Christian Benteke

Kwan

Quick question,

When the inevitable occurs & we sell him shouldn't we be taking into account the new levels of money Prem teams now have? I mean realistically with that in mind surely 30m for a hot property such as Benteke,  who is behind only the Messi & Ronaldo's of this world in scoring terms last season & that with a struggling team no less as compared to Barca & R Madrid who create countless chances,  also with him having 3 years on his contract as well as being only 22?

Nay i say!

Surely we should have been asking 30m LAST summer for such a player? But now the fees for Prem players is going to skyrocket by comparison surely & we should now be asking more like 50m in my opinion. After all thats what Chelski paid for Torres a couple of years ago & things have moved on since then.

• Like 1

I just want him to stay for one more year! Cut above anybody I have seen in the Villa colours before. Couldn't begrudge him leaving (to a top European club), but it doesn't make it any easier!!

What is the point of second guessing things that might or might not happen based something else which might or might not happen? It means RL..., PL won't get the money anyway..., we're a nothing club..., other players are bound to leave as well..., FFS. :bang:

Well CB's not even left yet for any of those things to be even a possibility. 

It's worse than another bugbear of mine - from the morning news - "The PM is expected to announce blah in a speech this morning". Fine, bring me the announcement and I'll listen myself or summarise it for me when you've heard it! Don't make it out as news before it's even happened!

If the club wants him to stay they will pay what they need to, and could pay more than Tottenham, Dortmund, and Arsenal would be prepared to pay for a 22 year old with one good season behind him. I think we would match Liverpool too, that means how big a name will tempt him. The boy's a nailed on star of the future but few would pay more than £70K p.w. for a 22 year old.

He's worth that to us, because we will get £25-30m next summer and we need a season of stability.

If his agent has an ounce of sense, he will see his client get a healthy pay rise, and guaranteed first team football at a respected club before the World Cup. If he has a decent PL season plus a good world cup, he could be worth £40m next summer and at 23/24 years old take his pick of big clubs and £150K a week. Villa are in control as we hold his registration, theres no way he is going to jeopardise a world cup place if he strikes? It suits everyone for him to stay for one more season.

To be honest, I would have thought that his agent ,as well as the man himself, would realise that at least 1 more season at Villa is the smartest thing to do. He's had a cracking first season here and he would be guaranteed a start for every match of the season, providing he is fit. He fits into the squad and he works brilliantly with our style of play. Granted, he could move to Spurs or whoever, but what's to say that he could just be benched for the majority of the season, or he could just flop? 1 more season at Villa would probably cement his already outstanding reputation (or go the other way if he has a bad season, but I can't see him completely ballsing it up to be honest..). Fingers are crossed, get the bloody job done!

There is no guarantee that he reproduces the same form next year...would 10 goals be a letdown? If he wants to go, let's get top dollar and move on, I really hope this doesn't drag on

I hope its sorted before pre season.

If he choses to go, then so be it. He will still be held highly in my regards as he's helped inject some serious joy and passion into the club of late

If he choses to stay then I'm happy. 

Be devastated if he went to Liverpool. other than that, Its not the end of the world if he goes - But if Lambo doesn't get the whole £30m to invest - then I have serious issues - and so I imagine would lambo.

Edited by smetrov

I think he'll stay 1 more season, we'll end up paying him what he wants for 12 months and a fat cheque to keep his agent happy til next summer. Probably worth every penny as we can cash in next summer. Also gives lambert 12 months to scout a replacement

Not that worried. Neither Dortmund nor Arsenal will pay him what we will (right now he earns more than Lewandowski let alone after we increase his comp), Liverpool is a mid table club same as us so they are not a serious problem.. The only club that seriously concerns me is Chelsea but happily with Mou coming in we can hope his targets will be Spanish.

Not that worried. Neither Dortmund nor Arsenal will pay him what we will (right now he earns more than Lewandowski let alone after we increase his comp), Liverpool is a mid table club same as us so they are not a serious problem.. The only club that seriously concerns me is Chelsea but happily with Mou coming in we can hope his targets will be Spanish.

What? Are you saying in our current status we are in same position as Liverpool tablewise?

Not trying to be harsh, but there are some delusional posts out here...

Edited by Alakagom

Worried he will be off to either Ath Madrid or Dortmund, Falcao is off to either Chelsea or Madrid and Lewandowski to Bayern, two clubs who then will be looking for replacement e.g. Benteke and can offer first team football and CL.

Lets just be clear. It wont be sorted until the window closes. Even if he is staying there will be reports all summer that he is moving. Even if he signs a new contract tomorrow, there will be reports all summer that he is moving.

Even if it is sorted before pre-season, It's not going to be sorted before the window closes in the media and other clubs' eyes. The only way this gets sorted quickly is if we sell him quickly, which we wont.

It would be nice if he signed a contract and the media left it alone but it isn't going to happen.

What? Are you saying in our current status we are in same position as Liverpool tablewise?

Not trying to be harsh, but there are some delusional posts out here...

I am saying Liverpool is not a significant step up from us. The gap between the top 5 and the rest of the PL is night and day.

They are without question a bigger club than us (sucks to say it but it is true) but he wouldnt gain anything from going there. He would go to a genuinely big club with CL football imho.

Worried he will be off to either Ath Madrid or Dortmund, Falcao is off to either Chelsea or Madrid and Lewandowski to Bayern, two clubs who then will be looking for replacement e.g. Benteke and can offer first team football and CL.

Madrid is a possibility but Dortmund cannot afford his wages. Seriously, they lose players because of this. I see no evidence it is about to change.

If going then do not want to sell in England.. He would destroy our defence.. Dortmund would be good and give him the chance to develop into the world star we all think he will become.. £25m plus and I wouldn't be so despondent (even though obviously would love to see him stay)

Benteke would do well to weigh up the Carroll scenario.

The grass is not always greener...and important international considerations to be made, he may be just looking for a good pay deal from us.

Â