fact he was a Lambert signing and couldn't be subject to bias as someone else's player. If someone who has the ability to become a Premier league manager rates you as worse than Jordan Bowery, then you might as well pack your bags.

If we went back a few years everyone would have been saying 'give Balaban a chance' and talking about the 'high hopes' for Nii Lamptey. They never played because they were shite, and almost certainly, Helenius is too. Am just surprised some people still cling to the hope that he is going to make it here.

For that to be true you have to believe that our 23 year old 7th choice striker is actually a decent player, which requires a suspension of disbelief considering how shite we are.

Edited by botak
  • Like 1

I find it really hard to believe that he was that bad in training. He is actually a decent finisher but maybe the pace of the game was just too high for him to cope. Still think it`s bullshit that he basically never got the shot at all, considering he scored in pre-season and in the cup when he had the chance. Instead Bowery was the most preferred backup and for some reason, Grant Holt got loaned in. Maybe there is more to it or that something happened behind the scenes as I find it very odd.

Another thing I pointed out was that after the Sheffield match, Lambert said Helenius would get more chances coming up which seem to go along with the "plan" for him all along but it never happened. We never saw him again, what happened there? I think that was around in the middle of January, which means Holt was brought in later. Maybe something happened between that time? If not, why not send him out on loan in the championship for a month or rest of the season? One of the things that really pissed me off about Lambert. :rant:

Â