Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

ASM was certainly the difference last night. Wood looks to be completely out of form and lacking confidence right now. Trippier and Targett were solid and obviously improved the back line. However, make no mistake, Everton were pretty much woeful for the whole game.

They have given themselves a very good chance of staying up now but it won’t be easy. Targett can’t play at the weekend against us and Trippier could be a doubt also after coming off with a calf injury.

If ASM gets injured and misses games then they’ll continue to struggle right until the end of the season.  Everton could be the ones to watch because Frank needs to find a winning formula and quickly.

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Incredible how someone can kick the ball in their own face in that situation.  It's like a football equivalent of that bloke from East 17 running himself over after eating too many potatoes, just the sheer physics of it should make it impossible but it happened.

Say what now?!

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

That’s one of my favourite stories of all time. Although, to be fair, he didn’t eat too many potatoes - he was carrying a potato and dropped it while getting into his car, then leaned out and under the car to pick it up and ended up falling out and running over his own head.

The physics makes sense, but literally nothing else about the story does!

Have to admit, I'm kind of angry that I've got this far in my life without knowing this story. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

That’s one of my favourite stories of all time. Although, to be fair, he didn’t eat too many potatoes - he was carrying a potato and dropped it while getting into his car, then leaned out and under the car to pick it up and ended up falling out and running over his own head.

The physics makes sense, but literally nothing else about the story does!

Are you sure? My recollection was he’d eaten too many.

A quick search suggests that was the case. I can’t see anything to the contrary. Even the telegraph reported it as a result of him eating too many baked potatoes.

Ooh we talking the Brian Harvey potato incident?  This is right up my cultural milieu; yeah he ran over himself because he was half-leaning out of his car trying to eat a baked potato (I can't quite remember whether it was beans, cheese, both or neither on top), dropped the potato, went to pick it up, kicked the handbrake off, fell out and the car rolled over him.  Such as I remember it transpiring, any rate.

Apropos of nothing, I can also be consulted on such topics as how PJ got blinded in Byker Grove, and that rumour of the kid who found an all-chocolate Kit-Kat in his lunchbox.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Are you sure? My recollection was he’d eaten too many.

A quick search suggests that was the case. I can’t see anything to the contrary. Even the telegraph reported it as a result of him eating too many baked potatoes.

I might actually have misremembered it, having done some further investigation. It appears he did indeed eat too many potatoes, then ran over his own head as a result of trying to lean out of the car and throw up.

The full story is here, although I'm not going to provide an excerpt as is customary on the site because the actual accident sounds pretty horrifying and much more serious / less funny than has previously been made out. Maybe don't read it - he actually got quite badly hurt.

Conveniently, a funny joke turning out to be an incredibly grim and depressing story seems an appropriate metaphor in a thread about Newcastle and Saudi Arabia.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Ooh we talking the Brian Harvey potato incident?  This is right up my cultural milieu; yeah he ran over himself because he was half-leaning out of his car trying to eat a baked potato (I can't quite remember whether it was beans, cheese, both or neither on top), dropped the potato, went to pick it up, kicked the handbrake off, fell out and the car rolled over him.  Such as I remember it transpiring, any rate.

Apropos of nothing, I can also be consulted on such topics as how PJ got blinded in Byker Grove, and that rumour of the kid who found an all-chocolate Kit-Kat in his lunchbox.

Paintball!!! It was a paintball accident!!! BOOM! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

They will finish ahead of us

I was going to say that. They have the momentum now. In a few years we won't be laughing that them. If we do we will be beheaded after the state of Saudi Aribia buy the league. 

I've watched their three wins and the annoying thing about them is that in each one they've actually been poor but they have been helped out by us and Everton being even poorer, Leeds should have battered them but they themselves were poor in the final third. If we'd have played anything like we've done in our previous games we would have beaten them comfortably.

It's how poor they've been despite their wins that makes me think we will still finish above them as teams playing rubbish against them won't last forever. It is looking unlikely that they will get relegated now though.

• Like 1

Â